Wiki Posts
Search

"I'm going to feel your breasts now"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
Unhappy "I'm going to feel your breasts now"

Ok, I'm no prude, and I fully understand where the TSA is coming from, but still... this really gives me the "oogies".

Woman drives home rather than submit to airport search

Sunday, October 10, 2004

A woman said she drove home from Denver rather than submit to what she viewed as an intrusive search by airport security screeners.

Ava Kingsford, 36, of San Diego said she was flagged down for a pat-down search at Denver International Airport last month as she prepared to board a flight home with her 3-month-old son.

Kingsford objected when a female screener with the Transportation Security Administration told her, "I'm going to feel your breasts now."

More security agents arrived and warned her that she couldn't board her flight without submitting to the final step of the search....

Bob Kapp, customer service manager for the TSA in Denver, said that to conduct a thorough pat-down search of women, "it does require going beneath, between and above the breasts."
Full article at http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...652EDT0040.DTL
Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

There is something which does not ring true with this story. I have been "patted down" on about 6 continents and no-one has ever described the pat-down in such graphic terms. I am a bit skeptical about this incident.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I believe it, I recently saw/hears a pat down that I felt I should have been stuffing quarters in a slot to watch. If it wasn't at an airport, the words could have been on late night cable (and I also don't believe those should be done in front of everybody either).

You knew it was going to come to this when back in September they made a point of announcing that searches would now be done with the palm of the hands, and not just the back of the hands anymore.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
This is not the first time I have heard of / seen this type of procedure - and frankly I find it extremely alarming. If I were a woman, I probably would refuse to submit to it, too. And I really don't feel any better because I'm male - this could just be a stepping stone. Next you'll be hearing from the TSA, "To conduct a thorough pat-down search of men, "it does require going beneath, between and above the genitals."
Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:05 pm

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
Wow! Pretty intrusive. The "torso packs" to me would be in the abdomen area, not in the breasts area.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:30 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
I can assure you that the TSA does feel womens breasts. As a mid 40 year old woman, my breasts are no longer "perky" and more often than not, my nipples are fondled when they feel my breasts. I think I am going to start groaning and doing a "When Harry met Sally" imitation when they decide to feel my nipples.

It is really sickening that in order to fly to my job, I have to subject myself to fondling. I used to think that GradGirl was overreacting, but no longer feel that way. Couldn't male terrorists hide explosives in their underwear? Why is it just the women that are groped in the areas we consider private? Why are the men not groped?

At SFO a week ago, I was selected for secondary when I refused to remove my shoes. The floor, as usual, was filthy. I have already contacted athletes foot once and I believe it was from walking shoeless on the filthy airport floors. My doctor said it was very likely from there, so I will not remove my shoes. Prior to a few weeks ago the only time I had been fondled was if I was wearing a bra that set off the wand. This time, I was braless because I did not want to be fondled. However, the woman who wanded me still felt it necessary to play with my nipples. The wand did not beep. I was wearing a tshirt and shorts, not bulky clothing that could hide too much. Of course, I sent my meaningless complaint.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:26 am

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
Originally Posted by debua1k
I can assure you that the TSA does feel womens breasts. ... and more often than not, my nipples are fondled when they feel my breasts. ....

It is really sickening that in order to fly to my job, I have to subject myself to fondling. ...
At SFO a week ago, I was selected for secondary when I refused to remove my shoes. The floor, as usual, was filthy. .... Prior to a few weeks ago the only time I had been fondled was if I was wearing a bra that set off the wand. This time, I was braless because I did not want to be fondled. However, the woman who wanded me still felt it necessary to play with my nipples. The wand did not beep. I was wearing a tshirt and shorts, not bulky clothing that could hide too much. Of course, I sent my meaningless complaint.
This is so repulsive! I would rather go into a dressing room type of set up and lift my shirt & expose myself rather than let someone touch me! Can we request that?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:13 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I've been groped, too- it was at EWR on a flight to CDG and I wore a bra with underwires, so it set off the alarm. (Why they put underwires in a 34-B cup I don't know.)

I like the idea of just going somewhere private and taking it all off. Darn, if they want to get kinky let it be on my terms and with their hands off.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by obscure2k
There is something which does not ring true with this story. I have been "patted down" on about 6 continents and no-one has ever described the pat-down in such graphic terms. I am a bit skeptical about this incident.
As am I. I've had TSA agents say similar things to me a few times (not often though). I tell them "no" and ask for them to use the wand instead. I've never had a problem.

"I was crying; I was shaking," she told The San Diego Union-Tribune for a story Sunday.
Crying? Like a baby?? It's one thing to be angry and that I can understand and even respect. But to cry....give me a break. What is she.... a helpless 7 year old little girl?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:05 am

Programs: US Silver
I'm not sure why anyone is sceptical about this story - it would appear that the TSA don't deny that it happened, but that it was in any way unique.

Bob Kapp, customer service manager for the TSA in Denver, said that to conduct a thorough pat-down search of women, "it does require going beneath, between and above the breasts."

I suppose one might take issue with the term "feel"; perhaps "touch" might have been a better way of putting it.

