Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is Duty Free Shopping at Tokyo NRT any good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Judging from all the office ladies that travel to Hawaii to buy Louis Vuitton bags, I have to think that the answer is no.

Is the designer tie/purse/etc selection at least reasonable?

Just hoping to pick some stuff up for some friends/friends of friends and I don't have much time to do anything here in New York before my flight.

Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:43 am

The French design houses are knowing for pricing their goods higher in Japan. There are things on sale at Narita, but I wouldn't expect bargains (as compared to NYC).
Old Mar 22, 2004, 4:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
One of the worst airports for duty free in terms of price and clothing selection. But all name brands are available (for a high price) and lots of leading edge electronics (for about 30% higher price than US street). I just flew HKG-NRT and was surprised to see several young japanese women on the plane flying CX First class, beladen with designer packages. Curiousity got the best of me, so I asked and they fly to HKG several times a year to go shopping -- even including the cost of F airfare it is much cheaper than buying it in Japan. Does that answer your question? BTW their stock of goods from HKG was quite impressive.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
NRT is horrible. Their duty free sucks.

If anything, it's cheaper to buy bags owrth of clothes in the US than Japan, especally major-label clothing products.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by civicmon:

If anything, it's cheaper to buy bags owrth of clothes in the US than Japan, especally major-label clothing products.
</font>
You can get cheap but good clothing in Japan. Mrs. tide is a big fan of UniQlo (www.uniqlo.co.jp).
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

NRT duty free -- forget it!

Uniqlo -- Made in China stuff, but often better quality than in the U.S., and sometimes not badly priced, if you can find a size that fits! Uniqlo used to be hugely "in" with Japanese, now it's not so hot, but still readily available all over Tokyo.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The same factories that produce for Uniqlo in China, are producing for Walmart the next day, H&M the day after that, and RalphLauren soon after. Don't fool yourself.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:08 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Uniqlo follows a kind of a "one style fits all" concept. Thus their name "Uniqlo", short for "unisex clothing".

I don't consider "duty-free" shops anywhere to be inexpensive. As for being duty-free, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that the old "Duty-Free Shops" name had to be changed to "DFS" as they were not truly duty-free.

[This message has been edited by DoubleJ (edited Mar 24, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by DoubleJ (edited Mar 24, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.