Search

Cellphone use in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Cellphone use in the UK

I am a Cingular subscriber in the U.S. and have a Motorola V400 GSM phone. Cingular claims that I have the ability to roam in the UK (apparently using the Vodaphone network), using my U.S. phone number, for which I will be charged US$1.29 for incoming and outgoing calls. Alternatively, they tell me that I can purchase a pre-paid SIM card in the UK, which may allow me to use my phone more cheaply.

Any views or comments on this? Does this sound right? I arrive at LHR at about 8:00pm on a Sundy night. Might there be someplace at LHR that I could buy one of these pre-paid SIM cards at LHR, or once I get into central London, at that hour on a Sunday?
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:18 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
There is a "Link" phone shop in T3, but I don't think it will be open that late, most UK shops close @ 4pm on a Sunday (it's the law). I am guessing you will have to wait till monday morning.

tht
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by tht
most UK shops close @ 4pm on a Sunday (it's the law).
Just to be pedantic this law only applies to shops over 20,000 sq feet (ie supermarkets) who can open 6 hours on a Sunday (typically 10.00 to 16.00, although 12.00 to 18.00 is done by a few). Smaller shops like those in Heathrow can open when they want. The chances are, given how busy T3 is in the evening, that the shops will still be open at 20.00. You won't find anything by the time you get to Central London.

You can of course use your Cingular on Sunday night for a few calls, then go to a phone shop Monday morning.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Is it locked?

In my experience, buying a SIM card is not a problem, they're everywhere.

The only thing you'll need to worry about is if your phone is "locked" most GSM phones you buy in the States are locked to only work on the network authorized by the company you bought it from.

I have an unlcoked tri-band that works everywhere I've been with any SIM, but unless you know that yours is, I would ask someone (like the guy's personal SIM in the phone card shop for example)...anyone really.. to slip their SIM into your phone and see if it finds the network before spending the 20 squids on your own.

Also, take a look now to see if your phonebook is being saved on your sim or on the phone memory. If it's on the sim, jot down those you need before switching..

good luck.

Editing to add: I just read another post about ATT using GSM 850 in N. America, so it seems my TRI-Band phone will no longer be enough...time to get a QUAD-band!

Last edited by remyontheroad; Jun 3, 2004 at 3:38 pm Reason: Just found out...
Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
If you're in the UK for a week or more and are a heavy user (especially receiving) it makes sense to just go out and buy a pre paid sim and phone. If its just talking (no data) you need then you'll get something for Ł60-80. You'll save a small fortune.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
If you are not going soon you can buy a prepaid sim in the US and have your UK phone number before you leave. There is an outfit in San Diego (www.telestial.com) that sells prepaid sims. About a year or so ago I got one from them (Orange) for $40 (US) and that included about 10-pounds (UK) of preloaded calls. With a UK sim all your incoming calls are free and I know with Orange I only pay about 20p a minute for calls to the US.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:33 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
If you go to the UK quite a bit and you want to have a consistent UK number, you may want to investigate the Virgin Mobile option. The joining pack (with SIM card) is 10pds (with 5pds of airtime) and the value of the SIM never expires i.e. the number is yours to keep for life. I'm not sure if other UK mobile providers have the same lifetime option but most pre-paid SIM cards expire after a certain period of time (usually 90-180 days).

With a lifetime SIM, the next time you go back to the UK, just top up the value of the SIM and start calling. Incoming calls are free, calls back to the US are 20p/min. Make sure your phone is unlocked! I don't know about Cingular but I know it's very hard to get unlock codes from AT&T and T-Mobile will give it to you after 90 days.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Thanks, all. My first stop when I arrive will be The Link store at LHR, which, according to their website, is open until 9:30pm every night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.