Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Lonely Planets and Rough Guides are safe again

Jury throws book at scourge of Lonely Planet
http://travel.guardian.co.uk/news/st...127291,00.html
Gwyn Topham
Tuesday January 20, 2004

Publishers of travel guidebooks were today celebrating the remanding in custody of a London man responsible for the theft of tens of thousands of Lonely Planets and Rough Guides over the past five years.

Ronald Jordan, 62, known to publishers as the infamous White Van Man, ran a network of thieves throughout London and the south-east, stealing travel books to order. Jordan then sold the books from stalls in the City and at Waterloo.

City of London Police described the case as "a flashback to Victorian London". Detectives began investigating this modern-day Fagin after suspicions were raised about his bookstall in Dominion Street.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Bloody hell! I used to walk past this guy every day on Dominion St.

Don't think he was very good though - whenever I looked, the books seemed to be pretty out of date...
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:12 am

I think I used to see him on Holloway Road next to the dodgy cigarette sellers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.