Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the most boring city you've ever been

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2004, 4:57 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by Athena53
Panama City, FL. Nothing to do but golf and get drunk and I'm not very good at either.
Actually, Port St. Joe State park is a fantastic place on the coast.
Old May 24, 2004, 5:05 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
1) Adelaide, Australia - Nice place to live and the surrounding areas can be interesting but the city itself practically shuts down at 6PM nightly.

2) Christchurch, New Zealand - a nice place to retire!

3) London, Ontario, Canada. - Nothing to do here. a city in the middle of a corn field.

4) Buffalo, New York. - This place is waiting for a bull dozer to wipe it off the planet. Truely depressing downtown.
Old May 24, 2004, 5:15 am

Programs: QF,AA
I would have to second that for Adelaide...6:30pm on a Saturday night in Sept and walking along Rundle Mall and North Terrace the place was like a ghost town...seemed the most popular place was a internet cafe
Old May 24, 2004, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
As an Oklahoma City native, I can understand it's inclusion on this list. However, things have changed there in the last five years.... really!!

Way back when, there was no liquor served in restaurants (which meant that there were no decent restaurants, no decent bars... heck, no decent anything). Things have changed. The city now has a vibrant nightlife district near downtown, lakeside cafes, and is developing its riverfront.

I challenge you to go back there and see what you think... if you still think it sucks, let me know and I'll reimburse you the cost of 1 nights stay! (PM me if you don't think I'm serious.... or even if you do.)
Actually, I don't think I was being very fair. I was there a few months ago. I went through Bricktown a little bit and it was nice, but so quiet! It still feels like it is in it's infancy. I do like the fact that the downtown area is incredibly free of traffic. That was just amazing. The new Courtyard downtown is also one of the best I've ever stayed at although the parking garage next to it is a debacle. I've never been in a parking garage where you have to back up and re-center your car to reach the key card reader, all due to a tight 90 degree turn at the exit.
Old May 24, 2004, 5:40 am

Programs: AE, AirMiles Gold
Toronto. Almost total lack of night life.
Old May 24, 2004, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WHBM
Charleroi, Belgium
Would have to pretty much agree - good food, though.

Originally Posted by robb
Washington
^^

Originally Posted by Gregory Nelson
Champaign/Urbana, IL
There's a good reason for that, despite it being a college town - all the kids stay close to either their Greek houses or else go home to Chicago. Though the rowdy bars in Champaign can get fun - if you're underage.

Though I really enjoyed it in the summer, esp. Urbana, which is really pretty with all the trees...

Boring (which can be good or bad):

Most anywhere in Illinois outside Chicago.
Cincinnati
Pretty as it is, Louisville.
Milwaukee
Kiel, Germany
Would have to second Milano, sadly.
Old May 24, 2004, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
As to my Birmingham, UK as my #5; Bridge Street downtown has hip bars and restaurants and those midlands girls dress pretty damn sexy (or trashy, depending how you look at it) even on a Tuesday night.

- HobokenFlyer
It is Broad Street, by the way. And yes they do dress like sluts, which can be sexy until they open their mouths. Nothing is more of a turn off than a Brummie drawl.

MY vote goes for Glasgow. Too many psycos and homeless people, crap weather, and bugger all else.
Old May 24, 2004, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Copenhagen, and pretty much every other place in Denmark.
Old May 24, 2004, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
1. Hilo, Hawai'i...
2. Hilo, Hawai'i
3. Hilo, Hawai'i.

I'm telling you folks, it doesn't get much more boring than this (if the "hippest" thing for teenagers to do is to go to Borders and then shop at WalMart -- since they're all on the same block).

aloha
Been there, done that!!! (And even bought stuff at both)... Although for me, on vacation, it was still exciting!
Old May 24, 2004, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since the most boring city was asked, I can only submit one.

Stockton, CA
Old May 24, 2004, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Hoboken Flyer:

When you mentioned companies based in Fort Worth (my hometown but I'm not offended that you consider it boring) you forgot the most important one - American Airlines.
Old May 24, 2004, 8:42 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by JUANMA
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I was wondering what would be for you the most boring city where you've ever been.
My wife might say, "whatever city my husband is in at the time".

Old May 24, 2004, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Yuks

BALTIMORE Boring and Dull
Old May 24, 2004, 8:50 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by civicmon
Scranton-Wilkes Barre, PA
OMDG, I think we have a winner! I spent a week there one night, and it was unbelievable! We drove around for an hour looking for someplace to eat after 6:00pm (whihc is unheard of there unless you're going out to celebrate a major event with surf and turf). We finally ate at some miserable little barbecue place that served something almost entirely unlike barbecue. We took two bites and left.

Sorry, Scrantonians, but your town wins in my book
Old May 24, 2004, 9:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
It is Broad Street, by the way. And yes they do dress like sluts, which can be sexy until they open their mouths. Nothing is more of a turn off than a Brummie drawl.
You are right, it is Broad Street. The Hyatt Regency that I usually stay at in Brum is on Bridge Street, just off of Broad. (I knew it was a "B"). That's where the confusion came in my mind for me.

And please keep in mind; I like a girl with a brain and class as any other gentlemen; however, being from out of town, I wasn't looking for my wife or much conversation, if you know what I mean.

- HF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.