Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ticket stacking

Ticket stacking

Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, HH Gold,Mariott Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Ticket stacking

What actually is meant by this term? I always have heard of it and that it was "illegal" but not sure of it's true meaning?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In what context did you hear this? I've never heard of anything being referred to as ticket stacking.

A Google search turns up 8 hits, most of which have to do with getting multiple parking tickets (i.e. stacking one ticket on top of the previous).

d
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:49 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Could you perhaps mean nested tickets? Or end-on-end?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 5:57 pm

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
When I read the topic title, I thought it might have to do with the following example, which I have considered, but have never actually done:
(1) Buy a RT ticket LAX-LHR.
(2) Buy a RT ticket LHR-BCN with same departure and return dates as flight above.
(3) Remove staples from all tickets and arrange the four coupons and staple back together to give the impression that the two tickets were purchased as one itinerary.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 6:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I believe it's using the tickets out of order, using part of a second ticket before finishing off the first ticket. The airlines don't like it, but if you do it on different airlines, doubtful they will catch you.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Remove staples from all tickets and arrange the four coupons and staple back together to give the impression that the two tickets were purchased as one itinerary.</font>
With "impression" as the operative word. It's highly unlikely this would work.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:
The airlines don't like it, but if you do it on different airlines, doubtful they will catch you.</font>
Doubtful? I don't get it...if you do it on separate airlines, you haven't violated anyone's terms of service, so there is nothing to "catch". (I think we're all talking about nested tickets or maybe back-to-back tickets. I have never heard the term "ticket stacking".)
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whiteknuckles:
When I read the topic title, I thought it might have to do with the following example, which I have considered, but have never actually done:
(1) Buy a RT ticket LAX-LHR.
(2) Buy a RT ticket LHR-BCN with same departure and return dates as flight above.
(3) Remove staples from all tickets and arrange the four coupons and staple back together to give the impression that the two tickets were purchased as one itinerary.
</font>
Why would you do this? It's certainly not a violation of the airline's rules to buy a LAX-LHR and a LHR-BCN ticket: I have on several occasions bought my MCI-LHR tickets as MCI-ORD R/T and ORD-LHR R/T to get significantly lower fares. The airlines don't care.

(Granted, I've never tried to check a bag all the way through from MCI-LHR when doing this. Maybe that would be problematic...or maybe it wouldn't.)
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
Doubtful? I don't get it...if you do it on separate airlines, you haven't violated anyone's terms of service, so there is nothing to "catch". (I think we're all talking about nested tickets or maybe back-to-back tickets. I have never heard the term "ticket stacking".)</font>
The risk being, although you might be able to procure an online connection for your bags if the two distinct airlines have interlinked systems, that your first flight is delayed and you bust your connection.

If its all booked on the same stock, then the airline is obliged to protect you on a later flight. If it is booked on different stock, you might be stuck in the middle of nowhere with little option other than to buy a full-Y to get home.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:49 pm

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
Why would you do this</font>
As you said, maybe to check luggage straight through or to fool an agent into thinking you bought an interline ticket if you missed the connecting flight.
As pitz wrote:
"If its all booked on the same stock, then the airline is obliged to protect you on a later flight."
It probably wouldn't work though.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:46 pm

(Granted, I've never tried to check a bag all the way through from MCI-LHR when doing this. Maybe that would be problematic...or maybe it wouldn't.)</font>
It would work as long as the two airlines have an interline agreement, just show the agent both tickets and explain what you're doing, and your bag will be checked all the way through. I've done this twice, and other people do it all the time (many threads on FT mention this).

You still may be left unprotected if you miss your other flight, especially if different airlines are involved, but that's a different issue.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Why would you do this? It's certainly not a violation of the airline's rules to buy a LAX-LHR and a LHR-BCN ticket: </font>
Actually, it is against the rules to do so on many airlines. You can not in your example use two round trip tickets from LAX to LHR and another from LHR to BCN on the same airline to save money on a LAX to BCN ticket. It's against most airline's rules to do so, which is why, if you are going to do it, you should do it on different airlines.

Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:
Actually, it is against the rules to do so on many airlines. You can not in your example use two round trip tickets from LAX to LHR and another from LHR to BCN on the same airline to save money on a LAX to BCN ticket. It's against most airline's rules to do so, which is why, if you are going to do it, you should do it on different airlines.

</font>
You're kidding?

I do this all the time, on the same airline. I collect my luggage in LHR, and then check in again for BCN. I even tell the agent at LAX that I'm doing it (when they ask what my final destination is, I explain what I'm doing).

Never knew it wasn't allowed... of course, now that I do, it won't deter me from it in the future. What a stupid rule...
Old Jan 13, 2004, 2:06 am

The only time I've heard that this has become an issue is not with an airline but the EuroTunnel channel tunnel rail link - there was a report on a recent consumer programme in the UK regarding customers getting a payment demand from the company because they had not used the return portion of a cheap excursion fare and therefore were charged for the more expensive one way ticket. I think it's made clear in the terms and conditions of EuroTunnel's bookings.

S.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 7:37 am

I would love for someone to site an example were an airline prevailed in arguing the legality of nesting. There is no argument for this other than they want a higher fare from you. If I purchased a LAX to NYC ticket R/T and then decide to go to LHR from NYC while I'm there-how in the world can they say that's illegal! What I do at my destination is up to me-they should be happy I purchased the 2nd ticket on there airline -more revenue for them.

What are we going to do -prohibit me from traveling? Think about it ,what if the original ticket was for a return a month later? Under this argument I can't go anywhere for the month I'm in NYC because it might have been more expensive if I went there from LAX? What are we going to do set time limits -okay if you are at your destination for more than a couple of hours you can go somehere else while your there on a separate ticket? It has no basis IMHO.

[This message has been edited by chfenton (edited Jan 13, 2004).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.