Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Taking Advantage of Error Fare = Stealing ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Lowly Silver ; Priceline Whore

<Body of Text Removed. Can't Close Message>

Last edited by Sin5Cents; Jun 1, 2004 at 1:33 pm Reason: removed text of message since this has been hashed over so many times.. i can't imagine anyone would ever want to talk about it again...
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:17 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
This has been hashed over many many times on FT.
Exits "stage left" while the getting is still good.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sin5Cents
People knew the value of the product they were receiving.
Correct.

People knew that the price posted was mostly likely a mistake.
Probably, but reasonable people could have purchased the ticket believing they had just lucked out.

People knew not to and discouraged other people from notifying any >live< person at Icelandair or Cheaptickets.
Correct, some did.

But you fail to make the connect between the ethical duty of the consumer and the situation which was presented. And exactly what IS the ethical duty of the consumer, if any? Paying the least possible price for the highest quality product? If so, then we all did good jobs.

Withdraw more money from an ATM that was inadvertently dispensing $20 instead of $10 (i.e. $20 bills were loaded in the $10 bill slot)?
I once received an extra $5 from an ATM. Did I give it back? No. However, do they know that they gave me that extra $5? Probably, but I never heard from them; if I had, I would have given it back. Seriously. But in the moment, what am I supposed to do with that extra $5? Throw it away? Take time out of my day to schlep on over to the bank, explain the situation, yadda, yadda, yadda? Don't think so.

Would I, however, withdraw from an ATM dispensing $20 in place of $10's knowing full well that was what was going to happen? No.

I happen to recall an incident where just this thing happened, and people who had withdrawn more than they were entitled to, were later contacted by the bank to repay the money! The ethics of that situation seem much more clearcut, to me.

Go back and purchase more of a grocery item if they learned that the self-checkout was only charging the sales tax for the item?
Never heard of such a thing happening - there's always a clerk looking at those things.

Pump gas at a station where you could hear the gas flowing, but the cash dials were not moving?
Again, never heard of such a thing happening, so it's sheerly hypothetical.

Last edited by anonplz; Jun 1, 2004 at 1:37 pm
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The problem is: how do you know whether you are booking a mistake fare?

In the past, I have booked MCI-STL-MCO one-way for a $24 base fare! I have booked MCI-CVG-IND one-way for $17 base fare! One-way, no strings attached! Never mind the MCI-DCA-MCI $91 base fare round trips, MCI-DFW-SJC-ORD-MCI for $91 base fare, etc. (I know there used to be semi-frequent nine-bucks-to-Chicago fares on Vanguard, but I never flew them.) I do not know if any of these were errors - I suspect that they were not errors, but rather responses to Southwest or some other competitive pressure.

At what point does the consumer have to say "No way. These fares are too low. It is immoral for me to book them."? Is it just when the base fare is zero?
Old Jun 1, 2004, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
At what point does the consumer have to say "No way. These fares are too low. It is immoral for me to book them."? Is it just when the base fare is zero?
Clearly not, since Ryanair has had some (effectively) negative base fares in a few promotions.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WillTravel
Clearly not, since Ryanair has had some (effectively) negative base fares in a few promotions.
Wow - I didn't know that.

Given that that is true, then buying a zero-dollar base fare cannot be considered unethical. If zero-dollar base fares are a legitimate part of an airline's pricing strategy, how are we to determine which ones are mistakes and which ones aren't?

If the airlines can come back after purchase and say "That particular zero dollar fare is a mistake; you can't have it after all", what's stopping them from saying "That $91 R/T MCI-DCA you bought last week is a mistake. We really meant $910"?
Old Jun 1, 2004, 7:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Big discussion recently in mileage runs.

I won't go into it all, but I don't believe there is such a thing as error fares, I believe it's their way of doing market research on the cheap.

It would take any dimwitted programmer minutes to put in traps for fares being too low or too high, that type of thing is common in just about every other computer system, so there isn't any excuse for them.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 10:04 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by WillTravel
And in the last (before this week's poorer ones) results, the redoubtable CEO of Ryanair said words to the effect that "we are well on our way to our ultimate goal when at least half the seats on all our planes will be free".

If that's the way the world's going you're surely entitled to assume that any fare no matter how low is legitimate for the customer? Who am I to judge the airline's business model? (Provided I've got my travel insurance in place. )
Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I have a number of times flown on ryanair for £0.01 each way plus tax. Also had many flights where the tax is higher than the fare
Old Jun 2, 2004, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Big discussion recently in mileage runs.

I won't go into it all, but I don't believe there is such a thing as error fares, I believe it's their way of doing market research on the cheap.

It would take any dimwitted programmer minutes to put in traps for fares being too low or too high, that type of thing is common in just about every other computer system, so there isn't any excuse for them.
This is probably the best argument that the fares aren't mistakes at all: if they were really mistakes, they would have happened exactly 1 time. Then the programmers would have fixed the "bug". Clearly, the zero fares are "features", not "bugs".
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:11 pm

Here's an example of a free-seat offer from EasyJet:
http://www.easyjet.com/en/news/20040601_01.html

In some instances, Ryanair was offering to pay approximately 1 pound of the taxes, in addition to not charging for the base fare. That's what I meant by an effectively negative base fare, although I don't know how it was written up in the fare rules.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:15 pm

Not to stray too far off-topic, but what exactly is the thinking behind giving away free seats? Do they think those free customers are going to love the service so much that they turn into future high-yield customers?
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:24 pm

Not to stray too far off-topic, but what exactly is the thinking behind giving away free seats? Do they think those free customers are going to love the service so much that they turn into future high-yield customers?
The customers will get used to flying the airline. Then when they are stuck because they need an immediate departure, they will happily cough up hundreds of pounds or euros more to do it. I think the "free" passengers are also a benefit because each "free" ticket actually pays part of the per-plane taxes that are levied. Also, any passengers that don't show up, which is not unlikely given the stringent rules, don't get their money back, so there's more easy revenue.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:01 am

Programs: AE, AirMiles Gold
In Quebec, Canada, if an item in the store has a shelf price that is higher then the one that is scanned at the register, the store has to give it to you for free if it is under 10$ or has to give a rebate of 10$ on the lowest price.

If the scanned price is lower then the price indicated, the customer gets the lowest price.

Most big surface store (Loblaws, Super C, et al) have often problems with the pricing and I won't refuse any rebate that comes my way because of their incompetence.

For me, the same applies to any purchase I make. If the company can't get it's pricing act together, then I shouldn't be the one paying for it.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:49 am

Mostly you won't be able to find the return leg you want for free - -forcing you to pay at least something for the entire round-trip - translating into some revenue for the airline on seats that would otherwise fly empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.