Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

For the verteran flyers - seat pitch on 707s and DC-8s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For the verteran flyers - seat pitch on 707s and DC-8s?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2004, 8:27 pm

Programs: AE, AirMiles Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WHBM:

The last "classic" 707 fleet, ie First and Coach seating, in scheduled service, was Middle East Airlines operating out of Beirut, using old American Airlines aircraft. MEA for many years could not get hull insurance on more modern aircraft while at their Beirut base. Their 707s didn't have a formal end of service date but had very slowly faded away by about 5 years ago. They had 150 seats, F22 Y128, so the seats had been pitched together somewhat compared to the old days.
</font>
I remember flying Athens-Beirut in or around 1995 and it was quite scary because the plane definitely showed it's old age and it had signs of being a spare plane written all over . One of the engine needed reparation on the tarmac and the ustensils were from various airlines, including Sabena, KLM, Canadian, AC and LH.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 9:45 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mktozd:
Interesting comment in the movie was that a guy in tourist class complained that he had paid $500 for his ticket Chicago-Rome. The joke back then was that he was paying one of the lowest fares on the entire plane.</font>
Adjusted for the CPI-U, that $500 in 1970 would have been $2359.83 in 2002. Can you imagine $2300 being the CHEAPEST fare on a flight today?

Old Feb 29, 2004, 1:45 am

Programs: BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Nuitari:
I remember flying Athens-Beirut in or around 1995 and it was quite scary because the plane definitely showed it's old age and it had signs of being a spare plane written all over . One of the engine needed reparation on the tarmac and the ustensils were from various airlines, including Sabena, KLM, Canadian, AC and LH. </font>
Ah, don't worry about the old girl. MEA flew through all the Lebanese political turbulence and had so much of their fleet destroyed by various terrorist acts on the ground at Beirut (hence the insurance comment above - at least the 707s were cheap to replace by this time). But despite appalling base conditions for pilots and maintenance crews, mechanically and operationally their old 707s flew on impeccably through it all.

Occasionally I see an old one at airfields in Britain. If I was miraculously offered a seat aboard on a flight, I'd be on it in a flash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.