Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Convenient Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Most Convenient Airport

There's a long-running thread for Most Inconvenient Airport, so I figured it was time for the opposite.

My initial nomination is Eilat (ETH), which is so inside the city that the runway pretty much bisects the town, and marks the only time I've ever walked from the airport to my final destination in town. But ETH serves only domestic traffic, all international (charter) flights land at Ovda which is over an hour away in the middle of the Negev desert.

In happier days there were plans to build a new joint airport for Eilat (Israel) and immediately adjacent Aqaba (Jordan) in the no-man's-land between the two, but needless to say this just isn't going to happen anytime soon...
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:09 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
City Island Airport in Toronto. You can't land the Big Birds there but I remember flying in from EWR in the early 1990s. A short (free) ferry ride into downtown Toronto.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:35 am
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Berlin-Tempelhof (THF)

It takes you only 10 mins by subway into downtown Berlin!
It´s mainly used for domestic destinations but also to neighbouring european countries. Actual aircraft size up to Bae 146/ARJ also up to A319 possible.

Unfortunately the local administration is trying to close it by oct. this year for political reasons not for economical ones... (ideological reasons mainly...)
Although its making losses everyone knows its just because they´re -successfully- trying to make it have losses...
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Geneva Airport (Cointrin)

The ideal size, excellent choice of transportation for all budgets, never too crowded and depending on where you have to go in the city, you are there in 15-20 minutes.

The train station might be a little far to reach for people not liking to walk, but after a flight, ideal to get the blood running again.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
SAN and BOS are pretty handy for airports that serve "big" cities.

Gibraltar's airport has a grade-crossing!
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:51 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
For a major airport, I would have to say Las Vegas as it is right there near the strip.

for local, I would have to say Palwaukee Airport http://www.palwaukee.org/ in Wheeling, IL and Lakeland Airport http://north-wis.com/noblelee/ in Woodruff, WI only because a terrific, somewhat cheap charter Trans North Aviation http://www.transnorth.com flys there, keeps my wife happy and these airports are 10 minutes our homes.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:13 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
It would have to be Amsterdam Schiphol, which pioneered the easy and efficient one-terminal concept.

It has wonderful connenctions to the rest of the country, with it's own dedicated train station directly under the terminal. 15 minutes gets one to the very center of Amsterdam; 45 minutes to the center of The Hague. There are both regional and intercity services, lots of buses and lots of taxis, all close and convenient. Even the high speed train services to Brussels and Paris make a stop there. The landside facilities are also great, making for a more convenient and enjoyable experience when saying last goodbyes and so on.

There is, of course, things not directly related to convenience but make for a more enjoyable and convenient airport experience, such as the great shopping, eating (except when on Schengen flights) and aircraft viewing possibilities. It's the only airport where I forgo use of the lounges and instead spend my time looking around, watching take-offs and so on... they even have Old Master paintings on display now while the Rijksmuseum is under major renovation!!
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:15 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
London City airport is very convenient in that it smack in the middle of London, right close to Canary Wharf and only 15 minute taxi lift to the City and other parts. But it can only handle very small aircraft.

I still say Amersterdam because whether you're coming from Sydney or Paris, it's easy to get around, use, and connect to one's final destination.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:31 am

I vote for Gibralter
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I used to live near NCE and at the time it was extremely convenient. But it's grow a bit over the last few years and I'm not so sure anymore. Yet it is still one of the most convenient in Europe in my experience.

Ditto for LGB. You used to be able to park and walk about 200 yards to the gate. Yet 9/11 killed that as the idiots in charge moved the parking lot far, far away. But it's still much more convenient than LAX.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:19 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
I find IAD very Convenient

my garage is 6.6 miles from the lt parking lot at Dulles
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
I agree with BOS, especially since it is international, and DCA, ORD, and MDW are all also quite convenient for big city U.S. airports. I mean getting to/from, not what happens when you get there. <g> AEP, the domestic airport in Buenos Aires, is also quite convenient, in the city and just a short taxi ride or bus from the center of the city, actually could walk in if one is so inclined to walk the mile or two. <g> APF is pretty much in central Naples (Florida) but the only scheduled service it really has anymore is seasonal CO feeder service on Gulf Air.

Last edited by MelP; Aug 14, 2004 at 12:12 pm
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
For a major city, SYD is very convenient. I dont remember taking too long in the subway from MAD to the city. SIN not too bad either.

Plenty of smaller cities that have convenient airports eg WLG, CHC, NSN, Reykjavik (RKV domestic not KEF international), MEX, RAR.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 2:00 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I agree with LCY (particularly the 10-minute check-in) and AMS. I also find Glasgow (Abbotsinch) very handy - but maybe that's because I'm from Paisley...
Old Aug 14, 2004, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMS! My record from airplane to city (international w/ checked bags) 35 minutes at AMS. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.