Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will they let me take this into the plane as a carry-on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/...?productId=103

I know its big but we don't wanna deal with the whole check-in process so we rather take it with us. What do you all think?
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:21 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
That's double the max allowed size! It simply doesn't fit in the overhead bins of most planes, so even if they wanted to let you it wouldn't work. The normal max is 22x14x9 for most airlines and this is 31x15x12 (in fact it is only 4 inches under the checked baggage max size!).
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:22 pm

Size: [M] 31" x 14" x 12"
Most US airlines have 22" as the max length- less if you're on a RJ.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by number_6
That's double the max allowed size! It simply doesn't fit in the overhead bins of most planes, so even if they wanted to let you it wouldn't work. The normal max is 22x14x9 for most airlines and this is 31x15x12 (in fact it is only 4 inches under the checked baggage max size!).
Number_6 is nearly always right. I would heed his wise counsel and be grateful that he "weighed-in"
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Number_6 is nearly always right. I would heed his wise counsel and be grateful that he "weighed-in"
Well I know its longer than the limit but I have seen people bring much bigger bags than the allowed size limit so I ended up asking This is on an international flight by the way (if that makes any difference)?
Old Sep 13, 2004, 11:35 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
IME, it really depends on what class you're in. In C and F I've carried on many more bags than I was technically allowed and many items that would have never even began to fit in one of those sizers nor would they have fit in overheads (just carried on a rather large drum, for example). But alas, there are other storage areas on most aircraft - I utilize the closets in these cases. If you're in Y and don't have status (not in an early boarding group), it's less likely you'll get away with it, but knowing where the closets are and going straight to them can be very helpful, if you get that far.

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 13, 2004 at 11:49 pm
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by letiole
IME, it really depends on what class you're in. In C and F I've carried on many more bags than I was technically allowed and many items that would have never even began to fit in one of those sizers nor would they have fit in overheads (just carried on a rather large drum, for example). But alas, there are other storage areas on most aircraft - I utilize the closets in these cases. If you're in Y and don't have status (not in an early boarding group), it's less likely you'll get away with it, but knowing where the closets are and going straight to them can be very helpful, if you get that far.
Cool, thanks for the closet tip

I guess a follow up question is as follows: if I go onboard with it and the FA tells me I can't have it as a carry-on, what happens? Do they simply take it away from me and put it in the checked-in luggage area? Will they charge me anything for this? This is Delta Airlines Economy Class btw.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 3:01 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xiety
Cool, thanks for the closet tip

I guess a follow up question is as follows: if I go onboard with it and the FA tells me I can't have it as a carry-on, what happens? Do they simply take it away from me and put it in the checked-in luggage area? Will they charge me anything for this? This is Delta Airlines Economy Class btw.
Generally speaking, anything that they decide can't be stowed properly on the aircraft will be gate checked, meaning they'll take it from you at the gate, give you a claim check, and you'll get it with the rest of the checked luggage when you land. As long as you haven't exceeded your free checked-baggage allotment there won't be a charge. Unfortunately, flying econo there's a good chance they'll likely gate check it, or you could even get one of those rare check-in agents who looks over the counter and tells you it needs to be checked at that time. I've always been extremely fortunate in what I've been able to get on board (I don't like to check anything).

Edited to say I just saw your other thread about the trip you have planned - if a group of you are carrying these and trying to avoid checking them, my guess if you're gonna be out of luck. One over-sized bag might make it; four probably won't.

Off topic ... but while you're in Luxembourg be sure to go to Echternach if you're looking to do any hiking (but check the weather for November first). Pretty terrific spot and the little town is pretty lively too.

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 14, 2004 at 3:09 am
Old Sep 14, 2004, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Generally speaking, anything that they decide can't be stowed properly on the aircraft will be gate checked, meaning they'll take it from you at the gate, give you a claim check, and you'll get it with the rest of the checked luggage when you land. As long as you haven't exceeded your free checked-baggage allotment there won't be a charge. Unfortunately, flying econo there's a good chance they'll likely gate check it, or you could even get one of those rare check-in agents who looks over the counter and tells you it needs to be checked at that time. I've always been extremely fortunate in what I've been able to get on board (I don't like to check anything).

Edited to say I just saw your other thread about the trip you have planned - if a group of you are carrying these and trying to avoid checking them, my guess if you're gonna be out of luck. One over-sized bag might make it; four probably won't.

Off topic ... but while you're in Luxembourg be sure to go to Echternach if you're looking to do any hiking (but check the weather for November first). Pretty terrific spot and the little town is pretty lively too.
Thanks for the response. We actually decided to not go to Luxembourg or Amsterdam. We found out that they have a Cannabis Cup (weed festival) in Amsterdam during our planned dates. Figured out hotels will cost more and we don't want to hang around when everyone is high so we changed our plans to Frankfurt-Heidelberg-Milan-Vienna.

Well, I was hoping maybe the flights wont be crowded in late November so they may actually let us check them in but who knows. Thanks again though, I'm glad I asked beforehand
Old Sep 14, 2004, 3:40 am
Original Poster

By the way, I'd appreciate any recommendations for backpacks (brand/model/store/online store/etc.)
Old Sep 14, 2004, 6:47 am

Programs: /usr/bin
I backpacked around for 3 months with an Eagle Creek bag. You can't go wrong with any bags from them.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/
Old Sep 14, 2004, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1P
I used the REI Travel Pack when I did my trip to Europe and Australia last year. It works out pretty well as a backpack and given that I wasn't hiking with it, was more convienent. I've used it a lot since for travel as it makes navigating the T a lot easier when heading to the airport and I hate checking in bags if I can avoid it. With compressor bags, I can carry over 10 days worth of clothing and tolietries. In retrospect however, I might have gotten one with a zip off day pack. I just used what I had, but having one that zips off would have made carrying both a bit easier.
In general, the REI store has a wide selection (albeit a bit expensive). I found going to the store for advice and fitting was good and then finding the best price elsewhere.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 7:27 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
If you buy from ebags.com you can use AAdvantage eShopping and get miles for every dollar you spend. ^
Old Sep 14, 2004, 8:12 am

Programs: AA, UA
Generally speaking, anything that they decide can't be stowed properly on the aircraft will be gate checked, meaning they'll take it from you at the gate, give you a claim check, and you'll get it with the rest of the checked luggage when you land....
I think if you gate check anything, you pick up the gate checked items when you get off the plane and not at the baggage claim area.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 8:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by elisendave
I think if you gate check anything, you pick up the gate checked items when you get off the plane and not at the baggage claim area.
not true, unless it is an Regional Jet where you can "gate claim check" bags of the appropriate carry on size or it is a wheel chair or stroller. If an item is checked because the overheads are full then you pick it up at baggage claim

To the original poster: if you are connecting on I suggest you check your bag at ticketing so you get an appropriate bar coded bag tag. I personally wouldn't want to risk all my clothing being connected internationally with just a handwritten gate claim tag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.