What's the big deal about first class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 1999, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Katie Couric of the Today Show mentioned on air a few months ago that she only flies coach--can't see paying the money for FC, even though she can afford it. But then, she's a tiny little thing. If I was that tiny, I'd probably find coach comfortable too.
Last year I took my neice to New York as a reward for getting good grades. On the way back, the flight was pretty full. I was a Gold AA and they needed the three seats we were going to occupy--hers, mine and the empty one next to the AAdvantage Gold flier.
So they bumped us up to First. During the flight she asked what the big deal is about First Class. We were sitting in those notorious brown leather seats, which are hard compared to the soft fabric ones in coach. And she didn't care if she drank her juice from a glass or a styrofoam cup. She had some valid points--but I told her, finally, it's the prestige. That made her think it was worth it. You know how teenage girls are--now she can brag to her friends about how fabulous FC is.
Old Aug 20, 1999, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat
I fly about 150,000 miles a year, all pleasure, all low fare economy fares. Many of these are weekend trips to Asia, South America, and Europe. Leave on thursdays and return on mondays. Because of the benefits I receive for flying so many miles with one airline, United, I up flying in Business or FC 75% of the time. On long international flights, there is nothing better than sitting in a comfortable seat, receiving incredible service from the flight attendents, having a fine glass of wine, getting some actual sleep, and then arriving at your destination 10 or 12 hours later ready to hit the ground running. Service and comfort can be obtained very inexpensively, If one
travels wisely. After sitting up front, you get spoiled.

------------------
Old Aug 23, 1999, 10:33 am
Original Member

Programs: OnePass
What's the big deal about FC? No big deal.

You get bigger seats, more legroom and better food (sometimes). If you travel often, it is worth fighting for the upgrade if you're an elite-level frequent flyer. I do fly often, but not enough to reach the exalted elite-level status. But if you have enough miles you can use 'em for an upgrade.

Well worth for the prestige factor, though...

------------------
AlphaSigOU
Causa latet vis est notissima - the cause is hidden, the results are well-known.

Old Aug 24, 1999, 5:15 pm

3 things important to me regarding FC not already mentioned here:

1) No standing on the jetway waiting on line. Board early, at leisure. (I usually get this anyway for being elite.)

2) Reserved luggage space for when you board late and all the coach luggage space is filled.

3) 1st off the plane when you have to run the 1500 meter dash across IAH, DFW, DIA, etc. to make your connection.
Old Aug 24, 1999, 5:50 pm
Original Member

I agree with Jet - I'm a young one too - in my early twenties. I've had the travel bug for a long time and have been at least the basic Medallion level (if not higher) on Delta since I was 15. FC makes a huge difference - especially since I'm 6'6". Coach on European and Asian airlines is fine because the service is good. However, on US airlines, unfortunately, the service really is not so good - plus the seats are so cramped. I'm convinced that coach on airlines like SQ and SR have far more legroom than coach on carriers like DL and UA (and even BA ... )
Old Aug 24, 1999, 10:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
What is so special about First Class? Everything! Travel in First Class, quite simply, is the only civilized way to travel. As for the youth thing, I'm 21. I hate travelling in coach. Also, I am a President's Club lifetime member. And yes, this membership is worth every penny I paid for it.

Some of my favorite benefits:

1) Free beverages
For normal flights I have a club soda w/ lime before takeoff. Then, canadian whiskey (my favorite-- Canadian Club on America West, Crown Royal on Continental) & 7-Up w/ lemon before the meal. A glass of wine w/ lunch or dinner, followed by a Bailey's & coffee.

2) Real food
I honestly feel the meals in Continental and America West's front cabins are tasty and satisfying. Not restaurant quality, but certainly better than Denny's. Much more filling than CO's coach 1/2 turkey sandwich, 1 oz. bag of carrots, and .5 oz. bag of jelly beans.

3) Comfortable seat
First class seats are actually comfortable. I don't mind sitting for hours in them.

