Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olympics in Athens 2004 - Lodging?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Olympics in Athens 2004 - Lodging?

I am looking for lodging options for the Olympics in August, award bookings or paid. Not suprisingly, all of the major chains are full. I am looking for other creative options. Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:21 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by toddpate:
I am looking for lodging options for the Olympics in August, award bookings or paid. Not suprisingly, all of the major chains are full. I am looking for other creative options. Thanks.</font>
I have tried using top tiers status in most of the major chains but to no avail... good luck finding an award stay... a private apartment rental might be a better idea.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
No hotel booking service will be able to help you - all hotel space is reserved for distribution through Olympic channels.

In Sydney there were many services which paired up private homeowners with Olympic tourists. I used one such service sponsored by the Olympic committee and found lodging this way.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:45 am

Buzz?
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:01 pm

Actually I am in the same boat so to speak. I am supposed to be in Athens for work during the Olympic week.

I am unable to find a hotel room anywhere...
Any ideas?
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:47 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
toddpate,

This really has nothing to do with miles or points, so I'm going to move it over to TravelBuzz!

Flipside
Old Nov 19, 2003, 4:07 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
I think it might be easier to obtain lodging by qualifying as an athlete
Old Nov 19, 2003, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
http://www.hotels-greece-athens.com/...2004/index.htm

http://www.kmtravel.gr/olympicgames/hotels.html

I found these two that say they have rooms. Don't know anything about them.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 2:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm in Australia right now and don't have all my links with me here. The ground "packages" being offered by the official U.S. provider run $7,000-10,000 a week. I can post when I get home over the weekend.

We're hoping that USA Swimming or USA Olympic Committee comes along with a family/friends package like they did for Sydney, but have not received anything yet (it was $US300 a night there).

If that doesn't pan out, the miles for award tickets go back into the account and I won't go. All the contacts with "friends of friends" in Athens have not worked out.

I'm going (if I go) with the Coughlins to see Natalie swim (will also be at Olympic Trials in Long Beach in July). Are you going to support a particular athlete?
Old Nov 20, 2003, 9:53 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
I made reservations long long ago and had to use status to get it with Starwood, I am told that "everything is sold out" and that people are booking in close by countries and going into athens for the day......
Old Nov 20, 2003, 11:08 am
Gui

All of the major hotels will be blocked out and committed to the Olympic Committee and the Broadcasting Networks. It is the same as what happened on Salt Lake City, in 2002 for the Winter Olympics. All hotels were blocked out and reserved by SLOC and NBC.
It was impossible to get a hotel room this far out. As time for the 04 Olympics draws nearer, you will have a better chance, as at the last minute the Olympic Committee and Networks may turn back some of the rooms. I would keep trying as time goes by, and would also check on private housing. Good Luck

Old Nov 21, 2003, 1:45 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life
My experiences in Sydney 2000: Hotel rooms became available 3 months before the games started, but no rooms in any of the big chains.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 3:47 pm

Here's the prices for the packages offered by the official U.S. provider that include accomodations:
http://www.cartan.com/prices.htm

There is a similar site hosted in Athens that I have to find still, that lists homes and apartments (but they're not cheap...seem to recall a 2BD apt or house was $1,500 a night).

Old Nov 23, 2003, 5:31 pm

Here's the local site in Greece I was referring to, with prices:
http://www.filoxenia2004.com/Price_list.asp
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:38 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I believe Hilton has some Diamond availabilty up until early summer of this year... Starwood was long gone.....

I was thinking of going there but there are no hotels available, all major events are sold out and the city is over crowded as it is... so I am not sure if it's the greatest idea to go there anymore during that time...

I mean, what is there to do - no where to stay, no events to see, even tourist attractions will be over croweded....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.