Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop - overhead or under the seat?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2004, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Laptop - overhead or under the seat?

haven't really seen this discussed explicitly. What are people's prefs for storing their notebook/laptop bag in flight, especially the long-haul flights. I tend to throw my small laptop backpack under the seat in front of me, primarily because:

1. Peace of mind knowing that it is close to me pretty much all the time
2. Easy access to the other crap I carry with me (music, mags)
3. I don't have to worry about other people handling it or, worse, crushing it with their own stuff.

Downside:

1. somewhat reduced legroom, but as I say my backpack is pretty small so it doesn't occupy the whole space.
2. if it is even slightly bigger, seatmate can step on it on the way to use the lav, unless you have a window seat (I prefer aisle myself).

How does everyone else manage?
Old Jul 31, 2004, 6:38 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I've been fortunate enough to have cleared the upgrade lists on my longhaul flights to Asia and Europe. If I'm on a United 747 in business I store my laptop tote in the sidebins that are available to those sitting upstairs. If I'm on a 777 I usually put it in front of me. When I'm traveling domestically on narrowbodies occasionally I do put it in the overhead bin opposite my seat so if someone does need to rummage through the overhead bin I can see what they are doing.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I am always in a bulkhead (or, failing that, an Exit Row) so mine is always "upstairs" in the bin. I always grab aisle so I don't pester the people next to me getting in and out. Usually as soon as I sit I unload my noise-cancelling headphones, my DVD carrier, and the spare battery. That way, as soon as the Captain kicks off the Seatbelt Sign, I get up, grab the laptop, and watch movies till he announces "we're starting our descent and will be turning on the FSB sign in a few moments" which is when I power down and store everything.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
I have long legs, so I almost always store mine overhead unless I'm in Business or First. To be honest, I rarely use it in flight (except to watch movies on flights to/from Japan), so it's not a big deal to me. I do, however always unload my Bose headphones, MP3 player, book, bottled water, etc before I put it in the overhead bin.

I always keep it either in the bin over my seat or in the one in front of it if there is not room available, becuase I want to be able to see if someone is trying to get into my bag. Not that this has ever happened, however. Also, I have a big yellow FLYER TALK tag on my bag because so many times these bags look alike and I want to make sure no one grabs mine by mistake (yes, this has in fact happened).
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:28 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
As I am almost all-Y, all the time:

- seat pocket in front of me
- between me and the wall (if I'm sitting in a window) - I've got a sleeve that my Dell slides into protecting it all around with minimal padding, so I'm happy.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have a backpack style computer case for pleasure trips and I will never put my laptop bag on the floor again. On a flight IAD-AMS in Biz Class I basically fell between the seats (think falling timber) and landed square on my laptop bag and cracked the screen. Let's just say it wasn't a good day. Now unless I have my laptop out and ready for use it goes in the overhead bin well away from falling people. I do however load the seat back pocket with the essentials --- headphones, book and bottled water.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:56 pm
skye

I'm always flying international FIRST CLASS on CX, and I usually keep my laptop in sight either in the seat pocket in front of me or on top of the crew only cabinets for the duvets if in 1/2A or 1/2K.

Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:59 pm

I keep mine on the floor in front of me. It does decrease leg room, but at 5'2" that's not really an issue for me. Because I now have to fly puddle jumpers, I have a small laptop backpack instead of a wheeled bag. Otherwise, the laptop gets pink-tagged...and I don't want it out of my sight.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Under the seat in front of me. It's a pain (sometimes literally due to a bad knee) during takeoff/landing, but as soon as we're in the air I pull the bag out, and put it under my legs as I stretch them forward. That way I have it handy, and I have leg room. On any flight over 2 hours I'm going to watch a movie anyway, so no point in putting it overhead, unless I'm in a bulkhead row and have to do it.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 2:38 am

Programs: Aurigny Titanium
Get a smaller laptop!

On most flights I am on (except Aurigny BN flights) the notebook PC goes in the seat pocket in front of me. That's because it's small enough to do so! (Sony VAIO C1MGP)

Until recently, my principal use of a lap top was for email, but now I have a Blackberry , that has declined, so my next laptop will be the massively larger (but which will still fit in a seat pocket even in Y)Sony VAIO TR-5

Nigel

Last edited by ridunian; Aug 1, 2004 at 2:46 am Reason: Typos
Old Aug 1, 2004, 5:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Always under the seat, except when I'm in 1A on an ERJ (for some reason I just like that seat, and I can usually get it).
Old Aug 1, 2004, 3:56 pm

Programs: US 3
Definitely in the bin. I don't trust those airplane floors...gross...

I do put it in the overhead bin opposite my seat so if someone does need to rummage through the overhead bin I can see what they are doing.
excellent idea.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I keep mine in a backpack that's pretty bulky because it also includes my cell phone charger, some paperwork, a few cords and my case of electrical converters if I'm traveling internationally. Backpack goes into the overhead, and the computer goes under my feet.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:45 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Under the seat in front of me, always. It is extremely important that nothing (like sticky fingers or butter fingers) touches my precious laptop.

Besides the wall that is too close, this is another reason I hate bulkhead seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.