Search

Travel Budget

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:54 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Travel Budget

As we are all travel crazy, I wanted to get an idea if anyone else here has a set travel budget (for personal travel) each year? If you do, do you base it on a monetary amount or as a percantage of your annual income?

I usually set aside a given amount of money for me to spend for the entire year. However, I decided to try a different approach this year by simply lifting the cap on my travel spending. Well, we're barely in the 2Q and I can't believe how much I've already spent just on airfare alone. Of course, I've already bought my airfare for most of my planned trips this year.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 12:08 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
Does the travel budget include airfare, hotels and miscellaneous? Or are you talking just about airfare? I've decided to change my travel ways this year. Money and time are really tight, but I still want to travel.

I've allowed myself 700 dollars for the entire year for airfare. Don't know if I'll make the same level of status this year, but I'm sure to qualify for the lowest tier. I'm off to a good start with 12,486 EQM for 88 dollars (love those vouchers!). I think I've been too generous with my miles (gifting tickets to employees and friends) and should start to use them for myself.

In the past, I had no cap on travel expenses. In the future, I'm definitely going to plan my travel more carefully, and will set a monetary amount for the year. Quality over quantity, but that doesn't mean staying in 5 star hotels. I would rather have more trips in 2 or 3 star hotels, than fewer trips in luxury.

Linda
Old Apr 12, 2004, 1:33 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Ling
Does the travel budget include airfare, hotels and miscellaneous? Or are you talking just about airfare? ....Linda
Hey Linda... I would say airfare, hotel, and car expenses.

My airfare expenses our out there even though 5 of the trips I planned are on award tickets. For my paid tickets, the increased cost is definitely due to the purchase of premium economy fares so that I could upgrade to business class.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I don't set a travel budget. Personally I really would be scared to find out how much I actually spend on travel. My company has a very generous weekend travel policy so I parlay alot of biz trips into personal trips.

For instance if I am on a multi-week assignment one weekend a month I can fly to an alternate destination and the company picks up the tab (airfare, hotel, meals, rental car) up to $750. It is such a good deal I can't pass it up. Some activities are not reimbursable but the majority of my trip is free if I budget my $750 properly.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:18 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I just look at personal travel as a "cash flow" item. If I've got 'da cash, it just flows out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.