Best Travel Tips for 2004 (win $500)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Travel Tips for 2004 (win $500)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:06 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Always email important documents (pasport,CC, med insurance) info to yourself...

...thus if wallet or passport is lost you simply need to get on Yahoo or whatever service provider in order to retreive this information. There is no security issues like you would have if you had a hard copy, that you carry with you. One check of your yahoo or hotmail account from the hotel will have you on your way to cancelling and recovering what you lost.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:04 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by HomerJ
...thus if wallet or passport is lost you simply need to get on Yahoo or whatever service provider in order to retreive this information.
For those who are antsy about putting this info on the web, you can always carry them on a CD or flash memory stick.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 4:28 pm

Take a stack of $1 and $5 bills for tips and short cab fares. Doesn't have to total a lot, maybe $100 or so, just convenience cash. Keep this stack separate from your main funds. It should be in an outer pocket, where you have memorized the location. Any time you have to produce a tip in a hurry or pay a cab quickly, can do so in a flash and don't have to dig down into your belongings for a $20 and ask for change. Often speed is important, and this gets you through quickly and out of everybody's way and the next person can be taken care of next. (If using other currency, obtain small currencies as fast as possible. Cab drivers can claim they don't have change for large bills. )
Besides speed and convenience of access, the above, using a second location for small bills, also keeps any potential pickpockets from observing where you keep the rest of your funds. @:-)

2. When you print maps from Internet of city or portion of city, print two copies. In case someone comes up to you and asks directions from the map you are studying, you can whip out a second copy and give to them. It's surprising how many people forget to take maps, and this can be helpful.

3. Take along a packable, crushable extra pair of extra-comfortable sandals in case regular shoes pinch. (Well-wrapped in several layers, of course). Can save a lot of misery.

4. Bottle of water always. A snack always. A throwaway vinyl raincoat that takes no space. A tiny notebook with phone numbers and every reminder you can think of, along with a ballpoint.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie
Take a stack of $1 and $5 bills for tips and short cab fares. Doesn't have to total a lot, maybe $100 or so, just convenience cash.
That's easier said than done for us international travelers. That said I carry petty cash in a dozen or so currencies at all times. When I'm leaving the country, rather than change the money back into dollars, I just stick it in an envelope in my bag for the next time I visit. With the way the US dollar has sunk, this has proven to be a great investment technique.

For instance I have about 50K Yen in my bag. With the big jump in the value of the Yen yesterday I can afford to buy a beer with the difference (should I convert them back to dollars.)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Just spent parts of 5 days reading this thread. Great stuff but AMAZING how dated some of it is. Just the advent of the iPhone makes a lot of it irrelevant. Technology truly changes our lives at a fascinating pace.

Not sure if there is an updated version of this for 2005, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 but a yearly sticky of that year's top suggestions would be great.

Thanks to all who contributed. I've got notes to review and best practices to implement (and some atrocious ideas to discard).
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Absolutely correct that this thread is hopelessly outdated. Therefore, it is now closed.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.