Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carryons

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2004, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Katy_L:
I shouldn't have to sit in FC to be able to get off the plane in less than 20 minutes. Idiots who can't manage to grab their bags from the overhead bin in under 2 seconds, preferably while already walking should be required to sit out until those blessed with more intelligence have deplaned.</font>
You've hit a nerve with me here. Although I always carry my bags on and never have a problem with overhead space becuase I'm usually one of the first to board, I have a hard time tollerating people who take forever storing their stuff or taking it down after landing. If you need time to get situated, get yourself and your bags out of the f****n aisle while you do so. Likewise, if you need time to get your stuff down, don't stand in the middle of the f****n aisle while you do so.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 9:34 pm
Original Member

Amen to that, Blumie.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Skymiles Plat, United Premier Exec
ditto.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Yup.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
You know, travel is stressful enough without having to b*tch about people who take too long to stow their stuff, carry too much stuff, etc etc...

I'm grateful most of the time to have an on-time flight and a safe landing.

Yea people are gonna be slow, carry too much. So long as it's not too totally unreasonable I have no problem with it.

In fact, I don't think I've had an issue with any of the aforementioned "issues" in the last year and half that I've been flying.

Maybe being a UA 1K helps me avoid some of that, dunno...
Old Feb 13, 2004, 5:52 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Katy_L: welcome to FlyerTalk!

I tend to use one of two alternatives: a bag that's too big to check for long trips, and a duffel bag for overnight or 2-night trips. The duffel definitely goes in the overhead. I also have a backpack for my laptop, which is big enough that I can stash my purse and other carry-on articles into it.

If I traveled more often, I WOULD get a rollaboard. If you've ever washed your hair with hotel soap (this was years ago in a Hilton that didn't provide shampoo and didn't have a gift shop), shown up at a business event in your more casual travel attire, or used the hotel blow-dryer to dry out your undies so at least they're fresh, you'll understand.

Last Christmas my husband, son and I flew to Myrtle Beach to visit my parents. Husband and I checked bags, son brought his duffel bag on board. My bag got lost. My son (a font of wisdom at the ripe old age of 19) gave me a sermon on why you shouldn't check bags. Fortunately, it was delivered a few hours later.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Oh, believe me, I know the hassles of a lost bag. It's actually only happened to me once, and it was all my fault - didn't check in in time.

I truly believe the airlines should be made more accountable on baggage, and the result should be that more people would be forced to then check their bags. And I do blame gate agents and FAs for being so **** lenient.

As to the person who said "life's too short" - well, when you are trying to make a tight connection, which I do almost all the time, people who are bloody slowpokes ARE the biggest problem in the world. Sorry, but I can't be zen about stuff like that.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Katy_L:
...As to the person who said "life's too short" - well, when you are trying to make a tight connection, which I do almost all the time, people who are bloody slowpokes ARE the biggest problem in the world. Sorry, but I can't be zen about stuff like that. </font>
Sorry to hear that. You know, in all my years of super frequent travel (and many many connections), I've never missed a flight due to someone being slow. Perhaps luck, perhaps just good planning.

In any event, if I have a really tight connection, I ask the FA to announce that could those who have longer connection times remain seated for a minute or so while those who have tight connections can get out first. And it has worked for one or two times I've really needed it.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Something worse than missing my flight happened to me on my last trip. They GAVE AWAY my exit row seat because they didn't think I was going to make it! All because Grandma and Grandpa Kettle shuffled around s-l-o-w-l-y getting their belongings together despite the announcement to let people with tight connections go first. And Mom With Baby, also taking her sweet time, while smiling at everyone as though to say "look at my adorable charge!".

The connection was tight because the flight took off very late - not due to my lack of planning. AHEM.

Then Grandpa Kettle stopped in the middle of the jetway, while Grandma Kettle said "get out of the way - there are people with connections!"

Duh.

Thanks for letting me vent, btw. I'm not always like this....
Old Feb 13, 2004, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No problem Katy. Are you a 1K?

If that happened to me, I'd try to call the 1K desk and see if they can hold my seat for me, or at least let the gate know that I'm coming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.