Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Separate Checking Account for Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA E+, HH Platinum, Marriott Rewards, Budget Fastbreak
Arrow Separate Checking Account for Travel?

I was toying with the idea of opening a separate checking account with the idea being that there are some banks where I live and where I travel , (mainly the U.S. only). My current bank, Bank One, does not have branches or ATM's anywhere I travel to currrently. They are merging with Chase so that may help but we will see.

Does anyone else have a separate account/debit card that they use purely for travel purchases/travel cash advances?

Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by UAORDFLYER
Does anyone else have a separate account/debit card that they use purely for travel purchases/travel cash advances?

Thanks
I have a separate credit card for travel. Not for the reasons mentioned above though. I've had problems in the past using my credit card in various cities (Istanbul and London were two) - where a few months later, my credit card started incurring charges from each of those cities when I was not there.

Since then, I've started to use a credit card for traveling and a separate card for home. I request a new travel credit card every 3 months or so, to ensure that my number changes frequently. Although, for my travel credit card, I use it enough that the signature panel wears out in less than 3 months, so I basically need to request a new one that often anyway.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a checking account with Bank One. Of course, the nearest branch is in Arizona. But since Bank One is the official bank of DisneyLand, there are 3 Bank One ATMs at the Happiest Place on Earth, which I think are the only Bank One ATMs in southern California.

I have a couple other checking accounts (one with Citi) that make finding a no-fee ATM much easier when traveling than if I only had one checking account.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by UAORDFLYER

Thanks
Being UK based, slightly different rationale - I have a second bank account which I use purely for business expenses. Our company policy is that corporate charge card (Diners) is on personal liability, so everything is charged to Diners, and expenses claims are paid by bank transfer to a nominated bank account. It's then up to us to settle the Diners Club bill.

Having a separate account means that my business expenses don't get mixed up with my personal finances. Plus the fact that I got a bonus 12,000 BA Miles (plus an ongoing 100-200 BA Miles per month) for opening the account, helped sway my decision! b
Old Oct 22, 2004, 6:32 pm

I've opened an account with Bank of America. They are in many states I travel to and allow for free online bill pay.

The closest branch to my home is about an hour away so I generally mail my deposits and then bank online. It is nice to have and works out well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.