Reload this Page >

TSA Agents Hollering About Laptops

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Agents Hollering About Laptops

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:
They say it's because it's easy to conceal something in the bag and have it masked by the laptop.
</font>
As a former TSA person (and glad to be former) that is true- a laptop in a bag makes it very hard to see what else is in the bag. Other electronics lack the density of the laptop and you can see through most of them pretty easily.

As the other poster mentioned a large stack of magazines or books can hide some things as well. But only some types of objects. And if you have enough papers together you are likely to get searched because that can look suspicious on some X-ray equipment.

At my airport we tried to have someone out in front of the checkpoint to ask about laptops. The frequent travelers we didn't have to talk to as they typically were doing the drill before we got to talk to them. Plus after you worked a while you got to know them- you saw the same folks every week. We concentrated on the infrequent fliers because they did not know the process. This was to done on a conversional, one to one basis. No yelling which we would have considered bad customer service.

I disagreed with lots of TSA procedures but the laptops out rule was not one of them. There were valid technical reasons for it.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Non-NonRev:
In all of my flights since this advisory, I've never once seen any inspection of any device other than a laptop. IMHO it's just a way that the TSA can visually "demonstrate" to the casual, infrequent flyers on their once-a-year flight that their tax dollars are hard at work catching terrorists - and do so in a way that does not inconveinence Ma and Pa Kettle on their Xmas sojurn.....
[This message has been edited by Non-NonRev (edited Feb 08, 2004).][/B]</font>
I was no longer at TSA in August of 2003 but at my airport we checked things other than laptops. We even had specific intelligence about certain electronics to be watching for.

The flip side is that the managers want to see the explosive detecting equipment get used as much as possible. Some insisted that as many laptops as possible be tested. They certainly seemed fixated on laptops. That was not the most effective security strategy- a purely random selection of bags with laptops mixed in would have been better.

[This message has been edited by jbjbts (edited Feb 09, 2004).]
Old Feb 9, 2004, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
My laptop is the tiny Sony Picturebook which I never take out of my bag and the TSA never says anything about it. Because it isn't quite as large as the standard laptop it isn't a threat I guess.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Non-NonRev:
Not only is the laptop policy patently absurd, the checking of ONLY laptops seems to go against the TSA regulations for scrutiny of many different types of electronic equipment</font>
I once had a TSA guy totally mystified by my USB memory stick. He pulled off the cover and thought it was a knife or something.

Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:47 am

I have a SONY Picture Book and it always comes out of the bag!

In Ireland, perhaps the relationship with the US and the preclearance has something to do with the laptop rule?
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:09 am

Programs: AA GLD (On the way to PLT), SPG, HH GLD, GP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SealBeach:
Am I the only one whose blood boils when subjected (repeatedly while standing in the security queue) to TSA people hollering about taking laptops out of cases, etc.? 1) There should never be an occasion to raise voices at pax at a security checkpoint (and I imagine the hollering gets old for the TSA people, too).</font>
DCA has got to have the worst TSA people when it comes to yelling. They have passed the point of transmitting useful information, and blatantly try to intimidate pax.

The last time I flew out of DCA one of the TSA was standing behind the detectors bellowing "Remove your shoes! If you do not remove your shoes, you will be searched and you will have to remove them! Please consider whether or not you want us to search you, so take off your shoes!!"

Like many other FTers I travel in a pair of shoes I know will not set off a metal detectors, and I find this kind of bullying to be out of line.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aqualung:
The last time I flew out of DCA one of the TSA was standing behind the detectors bellowing "Remove your shoes! If you do not remove your shoes, you will be searched and you will have to remove them! Please consider whether or not you want us to search you, so take off your shoes!!"</font>
The standard response for this is: "You choose how you spend your time, and I'll choose how I spend my time." You need a big smile for this to have the most effect.

Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jbjbts:
... managers want to see the explosive detecting equipment get used as much as possible. Some insisted that as many laptops as possible be tested. They certainly seemed fixated on laptops.... </font>
Thank you for the insight, jbjbts. It does seem like a quota system is in place. I don't understand why my briefcase containing a CD player, cassette tape recorder, Blackberry, cell phone and travel alarm clock can sail through the scanner undiscussed, but my laptop must always be pulled out for inspection (though never, any more, turned on). Wasn't there just a news report warning about guns disguised as cell phones? TSA sometimes actually tell you to put your cell phone IN your carryon, and out of sight, before scanning.

The laptop fixation may have its rationale in PA103 (although that should actually lead to an obsession with Toshiba audio tape players) but I never had to pull mine out of its carrybag until well after 9/11.

Old Feb 9, 2004, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by diana:
I have a SONY Picture Book and it always comes out of the bag!</font>
Try leaving it in your clothes bag. In about 200+ flights since 9/11, they've only asked me to remove it once. I'm based at LAX which is supposedly "high level security".
Old Feb 9, 2004, 3:30 pm

Programs: AE, AirMiles Gold
Besides in PA103 explosive device was in the forward cargo hold, not as a carry-on.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/1988/881221-0.htm
Old Feb 10, 2004, 8:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I've never once seen any inspection of any device other than a laptop.</font>
February 1st in Norfolk, the TSA agent took apart my audio gear bag (which was inside a catalogue case] because of a "long dark object" - my microphone. He ran the contents through the scanner twice in a bin. (sigh)

[This message has been edited by LloydStamps (edited Feb 10, 2004).]
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:44 am

Programs: WWMFD
originally posted by Aqualung:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">DCA has got to have the worst TSA people when it comes to yelling. They have passed the point of transmitting useful information, and blatantly try to intimidate pax.</font>
Humbly disagree. If you want a real treat, try the TSA at BWI (specifically the WN dock). Mostly trainees with their first real-life experience as empowered adults.

Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1P MM
&gt;&gt;Why is America the only country that considers laptops to present a particular danger?

When I leave Sydney, I am always required to take my laptop out. So add Australia to the list.

Personally, I find being required to take my shoes off in SEA is most annoying. They require everyone to take their shoes off. It is ridiculous that the policies are inconsistent between airports. Or maybe they figure that Seattle's Microsoft or Boeing workers have devised a secret shoe compartment.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:07 am
Suspended

The TSA should be forced to supply slippers. That will teach them.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 4:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KarenH:
When I leave Sydney, I am always required to take my laptop out. So add Australia to the list.</font>
leaving SYD they made me take the battery out of my laptop for inspection. never had that happen before...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.