Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruises

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Cruises

I will be going on a carnival cruise in a few weeks that goes to Caymen Islands, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Belize. I love to dive and was wondering what sort of experiences people have had diving. Can you get good excursions off of the boat, if so, do you save much money.
Any info appreciated.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:21 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
Is this the Carnival Inspiration departing from Tampa? I went on that cruse last March to the same destinations and I had a fantastic time. There was at least one stop where you could go snorkeling, scuba diving, or snooba diving. I believe Cozamel was one of them.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Glad you found us

There's actually a separate forum for Cruises. You might try posting there as well...might get some good info.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 1:03 am

We recently took the other Carnival ship out of Tampa for the 4-day cruise to Cozumel. The ship does departure day, then one day at sea, one full day at Cozumel, and then another day at sea, and then arrival in the morning.

We booked our dives through the boat. The price was reasonable and the service was good and the diving was great.

You can book them yourselves if you want to, but why bother?

-David

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited Feb 25, 2004).]
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:51 am

We have done this itinerary more than once- not on carnival though. Good diving and snorkeling at Grand Caymen, Belize and Cozumel. We had bad weather when we were at Costa Maya.but we arranged a trip though MAYA HA resort- they can do a dive or snorkel trip. Usually iit is cheaper to arrange when you do not use the ship's tours. Check out the www.cruisecritic.com website- go to ports of acll and you will find the answer to anya nd all cruise elated questions.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:08 am

Carnival will let you book on the boat. It may or may not cost more than something you arrange yourself, but you can be confident they have checked out the operator, they will take care of transportation, equipment, etc., and there will be minimum hassle. That said, they may not offer the kind of diving you want (it may be geared more to beginners or large groups), they may not have it at all locations and you don't get flexibility (in terms of dive spots, etc.).
Old Feb 29, 2004, 5:52 am
sdl

ALERT!!
Do NOT assume that the vendors used by the cruise lines are vetted! This a truly a myth, perpetuated by the lines themselves. Money talks, and little else

I agree to check out cruisecritic.com, and go to their message boards, then under Scuba review the postings and responses there- at least one company used for diving by the lines has serious issues, and these frequent cruisers/divers can save you some nightmare dealings.

If you feel comfortable in vetting a company yourself, or it taking recommendations from the other posters, it is invariably cheaper to do it yourself and usually opens up more options and MUCH smaller groupings, important in diving IMO.

S
Old Feb 29, 2004, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Any shore activity booked through the cruise line guarantees the ship will not depart without you.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Georgia Peach:
Any shore activity booked through the cruise line guarantees the ship will not depart without you. </font>
Not a hard and fast guarantee. Didn't a couple of snorkelers get left behind by the activity operator last year? As I recall it, they were never found.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.