Wiki Posts
Search

Confessions from a travel agent

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2004, 11:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by davem4
THere is no bridge between new zealand and australia.
Good
Old Sep 20, 2004, 1:45 am

Programs: AAPLT, SK/G, A3/G
Originally Posted by davem4
I'm in Australia.

Just to let you know,
Kangaroos arnt everywhere.

They are only in plague populations in some towns and cities.

and we canucks don't all live in igloos and take the dogsled to work!

two other geography-related story:

friend in new mexico tried to buy tickets to the 96 olypmics. he call, ordered, when it comes to payment, he gave his address as new mexico.
telesale agent said "sorry sir we only ship tickets within the US. we can't ship to mexico". friend "new mexico is part of the us". the agent just kept repeating her line. he gave up after 15 minutes, called back, got another rep, and order his tix

back when i was in high school in canada a friend's mom in seattle had to deal with the phone company for some reason. i forgot the detail but she said she needs to call british columbia and the CSR insisted that she can't call england. with her plan. she also tried to explain british columbia is part of canada but the agent wouldn't have it
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by magic111
Where I live putting the pedal to the metal is considered a drive and what was really asked of by the poster that I referred to. @:-)
Well sure you don't actually have the engine on while on the train but you do drive your car onto it and back off 30 minutes later so I'd still say I was driving to Germany pretty much.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magic111
Where I live putting the pedal to the metal is considered a drive and what was really asked of by the poster that I referred to.
Originally Posted by Applespider
Well sure you don't actually have the engine on while on the train but you do drive your car onto it and back off 30 minutes later so I'd still say I was driving to Germany pretty much.
This did all get a little too pernickety and silly, didn't it?

If anybody had told me you could get on a train in London and arrive in Paris (or even Spain) a few hours later not so many years ago, I would have found this pretty amusing. It's a modern miracle any way you look at it.

And don't forget, while the tunnel was being constructed people actually were driving (unconventional vehicles admittedly) between England and France, and I'm sure a few people even WALKED it.

But you should have heard some of the stories my Spanish friends came up with after going to the USA for a year on Educational exchanges. They complained that their US peers thought that Spain was in South America (or a Caribbean Island), and they were 'taught' how to use light switches when they arrived at their host's home.
It wasn't actually funny, come to think of it. Ah well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.