Wiki Posts
Search

Headache during flight?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2004, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Headache during flight?

I am having a problem with constant headaches while on airplanes and was hoping for some guidance from seasoned travelers.

I fly fairly regularly (PLT on AA for 5 straight, about to make EXP for the first time) and have had this problem since I started flying. As soon as we take off I start getting a headache that feels like someone is jamming sticks into my temples. It only centers around my temples.

I do not have sinus problems and do not suffer from migraines.

I have tried every medication possible; Advil, Tylenol, Tylenol with codeine, BC Powder, various alergy medications, Aleive, etc. and cannot get the headaches to go away.

I drink LOADS of water to stay hydrated and try to cut back on the caffiene.

Does anyone else suffer from this, and if so have you found a cause?
Old Sep 23, 2004, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by brj8826
I drink LOADS of water to stay hydrated and try to cut back on the caffiene.

Does anyone else suffer from this, and if so have you found a cause?
Oddly, when I get headaches like this--fairly often, but not necessarily on planes--caffeine is the solution. Try drinking a cup of strong coffee and see if it helps. (Given the nasty pale brown substance served on planes, you might want to buy something better in the airport beforehand!)
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I'm no Dr., but does the pain seem to coincide to when the plane pressurizes? That might suggest an inner ear or eustacian tube (however it's spelled) problem. You said you've tried allergy medicine; does that include a stand-alone decongestant like Sudafed (without all of the other drugs) or a nasel spray like Afrin? (I'm certainly not recommending that you try these or any other drug remedy without speaking to a Dr. or pharmacist, but you might ask them about it)

Also, migraines can be caused by food, so you might consider whether there may be some food, drink, preservative, etc. that you only and typically consume at airports prior to your flights.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:57 pm

Programs: QF, IB
Me too...

I also suffer from headaches on planes and had come to the conclusion it was either the pressurising of the cabins or the uncomfortable neck position from the seats. My guess is the pressurising as my headaches mysteriously disappear shortly after landing.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
My headaches seem to be related to the noise and vibration from the jet engines. I've found that the further forward of the wings I sit, and with earplugs, and hopefully being able to sleep on long flights, I seem to have less of a problem.

John
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:53 pm
Suspended

I usually get headaches before and after my air travel when I see the INS and TSA goons
Old Sep 24, 2004, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
...caffeine is the solution.
Yup...it's a vasoconstrictor, and that can sometimes alleviate headaches - one reason it's in Excedrin (which, of course, is the perfect drug for those who have quit caffeine cold turkey!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.