Up North for Summer Solstice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver

I'm looking for a place to take my family next June to experience the "midnight sun." Does anyone have any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive location with activities to interest young teenagers?

We were considering Fairbanks or upper Norway. Historical, cultural, or outdoor/physical options are welcome.

Last edited by boltor; Sep 6, 2004 at 9:10 pm
Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Saint Petersburg, Russia or Bergen, Norway would be my two top choices. Both are North enough to enjoy the "White Nights" (great Dostoevsky story for the plane ride over!).
Old Sep 7, 2004, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You might look into Iceland, too. Reykjavik gets very little darkness at that time of the year. Akureyri in the north is virtually on the Arctic Circle so has almost true midnight sun. Downside: Iceland is pretty expensive.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 3:57 am

Fairbanks isn't a bad choice at all. It's not strictly north of the Arctic Circle, but it will stay light all night. (The sun goes below the horizon, but it stays light, just as it does 10-15 minutes before sunrise or after sunset in the non-polar regions of the world.)

Fairbanks is a fun little towm, even including a weird little theme park (Alaskaland). And, you're only a few hours drive from Denali National Park, which offers an enormous amount for anyone.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 8:19 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I'm no huge fan of Fairbanks, but it can be fun at the solstice. Take the family to the midnight sun baseball game (look here) and/or if the budget will handle it, arrange for a day trip or overnight to Kotezebue or Barrow, both actually above the Arctic Circle (BRW by lots, OTZ barely - get it?) for actual 24-hour sun.

Travel to Anchorage via Denali, then again if the wallet permits, think about a couple of nights at a fly-in cabin on a lake, using one of the floatplane operators from Lake Hood in Anchorage. Many have boats and the operators will have fishing tackle for you to use - just bring your own food. Amazing experience for kids and their parents too - just you, the loons, moose, eagles, whatever. Bring Deet.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:15 am

Programs: AA PLT
While I certainly agree with the Alaska recommendations, the Highlands of Scotland is another interesting spot to spend the solstice. It does get dark, but not very. We experienced a prehistoric stone circle at midnight on the solstice, where we were the only people (and it was light enough to read the signage). There's also fabulous scenery, wonderful walking/hiking, Celtic music, castles, and Scotch (known locally as "whisky" for blends and "malt" for the single malt variety).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.