Reload this Page >

Any problems using Extended Passports?

Old Jan 31, 04, 10:17 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott, Hilton Diamond, National

My passport was stolen in Barcelona. When I went to the consulate to have a new one issued, I had no photo ID, so the passport has an expiration date of March 2003. On page 23, the Department of State typed in a message "This passport has been extended and will expire on 10 Mar 2012."
Does anyone have experience traveling on a passport like this? I've had no trouble in Western Europe, but I'll be in Malaysia and Thailand later this year and hope I don't have any problem.
Old Jan 31, 04, 10:47 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
The US isn't the only country that does this .... others do too and immigration officers know to look at the notes page of a passport.
Old Feb 1, 04, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chrisny2:
My passport was stolen in Barcelona. When I went to the consulate to have a new one issued, I had no photo ID, so the passport has an expiration date of March 2003. On page 23, the Department of State typed in a message "This passport has been extended and will expire on 10 Mar 2012."
Does anyone have experience traveling on a passport like this?
</font>
I fail to understand the above entirely. They basically issued your old passport on the basis of the digitized photo on file and then assigned a retroactive expiration date but choose to amend it so that it expires 10 years from that date? Or did something else happen?

[This message has been edited by GUWonder (edited Feb 01, 2004).]
Old Feb 1, 04, 10:51 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
I fail to understand the above entirely. They basically issued your old passport on the basis of the digitized photo on file and then assigned a retroactive expiration date but choose to amend it so that it expires 10 years from that date? Or did something else happen?

[This message has been edited by GUWonder (edited Feb 01, 2004).]
</font>
No, they had no digital picture on file. So, they issued me a brand new passport with a validity of one year (based on my statement that I was who I was and me paying a new passport fee.) When I got back to the US, I mailed in the passport with other proof of identity, and they extended its validity to the full ten years.

[This message has been edited by chrisny2 (edited Feb 01, 2004).]
Old Feb 1, 04, 1:03 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
None.

I travel on a Canadian Passport that was issued for one year then extended. I have been to/thru LAZ, YVR, IAH, CUN and AKL. No problems whatsoever. Some don't even notice it has expired according to the main page. My wife's passport was issued in her maiden name, it has a name change page in it, this gets missed all the time.
Old Feb 2, 04, 6:00 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, Mariott Gold
Wow, this is a major loophole. You would think they would, at most, issue a passport good for one entry only under these circumstances.
Old Feb 2, 04, 10:12 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yeah, this was before September 11, 2001. I'm not sure what the procedure would be these days.
Old Feb 2, 04, 11:43 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Don't sweat it.

My 2nd passport is only good in two year intervals and has been exteneded several times.

I have a post-it tab on the extension page in case it's questioned (which was only a few times by check-in staff).
Old Feb 2, 04, 1:47 pm

I have the same thing--a passport that expired two years ago but was extended for a full ten years. I find it amazing how many people do not notice this. The only people who always look at the back page are INS people in other countires. Most airlines do not even catch this even when the scan the passport. The only airline that took the time to check was CX!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: