Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you proactively check alternate flights in the event that yours may be cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you proactively check alternate flights in the event that yours may be cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Flying UA this past weekend PHL-IAD-SAN, the first leg of my trip was cancelled and I was rerouted via DEN. My new flight to DEN was delayed so I missed the connector to SAN.

The question being: Before leaving for the airport do you check alternate flights so that in the event your flight is cancelled/delayed you know what your alternatives are?
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott- Platinum, US Airways- Chairmans Preferred
Originally Posted by liquid
Flying UA this past weekend PHL-IAD-SAN, the first leg of my trip was cancelled and I was rerouted via DEN. My new flight to DEN was delayed so I missed the connector to SAN.

The question being: Before leaving for the airport do you check alternate flights so that in the event your flight is cancelled/delayed you know what your alternatives are?
I don't ever proactively search for alternatives, b/c I always assume I'll be able to get on. Now come to think about it I just may start doing that...
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:00 am

I always print out a list for both the outgoing and return flight. Mainly becuase I book the last flight of the day and then change my flight to an earlier flight if I get done with my business.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
When I know I might pick up a bump, I make sure to visit SkyGuide and print out the schedules for all possible routings on all carriers. If not, I've got the KLM/NW schedule program installed on my laptop and boot that up to see possibilities.

aloha
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:13 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
In the summer,winter, spring and fall flying through ORD, DFW and JFK. Yes.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:42 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Anytime I've got a tight connection, I'll always check later flights.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I usually check, but not because of calcellations. If there is an earlier flight, and I'm at the airport early enough, I'll ask "Is there any chance I can get on the 1:30 one instead if there is room?"
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA
I also print out lists for the return flight for each trip, for the same reason - I book the last flight of the day and standby for an earlier flight if I finish earlier than expected. Thanks to flyertalk, I've also learned to check for availability on alternate flights, so I have a better idea of which ones I can get on.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:37 pm

I always have a print out of alternatives in case of delays or cancellations so that I can call reservations from my cell phone immediately rather than waiting in line with everyone else.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Mostly fly NWA.

I have their schedule downloaded on my PDA (nice little program they have) and I keep it up-to-date (simply do a synchronization). Works great! Get all the flight options (with aircraft types) I need.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Always. There's more to it that cancellations. Maybe you get done early. Or the meeting runs late. Or the weather is bad. Or the traffic to the airport might be bad. Or Or Or. You're nuts if you don't.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
A good reason to get a PDA is for the downloadeable timetables and keeping them updated. If your flight gets cancelled or you are on a flight getting in late you can get yourself booked on an alternate flight the minute your plane touches down and you can turn on your mobile phone to call support. A UA flight I was on landed two hours late and I called UA and had them book me on a different flight immediately. You should have seen the humongous line at the Customer Service counter after arrival.

On my Palm I have American, Air Canada, Alaska, America West, British Continental, Delta, Lufthansa, Northwest, SkyTeam, Star Alliance, United, and US Airways timetables.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I tend to have a printout of alternate flights if bad weather is expected, or if the flight load is such that I might be able to get bumped. Nice to arrive with suggestions for how you'd like to continue on.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CApreppie
A good reason to get a PDA is for the downloadeable timetables and keeping them updated. If your flight gets cancelled or you are on a flight getting in late you can get yourself booked on an alternate flight the minute your plane touches down and you can turn on your mobile phone to call support. A UA flight I was on landed two hours late and I called UA and had them book me on a different flight immediately. You should have seen the humongous line at the Customer Service counter after arrival.

On my Palm I have American, Air Canada, Alaska, America West, British Continental, Delta, Lufthansa, Northwest, SkyTeam, Star Alliance, United, and US Airways timetables.
As much as I hate to admit that you're correct about using a PDA for this, you're probably right. I always prided myself on knowing just about all the possibilities without needing a reference, but in the last few years I have let the computer do this work for me and sometimes it is not practical to get up and boot up when a situation develops. And as for carrying a printout, it's no go. I'd just as soon go back to carrying a Pocket Flight Guide as I did in the century just passed.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yup, I always have. Like cordelli, I'll often do it in case I've finished my appointments earlier than expected and want to return home that much sooner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.