Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great Views?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Great Views?

I fly a lot between PHL/NYC and HKG, but always using ORD-HKG. Two weeks ago, I decided to take advantage of a free stopover in Japan, so I ended up taking NRT-HKG.

The view out of the right side of the plane was spectacular! Flying over Taiwan, I could see the lights of the cities clearly, shipping and others. And as we approached HKG, I could see the entire Victoria Harbour lights, including the incredible new IFC-2. My companion, which was seated on the left side of the aircraft could only see darkness!

I was wondering if there are other flights with such spectacular views? Which flights and which side of the aircraft should one sit?
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
LGA

Most approaches into LGA in New York fly over Manhattan. Left or right side is ok because the approach deviates slightly flying over Manhattan Island.
Outbound is the same, but I'd suggest the left side, especially on a clear day/night.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAX.

Sit on the right inbound, and left outbound. If LA isn't smog/fogged in, downtown LA can look pretty dramatic.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by dhammer53
LAX.

Sit on the right inbound, and left outbound. If LA isn't smog/fogged in, downtown LA can look pretty dramatic.
Shouldn't it be the right outbound, and left on inbound.

LAX usually uses 24L/R, 25L/R for departure and landing, if there is no strong wind coming from east.
As you take off from east runways which are 24/25, you'll be able to see Santa Monica Bay.
Pilots aren't allowed to make any turn until they get to coastline.
When they flying over sea, and heading to north or west to Asia, they will make a right turn which will make you able to see the downtown of LA.

For arrival coming from west or north, they approach to LAX by passing between LAX and the downtown.
Thus, you can see the downtown on the left.
Then they make a right turn to land at LAX.
However seating on the right gets you the clear view of LAX.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:58 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Thumbs up ORD-SEA daytime flights

Flyting to SEA, make sure to get an "A" side seat. Opposite for the way back obviously. The reason being if its clear you get a spectacular close up view of Mt. Rainier and the rest of the Cascade range. Actually the other side of the plane isn't half bad either as you can often see Mt. Baker and others peaks.
Often times the pilot will "dip" the wings to give people a better view.
I've done this flight so many times and it never gets old.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by g_leyser
Flyting to SEA, make sure to get an "A" side seat. Opposite for the way back obviously. The reason being if its clear you get a spectacular close up view of Mt. Rainier and the rest of the Cascade range. Actually the other side of the plane isn't half bad either as you can often see Mt. Baker and others peaks.
Often times the pilot will "dip" the wings to give people a better view.
I've done this flight so many times and it never gets old.
Of course ^
SEA usually uses 16L/R for departure and arrival.
When you fly out from South runways - 16L/R, you can see Mt. Rainier.
It is possible to see it during approach to 16L/R when you coming from East.
Mt. Rainier is amazing especially at Dawn and Dusk.
I was flying from SEA to PDX two days ago.
However, I was unable to see the mountain due to dense clounds on the sky.
That was pretty disappointing.

Last edited by N227UA; Jun 1, 2004 at 1:32 pm
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:09 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Flyting to SEA, make sure to get an "A" side seat. Opposite for the way back obviously. The reason being if its clear
Same basic idea for PDX if coming in from the east (ORD). Great view of Mount Hood from an "A" seat while inbound.

I've also enjoyed the views out of the "A" side of the Golden Gate, San Francisco, Bay Bridge, etc. while coming into SFO from the north. The usual pattern seems to be to fly south while west of the city until well south of the airport and then make a sweeping turn to the left to return north for landing.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Shades of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320886 . I have to make the obvious vote for port side DCA on the Potomac approach, where you can see most of the major landmarks in Washington, from the Watergate building to the Basilica of the National Shrine.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by studentff
Same basic idea for PDX if coming in from the east (ORD). Great view of Mount Hood from an "A" seat while inbound.

I've also enjoyed the views out of the "A" side of the Golden Gate, San Francisco, Bay Bridge, etc. while coming into SFO from the north. The usual pattern seems to be to fly south while west of the city until well south of the airport and then make a sweeping turn to the left to return north for landing.

---------------------------------------------------------------
For SEA
Wait, I was confused.
I was assuming that the original author was flying OUT from SEA, not flying IN to SEA.
If someone flying from PDX to SEA, he/she won't be able to see at A seat because the aircraft is approaching to SEA by flying over Pudget Sound and making a right turn to line up for 16L/R.
However, he/she will be able to King County - Boeing field at A seat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
For SFO
It is possible to see Golden Gate Bridge, the downtown of San Francisco, and Oakland International Airport when you flying from north or west, and landing on 28L/R which SFO usually uses for landing.
However if there is strong wind, the aircrafts are going to use other runways such as 19L/R.

Last edited by N227UA; Jun 1, 2004 at 1:37 pm
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:39 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
SEA-ANC to see Northern Lights

Sit on right side of plane. I was in 1D in March. Awesome.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by N227UA
For arrival coming from west or north, they approach to LAX by passing between LAX and the downtown.
Thus, you can see the downtown on the left.
Then they make a right turn to land at LAX.
However seating on the right gets you the clear view of LAX.
I have had a couple of flights that do what you described but most flights coming from the east come straight in with no major turns, hence downtown and the bulk of the city is on the right.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Brattflyer
I have had a couple of flights that do what you described but most flights coming from the east come straight in with no major turns, hence downtown and the bulk of the city is on the right.
That's true.
The flights arriving from east don't have a major turn, but outbound have.
I mentioned only the flights coming from west or north for inbound at the original post.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
DEN-South

Flying between DEN and a southern city (ABQ, IAH, DFW, SAT, etc.) you fly right over Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak... quite a nice view on a clear day! (I had such a great view of the peak, but by the time I had pulled the camera out, clouds had gotten in the way...)

Obviously, sit on the "west" (D,E,F) side of the aircraft when heading south and v.v. heading north.

Also, pretty decent views DEN-So. Cal. Flying DEN-SAN will get you a pretty decent view of the Grand Canyon, for example.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 5:15 pm

Programs: United 1K MIllion Miler, Delta Gold
On a clear day the approach into Jackson Hole is great....Grand Tetons right out the window.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Any side coming into Queenstown,NZ

I was lucky enough to see Niagara Falls flying from EWR to YYZ last time on the left side

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.