Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Space Camp

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2002, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Space Camp

Anyone have experience taking kids to Space Camp? I saw the one in Huntsville (but didn't participate in a program) and web site indicates they now have one in Florida too.

Any feedback/insight will be much appreciated !

http://www.spacecamp.com/spacecamp/programs.asp
Old Jul 18, 2002, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
My nephew went to the Huntsville camp two years ago, and seemed to have a good time. I also had two friends' kids who went and had mixed experiences. One key factor seems to be the role the child gets. Obviously, some roles are more desired than others. Your child must be able to handle not getting the "best" role.

My son opted for "Fighter pilot training" instead, and we did the parent-child weekend. If you child is the right age, and you are interested, I would definitely consider this option. We went to the California camp. They have cool flight simulators, cetrifuge, a great airplane musuem, and more. Only 5 pairs of kids/parents were there, so we got lots of personal attention. Food was great, housing was old but comfortable 2 person barracks. Besides piloting we did zip wire, some survival training (behind enemy lines) and the highlight was a paintball game where we were downed behind enemy lines with just pistols trying to make it to safety against the staff, well-armed with rifles, etc. Since the camp is on an old air force base, we had realistic survival courses to do this on. My son and I do lots of trips together, things like rafting, hiking and fishing. But this one stands up 5 years later as one of our favorites. You can combine the California trip to a visit to Sequoia National Forest, which is only about 100 miles away.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 2:36 pm

Let me plug the Huntsville Camp. We have the largest space camp in the country. For adults there's Aviation Challenge. Lots of cool things to do in the area before or after the week.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
yamaka,

Did your son get to actually fly a real plane? Or was it all simulators? If he didn't get to fly an actual plane, you should take him to a local flight scool and get him a discovery flight.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 8:09 pm

It looks like the one in Florida is accredited by the American Camping Association. This is a very good thing. Here is a link to info regarding the camp at the ACA site:

http://icd.acacamps.org/cgi/details.cgi?id=762

JP
Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:59 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
My son's 5th-grade class went to Aviation Challenge in California every year. They used to go to Space Camp, but the teachers found Aviation Challenge to be much better. Aviation Challenege teaches the kids search and rescue skills, land and water survival, navigation skills and weather forcasting and lets them participate in crash simulations and flight simulations. My son enjoyed it. They slept in officer's quarters on an old Air Force base. Food was good and the staff was great. They also had camps for adults and for adult-student teams.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 4:52 pm

jsmeeker,

No real flying at Aviation Challenge, but we did just what you suggested at a local airport after getting home. This was several years ago, and that little flyer is now a 16 year old Eagle scout. But he still brings it up every once in a while!
Old Jul 22, 2002, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yamaka:
jsmeeker,

No real flying at Aviation Challenge, but we did just what you suggested at a local airport after getting home. This was several years ago, and that little flyer is now a 16 year old Eagle scout. But he still brings it up every once in a while!
</font>

16??? Cool. has he soloed yet?
Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:13 am

No, didn't continue the lessons, just got a taste. Poor, hard-working Dad had the choice of his flying lessons or college for son and sister. Actually, with Scouts and his three sports, there was little time for much more. But he has the taste, and may pursue it in the future on his own coin.

Back to the original post, however. Everyone I who went to Space Camp says it was fun, but everyone I know who went to Aviation Challenge are much more excited about the experience. And again, the parent-child camp was a great time for all.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Looks like the Florida and California facilities are closed?

If so, has this impacted the quality of the Huntsville camp? Thanks

http://www.spacecamp.com/spacecamp/r...tions&view=ind
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:03 pm

Huntsville, Alabama. The place I never thought I would visit. Well I did. About6 years ago I was still in 8th grade and I went to Space Camp. It was awesome. I had a blast when I was young. I remmeber playing with all these random toys hich were all really neat. I really do not remember much. Email me if you still need help. I went with my science class and skipped a week of school. The bunk beds are really neat. Sorry I am of not much help.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:46 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I went to space camp in Huntsville many, many years ago (I think it was 87 or 88--not long after the movie came out), and I had a blast. I assume that the OP has already made summer camp decisions for last year , but perhaps should consider it again for this year.

Yes, it helped that I was Flight Director on the Ground Side, but it was just amazing fun all the way around, and I highly reccommend it. I always hated regular summer camp, but not this one.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 1:34 pm

The CA and FL camps are closed. They were contract operators, and the AL camp is the original (and best) camp in the system. The experience can change a kid's life. They learn so much about aerospace, but more importantly teamwork and social skills. You don't actually fly anything, but there is (or at least was) the opportunity to fly on a small plane. They take 3 kids up and fly around the area from the Huntsville airport.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 1:35 pm

767-322ETOPS, YGM
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

My kids went to the (now closed) California space camp and were both hugely disappointed. There was nowhere near enough equipment for the number of campers and they hardly got any time at all on the "good stuff." So Alabama BETTER be better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.