Rental cars - return clean or dirty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rental cars - return clean or dirty

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Car rental companies generally don't care if the exterior is dirty (since all the major companies run the cars thru their car wash between rentals), but leave the inside dirty and you risk paying for its cleanup (it's in the fine print of the rental agreements).

I've washed a rental car, but only in the middle of a long rental, like when the windshield was caked with bugs or salt.

Who has ever checked the oil in a rental car?
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:24 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
I've washed a rental car, but only in the middle of a long rental, like when the windshield was caked with bugs or salt.

Who has ever checked the oil in a rental car?
</font>
I've done both. On long-term rentals, I wash the car as I would my own -- every couple of weeks, or when they're absolutely covered in salt.

And, as a matter of course, I check the oil before I start a long journey. It's less about protecting the rental car, more about ensuring a trouble-free journey.

I rented a motorhome and drove across the US. One of the conditions of rental was regular oil checks, and if necessary, oil changes. Just kept the receipts for a full reimbursement. Also learned that Jiffy Lubes with 14' door openings are tough to find.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also treat the rental car like my own. A car is an appliance. I haul 4 dogs in the back of the personal vehicle, and the dogs do have accidents back there.

Italy has great insurance. I once returned a car after a Tuscany vineyard trip filthy, and in pieces (someone knocked a corner off).

No Charge
Old Mar 2, 2004, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I get upgraded to really nice cars, so I try to return them in pretty clean state. I don't want them to get mad at me and never give another nice car again.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
I once rented a brand new Toyota Camry (with about 40km on the odometer) for a 2 week emergency job. Two of us had about 12 days to accomplish about 35 days work, all over Ontario and Quebec. We pretty much lived in the car for that period of time.

By the time we had returned it, we'd put about 4500km on it, filled the back seat knee deep with McDonalds wrappers, covered the car in mud, coal dust, and various other compounds, and riddled the front end of the car (particularly the engine hood) with little dimples, having parked just a little too close to where a Great Lakes bulk carrier (freighter) was unloading klinker pellets. In short, we trashed the car.

We also fully expected to get billed big time for the damage, which would then be passed on to our client (whose fault it was that we had to work in that fashion.) We pointed all this out to the rental agency when we returned it, but all we got was a shrug.

Never heard another thing about it.

(National at YYZ, in mid-1999 -- we were upgrading ships for Y2K to meet a psuedo-regulatory deadline.)
</font>
That's great.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Return them dirty and keep people employed. Anything less would be unpatriotic.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:07 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I rented a mini-van one week in PHL. One night I parked it at the Valley Forge Hilton, and the next morning magically a pretty serious scratch appeared (truly no clue how it occurred).

Somehow in the next two days the side of the van with the scratch got caked with mud.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:45 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA Plat.
Maxim or one of the other men's magazines did a story around 1999 iirc. They tried to see what they could get away with without getting charged. They caked the outside with Mud, filled the inside with fast food wrappers. I don't remember what else they did, but the only thing the rental company wanted to charge them for was when they threw the keys down an elevator shaft.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 11:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whirledtraveler:
Return them dirty and keep people employed. Anything less would be unpatriotic.</font>
Good Thought !!! lol
Old Mar 3, 2004, 12:10 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
As a general rule, I like to leave the car clean - try and collect up whatever trash I can. Have left newspapers on the seat and coffee cups in the cupholder on occassion.

Worst experience was when my friend threw up on the dashboard and carpet in the passenger seat of a BMW 3 series we had rented in Dublin. I was anticipating a cleanup bill - the car was pretty filthy... but none was forthcoming. Thanks Hertz - I owe you one!
Old Mar 3, 2004, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Who has ever checked the oil in a rental car? </font>
Never! But I did add air to a couple tires last month and then demanded $.50 back from Avis. And got it.

I lost a drivers side mirror off a Eurocar rental in Chester, UK a few years back. Someone else lost a passenger side mirror off their car at the same time! The charge was no more than 100 pounds.

Old Mar 3, 2004, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
I shovel the car out while filling up on the way to return.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
I sometimes leave a few things to pick up (a newspaper, soda can, etc.), and have felt guilty about it, but now I feel saintly. FT demonstrates its value again.

Old Mar 3, 2004, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sfolawyer:
I sometimes leave a few things to pick up (a newspaper, soda can, etc.), and have felt guilty about it, but now I feel saintly. FT demonstrates its value again.

</font>
Lawyers feel guilt?!

Old Mar 3, 2004, 9:23 pm

Ohh - I have taken a rental through the car wash! Actually, I was just a passenger - it was one of my colleagues - her rental was attacked by a flock of birds in Chatanooga, and she couldn't stand it and we took it to get the super deluxe car wash after lunch one day. I live in Manhattan and don't own a car, and let me tell you, I was irrationally excited over my first car wash experience!

[This message has been edited by Endor (edited Mar 03, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.