As for the crying - well each person responds to stress in a different way. Some people get angry and some get tearful. It's just a physiological response to adrenaline. Speaking as a 48 year old who has struggled with this irritating response her whole life, I have come to terms with the fact that it is similar to the way my knee gives out ocassionally: not entirely under my control.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
Crying? Like a baby?? It's one thing to be angry and that I can understand and even respect. But to cry....give me a break. What is she.... a helpless 7 year old little girl?
That's a little harsh, isn't it? Personally I'm not too bothered by it. But you'd be amazed by how many horrible old men used to just grab one of my breasts in passing as I walked along the streets in South East Spain when I was younger, the first couple of times it REALLY shook me up, so I do kind of understand.

But everyone reacts differently when their privacy is violated. We all have different reactions and feelings to the same stimulus. The thing is, for all we know the woman was abused by an aunt or a school mistress when she was younger, and there are plenty of women who are carrying around a trauma like that with them, and it's there, just simmering under their conciousness ready to be set off by an over eager security guard. Obviously there are a few drama queens around (remember Ms Ross, anyone?) but we should be giving our sisters the benefit of the doubt.

It just annoys me because (as I kind of worked through in another thread) I do believe this is all just a semi-useless cosmetic procedure we endure so that governments can convince people that they are doing something. The fact that a relative minority of women are being forced to go through traumatic experiences (or relive them) is one of the prices. Have any lady senators being subjected to this yet?

BTW - I'm off to the States in a couple of weeks for the first time in many years. I'll be sure to make sure I have a large newspaper or magazine with me to step onto should they want me to remove my shoes. Thanks for the tip! I hate verrucas!
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LapLap
That's a little harsh, isn't it? Personally I'm not too bothered by it. But you'd be amazed by how many horrible old men used to just grab one of my breasts in passing as I walked along the streets in South East Spain when I was younger, the first couple of times it REALLY shook me up, so I do kind of understand.

But everyone reacts differently when their privacy is violated. We all have different reactions and feelings to the same stimulus. The thing is, for all we know the woman was abused by an aunt or a school mistress when she was younger, and there are plenty of women who are carrying around a trauma like that with them, and it's there, just simmering under their conciousness ready to be set off by an over eager security guard. Obviously there are a few drama queens around (remember Ms Ross, anyone?) but we should be giving our sisters the benefit of the doubt.

It just annoys me because (as I kind of worked through in another thread) I do believe this is all just a semi-useless cosmetic procedure we endure so that governments can convince people that they are doing something. The fact that a relative minority of women are being forced to go through traumatic experiences (or relive them) is one of the prices. Have any lady senators being subjected to this yet?

BTW - I'm off to the States in a couple of weeks for the first time in many years. I'll be sure to make sure I have a large newspaper or magazine with me to step onto should they want me to remove my shoes. Thanks for the tip! I hate verrucas!
Just wear socks when they make you take off your shoes. Even if you have to keep them in your pocket just for security as I like to travel in sandals.

It never occured to me that I sound harsh. This crying woman perpetuates the stereotype of the helpless woman. If you really feel you are being violated, say so. Be forceful about it. Heck, get angry. But to cry like a simpering wimp...sorry I have no patience for that. Is she looking for Underdog to rescue her? (Does this date me or what?)

Unfortunately, female terrorists are now carrying bags under their clothing holding explosives as was stated in the article. There was no report of that when I last travelled. So if I had been this woman, I would have asked for privacy with several TSA female employees if an under-the-blouse search needed to be done. I'm not that dainty that I feel violated when female security officers are doing their jobs.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Some years ago when I went through Frankfurt, they had compartments that were like mini-dressing rooms, with curtains surrounding them completely. Every person, man and woman, was completed body searched and patted down, including partial disrobing, in these compartments. This was well before 9/11 and it was a little scary.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
This is the new process, does not matter if you beep or not, you get patted down. They feel your chest and around your breasts. I got secondary twice recently because I refused to remove my shoes (the TSA guy was an a**hole) at IAD and then was SSS'd when I changed a reservation at the last minute from LGA.

In both cases, IAD and LGA, they did a full pat down after the wanding showed nothing. The previous approach, I hated but could deal with, this one gets intrusive. If I was visiting a prison, if they were supposed to find anyone smuggling something? That I might be able to understand the need, but to get on a plane? Please.

The LGA guys were all peeved at me anyway because I wouldn't let them open my suitcase until the wanding was finished. And after their ridiculous search, the woman was just stuffing the things she had pulled out on top of the stuff in the suitcase and expected it to close, there was no way. She then got offended when I said I'd take care of it.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:38 am

Programs: US Silver
Originally Posted by Analise
This crying woman perpetuates the stereotype of the helpless woman. If you really feel you are being violated, say so. Be forceful about it. Heck, get angry. But to cry like a simpering wimp...sorry I have no patience for that. .
Which just goes to show how careful one needs to be about stereotypes: no one who knows me would describe me as helpless I have to say, though, I do not think I would admit to this reaction in the press!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.