Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I the only window seat lover here??

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2005, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Gold
Question Am I the only window seat lover here??

I have read all the threads about switching seats and whether you would agree or not but nearly everyone agrees "no window seat"

Am I the only one who would jump at the window if I am not assigned it?? Just curious (wine in the lounge does that to me ! )

Before you say something about height I am 6 foot 2 or 187 cm...

Last edited by 747sardine; May 18, 2005 at 4:13 pm Reason: Removed defunct url
Old May 18, 2005, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
On transcons, I generally prefer the window seat when traveling in J or F (not in Y; I feel too trapped). However, I sometimes will book the aisle and hope that the window seat will remain open to get the row to myself. If I book the window, I certainly will have someone in the aisle next to me.
Old May 18, 2005, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Gold
Y is when I need the window the most...Once on Swiss in J I asked for the window and the check-in woman looked at me like I was insane.
Old May 18, 2005, 4:17 pm

Programs: United MP
No, you're not alone. I always try for a window seat.
Old May 18, 2005, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
It depends: traveling by myself, I prefer aisle Y, J, or F except on a couple of interesting approaches, and then, only if I'm upfront. However, if I'm traveling with my partner (even in Y), I prefer the window. I can take up some of her legroom on an angle and be facing outwards without moving into the aisle.
Old May 18, 2005, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Short haul: Window
Long haul: Aisle

My definition of long-haul is anything over four hours.
Old May 18, 2005, 4:49 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I really, really like window seats. On a short flight, I would rather have a window seat in coach than an aisle seat in First Class. On a longer flight, I will settle for an aisle seat in First Class.

I hate aisle seats so much that I would rather have a middle seat than an aisle seat! I have sat in middle seats before (coach, naturally), and believe me, it is just as cramped and has the same crummy legroom of the aisle seat. At least from the middle seat, I can get a better view through the window than from the aisle seat.

I spend several hundred hours a year on a plane, have never tired of looking out the window, and probably never will.

On a train or bus, I want the window seat as well.
Old May 18, 2005, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I want window seats except on the shortest flights (less than 2 hours). But for me, this is so that I can get some sleep without being disturbed all round.
Old May 18, 2005, 5:12 pm

I love window seats, short hauls and long hauls alike. I need something to lean against while I am sleeping and dont like having to get up whenever somebody needs to use the lav.
Old May 18, 2005, 5:16 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
>Am I the only one who would jump at the window if I am not assigned it??

No - The window seat is the only way to go. Last Feb. I flew from FRA to YVR. The views out the window of Baffin Island, and Hudson Bay were outstanding. The window fuselage is also a great place to rest yoru head.

The window seats in the over-wing DASH-8 flying skidoos are particualarly good, as you can watch the landing gear go up and down and contact the runway. Great stuff.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada
Old May 18, 2005, 5:20 pm

I always like a window seat so I can sleep on the plane if it is a long haul flight. Short haul I still like the window so I can look out.
Old May 18, 2005, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Generally, I prefer an aisle, but sometimes I like a window seat.

I flew to Hawaii for the first time this January, and I had a window seat in F on the left side of the plane. The view was breathtaking as we circled counterclockwise around Oahu and landed in HNL.

If there is a really cool view to be had, or even a new one to me, I like windows. I also like a window if I'm in the bulkhead, because there's a lot more room.

Window seats in the back of coach suck, though, especially on the MD-80 in the back row. The engine is literally right outside the window and roaring in your ear.
Old May 18, 2005, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton DIA, Marriott Gld
Window for me

I almost always prefer the window for the following reasons:

-better for sleeping as you can usually lean against the side of the plane
-no disturbance from people getting up and down (unless its you )
-can enjoy the scenery outside, if there is any
-control of the shade
Old May 18, 2005, 5:55 pm

I'm a window guy myself for all of the reasons already stated. Additionally, I have a bad knee so I always try and go for any seat A, so that the FAs with carts and my fellow pax don't hit my knee which could accidentally cause my elbow to ram into their jaw
Old May 18, 2005, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Red-eye's are the only time I pick a window, and then usually a bulkhead so I can get out without disturbing others. I'm kinda tall so I like extending my legs into the aisle when it's not busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.