4) The People
First class people tend not to be crying babies! I've sat near an infant once in first and it didn't cry once!!! If the person next to you is obese, it doesn't hang over onto your seat and person like in coach.

5) The Service
I can recall only one flight where I received personalized, friendly service in coach. I enjoy hearing, "can I get anything else for you, Alex?"

So, is first class far superior to coach? YES!!! First Class is a pleasure, where as coach is pain.
Old Aug 24, 1999, 11:45 pm
In Memoriam

Shouldn't they be saying "Mr. TransWorldOne"? One of my peeves with the "modern" world (I have a few!) is inappropriate familiarity. At least until we've met... And, no, I wouldn't dream of addressing them by their first name, either.
Old Aug 25, 1999, 2:14 am

I am frankly, a very young Premier Executive. I had been Premier since I was 16 years old. I am 24 years old now.

It's not just about youth, it's about how much you travel, how far, and how frequently.. I've always loved to fly, no matter what class I'm in... but because I travel a lot (by choice since I do a lot of leisure and I chose my job for the travel that would be involved) that First class upgrade becomes a coveted thing. I'm young too, but that doesn't mean I don't care about my upgrades!

I love sitting in front. It is absolutely addictive. I do not care about wine or other gourmet food. I would rather I can get my 4th Coke and drink it without a sully face.

We are the ultimate consumers!!!
Old Aug 25, 1999, 9:36 am

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
In my opinion, a lot what you get in FC today was natural/free 10-15 yrs back in coach.
E.g., decent food, incl. breakfast; enough room to sit (seats were larger, more space b/w rows); reasonable boarding time (flights were not as full); attention from FA.
Today, you can only get this in FC. So, I strive to always get it.
Also, most of the time, you have a business traveler next to you in FC, even if on vacation; thus, you get more respect for your privacy.

Old Aug 25, 1999, 10:23 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta
I have been traveling FC since 16 years old (I am now 26). For me it's now very hard to travel in coach!

About 90% of the time this is due to upgrade certs or comp. upgrades which is probably true for many FC or business class fliers.
Old Aug 25, 1999, 11:35 am
geo1004

Darien-I, I used to think EXACTLY as you do. First Class was for people with more money than brains. I also remember flying and thinking that f.f. programs were a waste of time, after all, I'd NEVER fly 25,000 miles in my lifetime to get a free ticket.
WRONG... I do not fly nearly as much as most folks on FlyerTalk and I always pay discounted coach fares. But because miles didn't expire for a long time (and now that they don't expire at all), and I've stuck with one airline, I have gathered a bunch of miles, as well as elite status so I get to upgrade for free (using certificates sent by the airline). And I have also treated myself to a couple of nice free trips. First Class on a domestic flight of a couple of hours may not be that big of a deal, but last month when I flew for free in Business Class to Australia from Washington, D.C. I loved every bit of room I had for the 18+ hours of actual flight time it took to get there.
Cheers and welcome to FT!!!

Old May 16, 2003, 11:52 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Fast-forward almost four years later from the last post...

...NOW the answers to this question should be very interesting!
Old May 17, 2003, 12:16 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:

Fast-forward almost four years later from the last post...

...NOW the answers to this question should be very interesting!
</font>
Great that you found this old thread. Too late tonight to write a coherent response, but, cannot wait until tomorrow. I'll have a lot to say. Four years! What a difference even 6 months make. More tomorrow.
Old May 17, 2003, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Nanook:
I told her, finally, it's the prestige. That made her think it was worth it. You know how teenage girls are--now she can brag to her friends about how fabulous FC is.</font>
If only they grew out of it after their teenage years....
Old May 17, 2003, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Being able to get work done was barely mentioned. I suspect most of the posters get upgraded to F whereas those who need to get work done probably are paying for what they get in F.

No one mentioned turbulance. The back of the plane gets shaken a lot harder than the front of the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.