Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boston hotels on the T red line

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Boston hotels on the T red line

I'll be in the Boston/Cambridge area frequently in the future, including during Harvard/MIT special events, when I know that hotel accomodations are both difficult and outrageously expensive. I'm wondering what hotels in the Boston area are very convenient to a T stop--red line, preferably. I'd like to be able to get around and avoid the insanity of driving in town. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Recently stayed at the Hotel@MIT which was a great experience. It's a short walk from the Central T Stop on the Red Line. Can be expensive during Red Line University special events, but so are the other hotels. Of all the hotels on or around the red line, I've liked this one the most. More on the Hilton board.

aloha
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:29 pm

There's a hotel directly in Kendall square and another nice on the Charles across from the Galleria mall. Both are easily walked to from the Kendall Street red line stop. That said, I don't see the reason for staying directly on the red line. There are many good hotels in Backbay with excellent access to the green line, and then it's only a couple of stops to Park Street.

The other option would be to take the No 1 bus (someone correct me if tis has changed in the last 5 years) from the Tower Records at the end of Newbury street (very close to the Sheraton) straight across the river and down Mass Ave directly to MIT and Harvard.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:25 am

try the Friendly Inn on Mass ave just down the street from Harvard law school and the yard.

A small B& B type place.
Not many amenities but reasonable room rates and a very convenient location. from the Harvard stop on the red line

(617) 547 - 7851
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:03 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Boston Sheraton - as noted, a short ride on the #1 bus up Mass Ave (though this does not pass by the Charles/MGH and Kendall Square stops on the Red Line). The Westin Copley and other Back Bay hotels are only a few stops further on the T via Park Street.

Kendall Square Marriott - directly above the Kendall T stop. I believe that another property (Residence Inn?) also opened in the immediate area, and a boutique hotel was due to open in the area in late 2002/early 2003 (not sure if it actually did).

University Park Hotel @MIT - Central Square stop

Charles Hotel, Sheraton Commander, Harvard Square Hotel, Inn at Harvard - Harvard Square

Royal Sonesta - take the [free] shuttle bus from the Cambridgeside Galleria to the Kendall Square stop, or #69 bus to Harvard Square

Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc. - near Arlington on the Green Line, easy connection/short walk to Park Street on the Red Line

Hyatt Regency Cambridge and Radisson Cambridge are on Memorial Drive, 15 min walk (or short bus ride) from Central Square

Doubletree is a 20 min walk from Harvard Square (I believe they offer a shuttle bus), but is rather isolated, between the Mass Pike exit ramp and a railyard.

Theater District hotels are also likely to be only a short distance from Park Street; Boston's downtown isn't that big. The Financial District would probably have poor access for your needs, unless you were right by South Station.

[This message has been edited by chalf (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:11 am

Within 5 mins walk of the Park St Red Line station:
  • Omni Parker House
  • Ritz Carlton (the Boston Common Ritz, not the older Arlington St Ritz)
  • XV Beacon

Also in Boston, the Government Center Holiday Inn is no more than a 5-minute walk from the Charles-MGH stop on the Red Line.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If you have no need to physically stay in Central Boston/Cambridge, why not stay in a suburban town (where lodging costs are less) and drive into the Alewife station (end of the red line)? There's plenty of inexpensive parking there and it's only three stops to Harvard Square.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
The Hyatt Regency downtown (formerly Swissotel) is immediately next door to the Chauncy Street entrance to the red line at downtown crossing.

Available on Priceline generally for $40/ night. (4* downtown bid).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.