Have you ever walked to the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever walked to the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:46 am

Programs: BA
It's fun walking from home. I am about 20 minutes walk from London City airport (across that dock you look across from the departure lounge) and if it's a nice day the walk is enjoyable. Most early mornings I go out running from the house and usually end up running along the north side of that dock to observe the aircraft. If you see from your plane on the ramp someone jogging along there with knobbly legs and out of breath, it's probably me.

I have also done a day business meeting in the Great Southern Hotel that's on the boundary at Dublin airport so I'm in the even more exclusive club of those who have walked at BOTH ends of a flight. And from LCY to Berlin Templehof (some years ago) was similar, at Berlin you just come out among apartments in a city street. But then I caught a passing bus.

A few weeks ago Mrs WHBM and I went to Edinburgh, first time out of LCY for her, and we walked it because, at least in part, she too has always been fascinated at the thought of walking to an airport, and once or twice previously has walked up there with me, had a coffee, said goodbye, and walked back home again, waving to me from the footpath as we lift off.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 18, 2005 at 3:08 am
Old Mar 18, 2005, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've walked from central PRG to Ruzyne on a very nice summer day. Well over 20 kilometres
Also I'm sure I've done a bit of walking from the old OA terminal at ATH (in a residential area), but can't remember exact details.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 4:21 am

Cph

Copenhagen Airport (CPH) is very easy to reach on foot or by bicycle as there are both sidewalks and pedestrian bridges linking the airport with the local residential neighborhood and the city. There is a footbridge at the end of Kastruplundgade directly to the airport and there are sidewalks all the way!
Old Mar 18, 2005, 4:39 am

Programs: BA
Just to add that when the tunnel through to London Heathrow airport central area was built, alongside it were built a pedestrian tunnel and a bicycles tunnel. It was quite common then for airport workers, if not passengers, to walk or cycle to work.

In recent years these tunnels were adapted for cars, to relieve pressure on the main road tunnels (which are directly alongside them), as they had become little used. They are extremely small and tight (you couldn't get a 4x4 through them even) but I always enjoy driving visitors through them The withdrawl of the pedestrian facility into the airport was what led to the regular London buses from the airport gates into the terminal area being made free, to allow pedestrians to still get into the airport. The free bus facility is paid for by an annual payment by Heathrow Airport to London Buses.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 4:56 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Nantucket Inn once- right across the airport parking lot. Easy walk, even with luggage.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:46 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Technically, yes.

At COS, the old airport terminal (which ceased commercial operations I think in 1994 and is now demolished) was a couple hundred yards distant from the Radisson Hotel, which used to be the only airport area hotel at COS. Although the hotel offered a shuttle to the terminal, on nice days and with plenty of time I used to walk between the terminal and my car (through airport parking).
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by apudme
San Diego is an easily walkable half hour journey from the center of the Gaslamp area - lots of sidewalks and plenty of marines and marinesses out jogging to keep one entertained!
I have sometimes parked at the Marine base next to the SAN airport (MCRD) and walked, if work isn't reimbursing me. Free parking, and it's only about a 10 minute walk.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:56 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I used to be a regular sight on Southern Kyoto streets dashing towards Kyoto City Air Terminal on my black shiny bicycle machine. With the trusty old Samsonite carry-on backpack hung over my shoulders 'til a nearby Pachinko parking lot ( they never get moved away there, Yakuza influence?) and then checking for my JL flight before taking the Haruka to KIX.

Of course the ultimate achievement would be to have an intercontinental 14 hour trek followed by a five minute stroll home over the Airport parking lot.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:07 am

Yes. To/from the old airport in San Jose, Costa Rica. The airport was called La Sabana, and is now a park called by the same name. The old airport terminal looks like a Spanish mission and is now a museum, and the field now has trees planted all over it. My aunt's old home was on a street called Paseo Colon, and the old airport terminal is at the end of this street. This was the early 60's. The plane would land, and pull right up to the terminal. We would simply clear customs and immigration and walk down the street to my aunt's house, 10-15 mins. Plenty of porter types around that would carry the bags to the house later on. No plane noise either, these were mostly turboprops that would take off and land away from Paseo Colon. Most of the old homes are gone now, though a few have been marked has historical homes. Paseo Colon is no longer the dreamy tree-lined residential boulevard that it was. We even used to see donkey carts on the streets back then. All gone now.

M8

Last edited by Martinis at 8; Mar 18, 2005 at 6:12 am
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Walk To The Beach

While just about everywhere is walkable on the island, it's especially easy to walk from Key West International (EYW) to the eastern end of Smathers Beach, which is just across Roosevelt Blvd. from the airport entrance.

Most beaches in the Keys don't have much in the way of sand. Smathers is an exception, because the sand here was imported from the Bahamas.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Back when I was in Belize, I walked from my home to the municipal airport to catch a flight (Cessna 20X) to San Pedro Caye. I had no reservation so I literally paid a "walk-up" fare. It was about a block away from home by the seashore, in fact, I jogged there quite a lot.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:09 am

Programs: CO OnePass Gold
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Yes. To/from the old airport in San Jose, Costa Rica. The airport was called La Sabana, and is now a park called by the same name. The old airport terminal looks like a Spanish mission
I've walked in La Sabana Park a few times, and I would have never guessed that it used to be an airport. OTOH, if you stay at one of the hotels on the carretera in front of SJO, that would be walkable.

I've walked from downtown San Diego .... wait, that's where the last part of my walk started. Actually got off the Trolley at the City College, walked up the hill to Balboa Park, took some pictures and went to the photography museum. Then walked downtown, stopped for lunch, and then walked to the waterfront and eventually to the airport. This with my long weekend carryon, which get a little lighter with every trip.

Then got the UG and flew home.

Oh, did walk halfway to MEX from the Zocalo, but ran out of time and took a taxi the rest of the way.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To LGA once. They wouldn't let the city buses into the airport for "security reasons" so we had to walk the last 0.5-1 mile.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Seattle would be one of the easier airports to walk to!

Houston Hobby (HOU) would not be tough, but you would have to be suicidal to try to walk to Houston IAH!
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've run from DCA to my corporate apartment in Arlington (near the Courthouse) many times. Easy four-miler along the river if I wanted the most direct route. Or I could cross into DC if I wanted to get an 8 or 10 miler. Plenty of trails to support it...

Ahhh...those days of flying DCA-MCI-DCA every weekend with no luggage.

I've never walked or run to my flight simply because there'd then be a shower/change of clothes issue. I just made sure to change into running shoes before hopping in the cab to DCA on Friday. That way I'd have them on Sunday evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.