Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

International Travel - is customs check at port of entry, or final destination?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2004, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

This issue was indirectly raised by me in the Star Alliance forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320279

In that thread, it seems that one has to clear one's baggage/luggage at the port of entry in USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

It seems that one can clear one's bags, in the final destination of the foreign country, in the UK, and EU. From personal experience, this also applies to Mexico.

I am wondering what is the situation in other countries.
Old May 24, 2004, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Australia....

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
In that thread, it seems that one has to clear one's baggage/luggage at the port of entry in USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
The exeception in Australia is, if you are connecting from an international (not necessarily Qantas?) flight arriving into Australia onto a QF flight numbered 400 or under, you clear Australian immigration and customs at the final destination (QF1-400 flights are international though domestic passengers can fly on them on domestic legs).

Some exceptions in Canada too. At some airports, you can connect to clear immigration and customs at the end point. The specific case was when CP was around, pax from Asia would arrive at YVR, and there would be a special sterile flight to take them to YYZ where they'd clear entry there.

It seems that one can clear one's bags, in the final destination of the foreign country, in the UK, and EU. From personal experience, this also applies to Mexico.

I am wondering what is the situation in other countries.
Depends on how big the country is! You'd have to clear at first and final(!) port of entry in Singapore! And probably how you travel/connect would make a difference like in the Australian example. Maybe ask specific questions.
Old May 24, 2004, 6:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by terenz
The exeception in Australia is, if you are connecting from an international (not necessarily Qantas?) flight arriving into Australia onto a QF flight numbered 400 or under, you clear Australian immigration and customs at the final destination (QF1-400 flights are international though domestic passengers can fly on them on domestic legs).
Similar exception applies in NZ. There is about 3 domestic flights (all CHC-AKL AFAIK) that are legs of international flight - if going right through you clear customs and immigration at final destination.
Old May 24, 2004, 6:57 pm

The concept of sterile international transit for domestic flights is pretty widespread. Air India runs an entire bank of these flights from BOM/DEL to BOM/DEL/AMD/MAA/HYD/BLR/COK/CCJ/TRV/LKO/ATQ every single night so that connecting traffic can clear customs/immigration formailities at final destination.
Old May 24, 2004, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I had forgotten, in my question, that the answers may be different, for scenarios, where the incoming flight from abroad, goes on to a second internal destination, without picking up domestic passengers.

My question dealt with the scenario whereby (with a country having at least one international port of entry, and additionally, at least one additional airport for domestic connections - therefore, I agree with the statement that for Singapore, the customs check has to be done at the Singapore airport) one would change flights, at that port of entry - to a pure domestic flight, or alternatively, one would pick up passengers at that port of entry, for the domestic component of the flight (in Canada, the passengers from abroad need to disembark, clear Canadian customs and immigration, before re-boarding the same or a different flight).

Talking about the converse situation: A few weeks ago, I was on a YYZ-YVR flight (AC 15), with an onwards destination to Hong Kong. I flew on the domestic portion only; those who were supposed to go on to Hong Kong, also had to disembark, and go through security at the entrance to the waiting area of the gate - showing them both their passports, and also onwards boarding passes.

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; May 24, 2004 at 8:09 pm
Old May 24, 2004, 7:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
My question dealt with the scenario whereby (with at least one international port of entry, and additionally, at least one additional airport for domestic connections - therefore, I agree with the statement that for Singapore, the customs check has to be done at the Singapore airport) one would change flights, at that port of entry - to a pure domestic flight, or alternatively, one would pick up passengers at that port of entry, for the domestic component of the flight.
Domestic ... Singapore

I dont think so!!
Old May 24, 2004, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Some exceptions in Canada too. At some airports, you can connect to clear immigration and customs at the end point. The specific case was when CP was around, pax from Asia would arrive at YVR, and there would be a special sterile flight to take them to YYZ where they'd clear entry there.
I generally fly to Canada (Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal) from USA or abroad, and connect to a different flight, going on to Ottawa. I need to clear Canadian customs, at the port of entry.

I have never flown on any AC (or previously CP) flight from abroad, with a special sterile YVR-YYZ connection - so I can not comment if such a flight still exists, allowing customs clearance in YYZ.
Old May 25, 2004, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by B747-437B
The concept of sterile international transit for domestic flights is pretty widespread. Air India runs an entire bank of these flights from BOM/DEL to BOM/DEL/AMD/MAA/HYD/BLR/COK/CCJ/TRV/LKO/ATQ every single night so that connecting traffic can clear customs/immigration formailities at final destination.
Although I assume the word "sterile" has a different meaning in India. The times I've been in the "sterile" areas in India, it looks like to me that a fair number of the slackers/hangers-on/people milling about (including the runway!) have no business being there, and it would be a trivial exercise to enter the "secured" areas and just play pretend or whatever.

It always impresses me how on arrival in DEL, the immigration officers and abovementioned slackers have this look on their face that says "who are these people, and why are they here?" Oh yeah! it's an airport! Silly me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.