Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Paying with USD in Third World Countries

Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Has anyone had any problems paying with the new colorful twenties (or now, perhaps the old ones)in lesser developed countries that normally accept USD as payment?
Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:42 am

Location: BKK, formerly Irvine, CA, UA 1-k-MM, Hilton-gold, Gold Starwood
No the information about the new bills was world wide news.

I was just in Sri Lanka, no problems.

One word of warning, always carry NEW bills, they won't accept torn or really old bills.

Regards,
Robert
Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by liquid:
Has anyone had any problems paying with the new colorful twenties (or now, perhaps the old ones)in lesser developed countries that normally accept USD as payment?</font>
Was in West Africa last week and used the new $20 notes. Had no problems at all- though they checked each note under UV light.
Almost all these places are fully aware of the new notes.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Brazil, Peru, Boliva and Argy this month. No issues.

ALWAYS take clean bills to places like Peru and Bolivia or they will NOT take them. No red marks, no purple marks, no writing on them etc.

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!
Old Jan 28, 2004, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Oh, and NEVER take old style $50 or $100 bills. Never!
Old Jan 28, 2004, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny how the third world is more in tune with our new money than the clerk at the local Ralphs.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:18 am

I've carried $2 bills as a novelty for years. Usually have a 90-95% acceptance rate in the USA. Some folks think they're not real, or are bad luck!

Overseas, in developed countries if they would take dollars, they sure didn't want to take $2 bills. In less-developed countries I found it very easy to spend $2 bills. They were often valued at MORE than $2.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:28 am

I was in Albania about 5 years ago, just as the larger faces of the presidents began appearing on the bills.

My contact told me, "Bring Big Heads"!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:38 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I was in Cambodia a week ago and I had no problems with US$ (all notes). Also no problems with old ones, because you often get dirty money back form local dealer. Only, if the note is torn, it will not be accepted any more by dealer (but you can change at a bank)
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:56 pm

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
A slight caveat to the above post on Cambodia. I've been living here for a couple of years, and have seen that torn bills (especially of larger denominations) are NOT always accepted by the banks. Sometimes they'll take them, sometimes not.

The new $20 bills are indeed no problem, though.

- Michael
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rkt10:
I was in Albania about 5 years ago, just as the larger faces of the presidents began appearing on the bills.

My contact told me, "Bring Big Heads"!
</font>
You were not there with Biden's son were you?
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Funny how the third world is more in tune with our new money than the clerk at the local Ralphs. </font>
This is because the US Government spends millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars on worldwide education of changes to our currency.

Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:19 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Michael:
A slight caveat to the above post on Cambodia. I've been living here for a couple of years, and have seen that torn bills (especially of larger denominations) are NOT always accepted by the banks. Sometimes they'll take them, sometimes not.

The new $20 bills are indeed no problem, though.

- Michael
</font>
I have done this twice and have had no problems; but I am not living there ...
Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Series 1996 $100s (the big heads) seem to be no-gos in many places in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. As do any of the small heads.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:35 am

In Russia, absolutely everyone is well aware of every intricate detail of the bills, and there is no problem with acceptance at banks or exchange points. The days are gone when you would pay in a restaurant with greenbacks: the rule is Roubles only, but businesses get around this by setting their prices in 'Conditional Units', where 1 C.U. = $1. When the time comes to pay, they just multiply the bill by that day's official exchange rate, add a (large) pad to cover themselves for the exchange rate risk, and take Roubles cash. If you pay by credit card, same thing - you sign a chit denominated in Roubles, which then goes through the regular channels. If you do the latter, you are being whacked twice (and in the case of Amex, three times if your card is not denominated in US$) on the exchange rate!

As for torn or defaced notes, most banks in Russia will accept them, but again, they will charge you a premium for this - generally in the form of an exchange rate 10% - 15% worse than normal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.