Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP! Quickie Travel Insurance for Japanese National, suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation HELP! Quickie Travel Insurance for Japanese National, suggestions needed

My (Japanese) partner is just about to got to the US and onward to Europe (trip duration 25 days) but I've just found out he hasn't purchased insurance nor is he likely to. I don't approve of this so I'm determined to arrange it for him.
He lives in Tokyo, I live in London, can anyone suggest a (preferably online) company where I could purchase travel insurance for him. It's mostly medical cover I'm concerned about, I don't want him to be paying off doctors for the rest of his life should something awful happen.

This is quite urgent now as he is due to arrive in the States tomorrow evening (Nov 5).
Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
He can buy medical insurance at NRT at kiosks all over the airport from various companies. Shouldn't take longer than 10-15 minutes. Oh wait, I re-read you post - he wasn't going to buy any himself.

Well then, you could try:
http://www.globalunderwriters.com
Their Diplomat America package is for visitors coming to US and goes for $87/month or so for $250k coverage with the highest deductible

or a broker site like:
http://www.travelersmed.com

I think I've purchased from them both in the past. Never had to use the policy so cannot comment on service.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:16 pm

Do you read Japanese yourself? If so, I'd recommend Sompo Japan Off! which is the best value in Japan. I've taken it a few times, although haven't used it. And you can choose the value of every item (death cover, illness cover, injury cover, etc.) independently or you can choose a package.

Of course, I am not affliliated in any way with this company, etc. etc.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:39 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
I used to always buy insurance at one of those travel kiosks in NRT at about 5000 Yen a pop until I discovered that several of my credit cards gave me this coverage automatically. It's fairly common now for Japanese credit cards to automatically (no extra fees or need to sign up or purchase necessary) include life and medical/health to the cardholder when traveling overseas. The average coverage each of three of my cards (all plain vanilla) give me is about $200,000 life and $20,000 medical. Elite card holders get even more coverage. Maybe this is why your Japanese partner hasn't purchased insurance coverage?
Old Nov 6, 2004, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. I ended up talking to my partner's father and he was also deeply disturbed about him not purchasing cover (he doesn't have a credit card, so he doesn't even get that minimal cover). Thanks to Aleph08 I was able to suggest Sompo Japan Off, and I've been assured that he is nicely covered now.

Thanks for all your help!! You may have helped save us from years of crippling debt!!!
Old Nov 6, 2004, 6:31 am

Oh, great. Glad the info was worthwhile. I do not always take the insurance (as Double J suggested, I have my credit cards) but when I want some extra, like going to India or Mexico for instance, I always add some more illness coverage just in case. With Sompo Japan, you can choose what you want to emphasize in the coverage so I've found it quite useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.