Search

Flight Anxiety medicine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: marriott rewards
Flight Anxiety medicine

Hi Folks,
Not sure this is the right forum for this?
The wife and I are leaving for Hawaii in a month and she just went to her Dr for some medicine for her flight anxiety. The Dr gave her 0.5 mg tablets of Ativan ( Lorazepam )
Has anyone taken this kind of medicine before?
She really does not enjoy flying and on our last trip to Washington DC she got so worked up she was just miserable. We don't drink so using alchol to relax is out of the question. Just want to know if this medicine is working for others who may have a fear of flying. If so, how much do you take and how long before the flight leaves do you take it?
Thanks for any advice you can give
Dave
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA,DL,UA,US
Originally Posted by DLBurns
Hi Folks,
The wife and I are leaving for Hawaii in a month and she just went to her Dr for some medicine for her flight anxiety. The Dr gave her 0.5 mg tablets of Ativan ( Lorazepam )
She really does not enjoy flying and on our last trip to Washington DC she got so worked up she was just miserable. We don't drink so using alchol to relax is out of the question. Just want to know if this medicine is working for others who may have a fear of flying. If so, how much do you take and how long before the flight leaves do you take it?
Dave
I have never taken it, but have had some sucess with Ambien. It's a very good sleep aid that has no "hangover" effect.

A friend of mine swears by a couple of Vicodin and Scotches and he is off to the races
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:23 pm

Ativan is a member of the benzodiazepine family, similar in compound somewhat to Xanax (alprazolam) and Valium (diazepam) and will have mild sedative effects in that dosage for approx. 6-8 hours. I find this family of prescription medicines a terrific aid in reducing stress and also as a sleep inducing agent on long flights without the grogginess that can result from getting <6 hours sleep on 5 mg. of Ambien or 8 hours on 10mg. I generally take my dosage just before boarding and find that it takes effect in about 30 minutes. If you're intereted in more of the effects from this family of drugs, do a google search and you'll find plenty of additional information (after wading through the links to offshore drug suppliers!) Hope that helps, happy flying!
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:27 pm

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fredmartens
Ativan is a member of the benzodiazepine family, similar in compound somewhat to Xanax (alprazolam) and Valium (diazepam) and will have mild sedative effects in that dosage for approx. 6-8 hours. I find this family of prescription medicines a terrific aid in reducing stress and also as a sleep inducing agent on long flights without the grogginess that can result from getting <6 hours sleep on 5 mg. of Ambien or 8 hours on 10mg. I generally take my dosage just before boarding and find that it takes effect in about 30 minutes. If you're intereted in more of the effects from this family of drugs, do a google search and you'll find plenty of additional information (after wading through the links to offshore drug suppliers!) Hope that helps, happy flying!

Fred, I thought you just used Crown Royal minis
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Ativan is generic Valium, and quite effective. Much better choice than sleeping meds.

I used to be frightened of flying, and it's the night before that's a problem, as well as the pre-flight waiting.

So I recommend she take 1/2 a tablet at bedtime. She will sleep well without worry or hangover. Then the other half in the morning. And if she's really panicky, a whole pill when you get to the airport. They take about 20 minutes to kick in.

You can take one every four hours, or 1/2 a pill every two/four hours. Well, you can take a lot more, but not for the novice

If there's time, it never hurts to try it out at home first.

I've taken ativan for minor procedures when my anxiety and BP was so high they wouldn't perform the procedure. It works within 20 minutes and all goes well.

Enjoy the trip.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by DLBurns
Hi Folks,
Dave
I am probably an old curmuodgeon; but I urge folks to not look for medical advice here. Please , talk to your doctor.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:22 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Thread moved to TravelBuzz. I hope it will be found easier there by other interested flyertalkers. Thanks for posting!

ralfkrippner, community co-mod
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:31 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
In extreme circumstances (such as finding myself abroad and having multiple panic attacks), I've used benzodiazepines (specifically bromazepam) to get myself back home.

They're not drugs I like using regularly, though, they're very habit forming.

I'm currently using a daily dose of propranolol for panic attacks, which has been very effective, and which I should be off soon.

But yes, see your doctor. There any many such medicines out there, and you really go need to find the one that's right for you.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:42 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I am probably an old curmuodgeon; but I urge folks to not look for medical advice here. Please , talk to your doctor.
Very good advice. I personally had a very, very bad experience with Ativan a few years back and would strongly reccommend against it. Best to talk to your doctor.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:44 am

I usually take two over-the-counter Benadryl. It seems to knock me out without a super "drugged" feeling. I also feel more comfortable taking that than I would prescription-strength medication.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:13 am

Seen it work

My significant other is very afraid of flying and has used Ativan just for this. She takes it just before boarding and has a much better experience. I don't think it is anything to worry about as long as its upon the Doctor's advice, and I would recommend she try it at home first.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by Niteshade
My significant other is very afraid of flying and has used Ativan just for this. She takes it just before boarding and has a much better experience. I don't think it is anything to worry about as long as its upon the Doctor's advice, and I would recommend she try it at home first.
I took it at home as prescribed by a doctor and ended up with periods of amnesia. If not taken in proper doses, which should be determined by a doctor, temporary amnesia is a side affect. As it turned out, I was over-prescribed. I was not taking a huge dose either.

I would recommend, again, to consult with a doctor.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 3:32 pm

Referring to the OP's post, their doctor prescribed this medication. What was asked for was experiences from FT members who may have anxiety maladies while travelling.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 5:23 pm

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
Originally Posted by obscure2k
...I urge folks....Please , talk to your doctor.
Don't worry. Benzodiazepines are only available with a prescription from a physician. Once he/she ascertains that a patient has the wherewithal to pay for a $150 office visit, he/she will most likely agree that a prescription would be just fine!
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:29 pm

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
What is her age, weight and other meds she is on?
Go ahead and private email me.
rm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.