Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

JFK <-> SYD Non-Stop - now that's a flight I need an upgrade on!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK <-> SYD Non-Stop - now that's a flight I need an upgrade on!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Analise
A nonstop from NYC? Somehow I think that would be greatly successful. Anyone know how successful the 18 hour nonstop EWR-SIN is doing?
Isn't NYC-SIN a much thicker route than NYC-SYD?
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:16 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
I really dont care about SYD much as I do about AKL, and if there is one way to get there without connecting at LAX Ill be more than Happy

Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
New York - Auckland? Thats even less likely than NY-SYD.
Old May 19, 2005, 12:27 pm

Programs: American, Continental, United
First of all, 20 hours on a plane is, obviously, an awfully long time. There would need to be ways to amuse and entertain oneself. Does Quantas have AVOD? That would be a big help, especially for people with kids (I shudder at the thought of young screaming kids running rampant on a 20-hour flight. )

According to Great Circle Mapper, JFK-SYD is 8648 nautical miles. SYD-LHR, for comparison, is roughly 9180 nm. Everything I've read on the 772LR says that it could do LHR-SYD nonstop, but not SYD-LHR (at least not with a economically viable payload). While JFK is 500 nm miles closer to SYD, I would have to believe that there would still be payload issues on the westbound leg. Would adopting a cabin layout similar to the one used by SQ on its EWR/LAX-SIN routes be sufficient to overcome this problem? If so, this would likely require a higher fare for this route compared to the one-stop service; would enough people be willing to pay such a higher fare?

Great Circle also says ETOPS-207 would be needed. Would the 772LR be approved for this rating?

It would be cool to see this route come to be. Whether or not it is economically or technically viable is another matter.
Old May 19, 2005, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
what about crew for an 20hour flight? would they need a 2nd crew on board?
Old May 19, 2005, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chrissxb
what about crew for an 20hour flight? would they need a 2nd crew on board?
They would obviously need multiple crews.
Old May 19, 2005, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
These super-longhauls are becoming increasingly common and selling well with at least some business travellers that I know.

Thai has one of these type flights also with Bangkok-NYC for $1500 one-way in business or BKK-NYC-BKK for $2500 in business. It won't stay that cheap for long.
Old May 19, 2005, 1:45 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
CO does pretty well using their 777s non-stop to HKG from EWR (8069 miles). Its up to 16 hours, so another 4 or so at that point is immaterial.
I fully expect CO to begin this route when they acquire the aircraft capable.
Old May 19, 2005, 2:25 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan
CO does pretty well using their 777s non-stop to HKG from EWR (8069 miles). Its up to 16 hours, so another 4 or so at that point is immaterial.
Not necessarily. I don't know about other people, but for me, the rate at which time seems to be moving slows down as the flight time increases. If I change planes, this "clock" of sorts re-sets quickly. That is, for me, the first hour is a snap, the second hour is easy, third is OK, ..., the sixth hour is annoying, the seventh hour I am starting to go crazy, and by the ninth hour I am convinced that I must have been comatose for a week and am stuck in a nightmare of a plane that will not ever land.
Old May 19, 2005, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JS
Not necessarily. I don't know about other people, but for me, the rate at which time seems to be moving slows down as the flight time increases. If I change planes, this "clock" of sorts re-sets quickly. That is, for me, the first hour is a snap, the second hour is easy, third is OK, ..., the sixth hour is annoying, the seventh hour I am starting to go crazy, and by the ninth hour I am convinced that I must have been comatose for a week and am stuck in a nightmare of a plane that will not ever land.
That describes a lot of people; the exception for some may be when the flight is basically a red eye with dinner and good (long) sleep that arrives at the destination with a morning local time.
Old May 19, 2005, 3:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by JS
Glad this doesnt happen to me, considering how many flights are way over 9 hours.
Old May 19, 2005, 4:44 pm

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Glad this doesnt happen to me, considering how many flights are way over 9 hours.
Try Y if you want to share this...
Old May 19, 2005, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by McKaye
Try Y if you want to share this...
I'm know I'm lucky to be able to do this, but even in Y I often get comments from the cabin crew on arrival about how glad they are that I'm not actually dead, and that they hope that I won't yet die of starvation before I can find some food after disembarking ...
Old May 19, 2005, 4:52 pm

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
lets make a deal

if its a decent price, id take it. always dreamed of going to syd. cant seem to get a flight grb/ord-syd for anything under 1100.00 and not much less from nyc. if they had a decent deal 500-700. i could use miles to get to nyc from here. youd have to have a mantra though. happy thoughts!

mitch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.