Search

Frankfurt Duty Free Store

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL UA
Frankfurt Duty Free Store

Hello,
I am going from CLT - GOT via FRA. A friend is coming with me to hang out while I work. I warned him about the high cost of Swedish cocktails. He wants to get a bottle of liquor in Frankfurt during our 2 hour lay over. I don't remember seeing a duty free store on my way between gates last time. Is there one? Is it still duty free if we are going on to another European country? We might be better off getting it on the plane or in Charlotte.

thanks
Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:54 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
I can't recall exactly where they are in that airport, but I would suggest buying the bottle(s) at your origination point (don't know what CLT means).

Euro duty free shops have 2 prices doe each item, for travel within or outside of the EU. The prices for within EU are ridiculously expensive.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:54 pm

Yeah, no duty-free if travelling within the EU. So although you'll likely pass a duty-free shop, they'll want to see a non-EU-destination boarding pass...

I'd buy on board...
Old Sep 7, 2004, 5:28 pm

Programs: US 3
(don't know what CLT means).
rbrenton: I take it you're not a roach.

I have purchased at duty free before on my way from BOS-BUD via LHR, CDG, and FRA with no problem, but this was pre-Euro. You may be able to get away with the duty free price if you show your boarding pass showing a US origination. There are many duty free stores at FRA-go to the lower level.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by macska
You may be able to get away with the duty free price if you show your boarding pass showing a US origination. There are many duty free stores at FRA-go to the lower level.
Well, don't think so, since technically you need to export the merchandise to a non-EU destination, so only a departing boarding pass counts. But they will probably sell stuff to you if you pay the regular value-added tax. That said, buying alcohol in Germany duty-free or not will still be much much cheaper than buying it in Sweden.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 7:56 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by chtiet
Yeah, no duty-free if travelling within the EU. So although you'll likely pass a duty-free shop, they'll want to see a non-EU-destination boarding pass...
I'd buy on board...
That doesn't always work. This weekend on my return on LH PRG-FRA-EWR at the Duty Free in PRG, when I presented my boarding passes (both PRG-FRA and FRA-EWR) issued by LH, I was charged the higher prices. When I asked why (showing my connection bp), he said FRA was an EU destination and that is the only one that counted. Granted the difference was minimal on one bottle of liquor, but I was still surprised that I was charged the higher amount on a legal connection flight.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:50 am

No offence to the posters, but most of the above answers are mostly or partially incorrect. (I'm not saying that I am 100% correct, but I have transfered through FRA 13 times so far this year.)

I transit through FRA quite often, and the place is absolutely full of duty free shops. You will have no problem locating the shops. There is only one set of prices on the alcohol, not two as posted above. (Two sets of prices can be found in other airports within the EU, but not in FRA).

You can definetly purchase alcohol on your way to GOT, and do not need a boarding pass showing a destination outside of the EU. I always get a few bottles of scotch in FRA on my way home, and they are quite satisfied with my boarding pass with destination ARN.

So, my suggestion is to get what you need in FRA. One liter of vodka can often be found on sale for 9.90€, which is around a third of the price in Sweden.

Last edited by Deimos; Sep 8, 2004 at 9:56 am
Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:40 am

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Deimos is right. I was thinking of Amsterdam about the dual pricing. My routes through FRA alsways went onward to Singapore before going further, so I skipped shopping in FRA
Old Sep 8, 2004, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL UA
Thanks Guys

I will tell him to get a pint in Charlotte- to be on the safe side, and we will get the remainder in FRA.

thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.