Wiki Posts
Search

Edinburgh & beyond with a teenager

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2004, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Edinburgh & beyond with a teenager

I'm thinking of taking my 15yr old to Edinburgh in August and possibly other sites in Scotland also. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
How much time you have in Scotland, and what are you and your 15-year old's interest?

One place that should be interesting to a American teenager is Stirling, 50 minutes from Edinburgh by train. There's a castle high above the city, and a William Wallace tower just outside the city. Any "Braveheart" and Mel Gibson fan would love the history there.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

We'll spend 4-5nights in the city then head to another area. Anything "Braveheart" related would be interesting for us all. Castles and historical sights are definitely on our list to see, especially if we can get a good guide to take us to the sites.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
If they play golf, you are in heaven.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Many interesting William Wallace sites around Stirling:

http://www.scottish.heartlands.org/a...alstirling.cfm

Most of the (battle) film locations were in Ireland, but some of it was filemd around the Scottish town of Glencoe.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 4:04 pm
yk

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jac747:
I'm thinking of taking my 15yr old to Edinburgh in August and possibly other sites in Scotland also. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks</font>
You might want to avoid Edinburgh after Aug 15 because that's when its International Festival starts, unless that's the reason why you are going. The whole city will be jammed pack and lodging probably will be extremely expensive.
http://www.eif.co.uk/
Old Feb 17, 2004, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

We would be going right at the beginning of August and hotel rates are pretty high then too! I've only checked on The Scotsman and the Sheraton so far though.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
You could go up to Inverness and look out for Nessie in Loch Ness......you might be on the lookout for a while!
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:06 pm

Check out ajamieson's excellent Edinburgh thread.

Depending on what you mean by right at the beginning, fringe shows at some of the main venues (such as The Pleasance) will probably start around August 4th. Really catch some of the fringe if you can, particularly with a teenager. There's endless stuff to do, street-performers to look at, shows to watch. At the beginning of the month prices should be fine. www.edfringe.com would be a good starting point for more info (you'll see the official start date is the 8th but a lot of venues start in the preceeding week).

To be a first time visitor to Edinburgh in August and attempt to avoid the fringe is simply a mistake!

[This message has been edited by Wingnut (edited Feb 17, 2004).]
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
A fan of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" would enjoy Doune Castle a bit outside of Sterling.

http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/mpdoune.html

Culloden battlefield near Inverness might be another suggestion.

There's a scenic train ride from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh and back.

But I'd need to know more about the teenager to give a good recommendation. Easily bored? Any interest in history?
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:46 pm

Something totally different - Scotland's Secret Bunker in Fife (I think it's about 40 miles from Edinburgh). We went there in 1999 and it's a really interesting day out, an incredible structure which really hit home how seriously we took the war threat in the 60s.

Of course, not everybody's idea of tourism but it sure is a popular site from my experience.

www.secretbunker.co.uk

S.

[This message has been edited by steadman (edited Feb 17, 2004).]
Old Feb 18, 2004, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by steadman:
Something totally different - Scotland's Secret Bunker in Fife</font>
I went there are a few years ago too. It's near a place called Anstruther. My Dad has an interest of poking about in holes in the ground so he took us along, I'd agree it's pretty interesting
Old Feb 18, 2004, 4:49 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As a card-carrying Glaswegian (near enough), I am contractually obliged to advise you to avoid the English town in the East of the country, and head directly to Glasgow.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
The Ghost Tours of the Old Town are quite well done.

Also there is a complete city buried underneath Edinburgh - i.e. in the middle ages they just built the current city over the old one. You can get guided tours down there and it is very very spooky........
Old Feb 18, 2004, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
The Ghost Tours of the Old Town are quite well done.

Also there is a complete city buried underneath Edinburgh - i.e. in the middle ages they just built the current city over the old one. You can get guided tours down there and it is very very spooky........
</font>
I saw a TV programme on this and it looked amazing, I'd love to do something like that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.