Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Heading to NYC tomorrow.... weather says heavy rain and wind....should I be nervous?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heading to NYC tomorrow.... weather says heavy rain and wind....should I be nervous?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:06 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am not a good flier and usually take a xanax to combat turbulence fear... the weather in NYC tomorrow is suppose to be stormy with winds up to 35MPH...lots of rain and maybe a thunder or two.....does this sound like a bad flight into JFK from Seattle.....
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by david4455
I am not a good flier and usually take a xanax to combat turbulence fear... the weather in NYC tomorrow is suppose to be stormy with winds up to 35MPH...lots of rain and maybe a thunder or two.....does this sound like a bad flight into JFK from Seattle.....

No, not a bad flight at all.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Be nervous if you didn't bring a raincoat. The wind makes most umbrellas useless. Hmmm, since you're from Seattle, this should be nothing.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 4:45 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by Analise
Be nervous if you didn't bring a raincoat.
Or are wearing Red Sox gear.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 5:20 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Hope you made it okay--I know a lot of flights were canceled, and I spoke to a woman today who was on an Alitalia flight to JFK that got diverted to IAD yesterday!
Old Apr 3, 2005, 8:46 pm

new flying anxiety - why did it start?

Hi - I'm a fairly experienced traveler (probably 10 RTs a year and one year that I took about 40) - in recent months, I've noticed my first anxiety while flying, almost always during takeoff, and turbulence which passes after the turbulence does. I'm looking for opinions on why I might have suddenly developed this anxiety that didn't previously exist, and for any suggestions. I'm a new dad in the last year, and I think that might have something to do with it. I also worry that I read too much news about airlines' bankruptcy woes and I think I've convinced myself the pilots are stressed out and maintenance is being shortcutted. I realize that's far fetched but I wonder if it's also a factor in my anxiety. And weather, of course, which is what the OP was concerned about. Any similar feelings out there or suggestions? Thanks.

(Like everyone else, the disabled search function prevents me from looking around the forum for similar threads, even after a google/FT check).
Old Apr 4, 2005, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by auh2o
Or are wearing Red Sox gear.
Well according to Friday's NYT, the RS are really the third New York baseball team! I sent that wondrous article to my RS buddies up in Boston who got pretty ticked off at the arrogance of that newspaper to suggest such a thing.

It seems that since the RS won the WS last year, RS gear has popped up everywhere. Either there are fair weather fans or these folks were embarrassed to show pride in their team. The latter is a lot more embarrassing.

So wear your RS gear....it's ok. We crushed Boomer yesterday anyway.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by wingsfan
Hi - I'm a fairly experienced traveler (probably 10 RTs a year and one year that I took about 40) - in recent months, I've noticed my first anxiety while flying, almost always during takeoff, and turbulence which passes after the turbulence does. I'm looking for opinions on why I might have suddenly developed this anxiety that didn't previously exist, and for any suggestions. I'm a new dad in the last year, and I think that might have something to do with it. I also worry that I read too much news about airlines' bankruptcy woes and I think I've convinced myself the pilots are stressed out and maintenance is being shortcutted. I realize that's far fetched but I wonder if it's also a factor in my anxiety. And weather, of course, which is what the OP was concerned about. Any similar feelings out there or suggestions? Thanks.
Only you can figure out why you are feeling more anxious than usual. What you might want to do to ease your feelings is to bring your own music with you during the flight. This will help relax you during the flight and help prepare you for landing. Also, just close your eyes and relax during takeoff. Think of how fortunate you are that you are able to fly to your location instead of driving hours upon hours to get there.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

A lot of the flights from Europe were diverted.....my guess is that they did not have enough fuel to circle around like did for nearly 80 minutes!! luckily our flight path circling was not turbulant....but landing was a different story. I was pretty drugged up ( Xanax) so i was less anxious...but my partner who never is bothered by a little bit of bumpiness said it was one of the roughest landings he ever remembered....this was around 5:30 PM during the height of the storm,,,,,,
Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:20 pm

I landed at LaGuardia at 4PM or thereabouts on Saturday, on an ERJ. I've never been worried on any takeoff or landing (hundreds in the last year), but I was white-knuckled on that landing.

The most surreal part was looking out the window on approach; rather than seeing the ground slide beneath fore to aft, it was moving at a 45 degree angle.

That just ain't right.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:34 am

I flew into LGA at about 5:30 PM on Saturday 4/2...it was pretty rough, but with ch. 9 on UA, you knew exactly what was going on...which made it nicer for us control freaks (the Xanax helped, too . We had to do two go arounds before landing and I listened to a few flights on the ground cancel pushbacks due to wind shear, but we made it in OK. Kudos to the UA skipper, he did a great job of putting that 757 down in a 35 knot crosswind.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fredmartens
I flew into LGA at about 5:30 PM on Saturday 4/2...it was pretty rough, but with ch. 9 on UA, you knew exactly what was going on...which made it nicer for us control freaks (the Xanax helped, too . We had to do two go arounds before landing and I listened to a few flights on the ground cancel pushbacks due to wind shear, but we made it in OK. Kudos to the UA skipper, he did a great job of putting that 757 down in a 35 knot crosswind.
With stories like that I may never fly again.....I am so glad I had no idea what was going on....Thank you Xanax......
Old Apr 5, 2005, 5:58 pm

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
Originally Posted by wingsfan
I'm a fairly experienced traveler - in recent months, I've noticed my first anxiety while flying, almost always during takeoff, and turbulence which passes after the turbulence does. I'm looking for opinions on why I might have suddenly developed this anxiety that didn't previously exist, and for any suggestions.
I flew regularly for almost 10 years before developing a fear of flying. A flight attendant once told me that it often seems to first strike people in their late 20's which was certainly true in my case. The last 25 years, I've suffered on almost every flight. I take Xanax to try to ease the anxiety a bit, but there is no way I can ever be completely relaxed on a plane anymore, especially during turbulence (which seems to occur on EVERY flight I take now). I really long for the days when I considered flying a fun experience, but I doubt that I will ever be able to have that feeling again.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:01 pm

Thanks to those who have replied - I realize it's a pretty personal thing that might be hard to help someone with - though Xanax seems to be a popular choice. I might try some things like flying when I know I'll be tired, knocking out with a drink and the headphones. Good to hear from some other white knucklers. Can't decide if listening on channel 9 would help or hurt though but I'll try that too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.