Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Should FTC mandate including fees in ads?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:25 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

Not that long ago, an advertisement for a $359 roundtrip was just that. $359. Period. Then came the airport facility charges, which varied from one place to the next. On a roundtrip with 2 nonstop segments, that could add a few dollars to the fare, but nothing to scare anyone off.

Now, I found a fare for $330. But when I went to actually complete the booking, it's $375!!! $45 in assorted fees. And, this is a pair of nonstop legs on a roundtrip. No multple connections. Is it time to push for legislation that would require airlines to advertise the full one way fare with taxes and fees included? They could certainly add a stipulation that "fees may vary up to $5 for connections" or something similar. But, at least then the public will pay the price that attracted them to begin with...... Now, before anyone says that will hurt an already bleeding industry and lower bookings, consider which is worse - baiting travellers in with one price, only to jack it up 10% in assorted fees - or - levelling the playing field, requiring all airlines to put the fees in the published fare.

One could argue hotels and rental car companies should do that too, and maybe they should. The fees and taxes that pop up on those bills is nothing short of a well organized racket.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I don't think they should. By breaking it out, people get some idea what the airline is getting and what the government is getting. They took the break down of gas prices off the pumps and just put the final price up now at home because everybody was going nuts at the prices they had to pay in taxes.

We need to be aware we pay this and that and the rest or they just keep raising it over and over again. Nobody would even know we pay a security fee if it was all in one price.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Because if airlines had to post the fare including fees, it would be an impossible mess. The fees are based upon which airports you go through. The total fare for BOS-LAX would not be the same as BOS-IAD-LAX or BOS-ORD-LAX or BOS-ORD-DEN-LAX. How would the airlines advertise that? It would have to look like this!

FARE SALE!!!!!
Boston to Los Angeles nonstop: $350
Boston to Los Angeles (change planes in Washington): $375
Boston to Los Angeles (change planes in Chicago): $380
Boston to Los Angeles (change planes in Chicago and Denver): $395
Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:46 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
As this is not about "mile and points", I am moving the thread to TravelBuzz.

Craig6z
Moderator - MilesBuzz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.