Search

Ticket stacking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2004, 7:39 am

dup-sorry

[This message has been edited by chfenton (edited Jan 13, 2004).]
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jrk1998:
You're kidding?

I do this all the time, on the same airline. I collect my luggage in LHR, and then check in again for BCN. I even tell the agent at LAX that I'm doing it (when they ask what my final destination is, I explain what I'm doing).

Never knew it wasn't allowed... of course, now that I do, it won't deter me from it in the future. What a stupid rule...
</font>
I do it semi-frequently as well. As diligent as AA is at chasing off people who try to eBay their Kellogg's certs, I would think they'd be all over me like a bad haircut if it were against the rules. If they wanted to get nasty about it, I'd say "Fine. I'll move one of the tickets to UA." Fortunately, they have never said a word about it. It's not back-to-back ticketing, it's not throwaway, it's not hidden-city. Obviously, they are happy to sell me two tickets.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 5:25 pm

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jrk1998:
Never knew it wasn't allowed... of course, now that I do, it won't deter me from it in the future. What a stupid rule... </font>
I think some people are confusing what is called end-on-end ticketing, which is not generally prohibited, with other types of prohibited behaviors such as back-to-back and nested ticketing.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 7:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
you are using the ticket sequences out of order in end to end, which many airlines say is against the rules (though as indicated, not very well enforced)
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chfenton:
I would love for someone to site an example were an airline prevailed in arguing the legality of nesting. There is no argument for this other than they want a higher fare from you. If I purchased a LAX to NYC ticket R/T and then decide to go to LHR from NYC while I'm there-how in the world can they say that's illegal! What I do at my destination is up to me-they should be happy I purchased the 2nd ticket on there airline -more revenue for them.

What are we going to do -prohibit me from traveling? Think about it ,what if the original ticket was for a return a month later? Under this argument I can't go anywhere for the month I'm in NYC because it might have been more expensive if I went there from LAX? What are we going to do set time limits -okay if you are at your destination for more than a couple of hours you can go somehere else while your there on a separate ticket? It has no basis IMHO.

[This message has been edited by chfenton (edited Jan 13, 2004).]
</font>

Many people use the word illegal incorrectly. It is not illegal but is against the rules or at least frowned upon.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:28 pm

I also can't figure out why an airline would enforce this..... especially when traveling to Europe.

Let's say I fly to LHR on BA, and then while spending time there decide to head to AMS for the weekend, using another BA ticket? Would they honestly find fault for doing such a thing?

I guess BA would RATHER I book my ticket on another airline such as EasyJet.

CRAZY!!

I wonder what happens if I fly AS to BOS, and then BOS to MAD on AA. And then once I land I decide to take a side trip to ATH.

AS doesn't fly to MAD, AA doesn't fly to ATH. I can't imagine an airline having a problem with this. (Then again, little surpirses me these days.)

Could some give clear examples of what "Nested", "Back-to-Back", and "End-to-End" tickets are?

Thanks all!
Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by myefre:

Many people use the word illegal incorrectly. It is not illegal but is against the rules or at least frowned upon.
</font>
If it's against the terms of the contract that you have entered into, it's illegal. It may not be criminal - you won't go to prison for it - but it is nonetheless a breach of the contract, and therefore a breach of the law for which the law provides remedies.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 5:44 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
SPIT-

in answer to 2 of your questions-

NESTED TICKETS

I live in NJ and need to go to Dallas for a week at a time, once a month or so. I don't want to stay over a Saturday.

So, I buy a EWR-DFW round trip ticket from Airline A leaving NJ Monday, returning Friday 4 weeks later. I then buy a DFW-EWR round trip ticket from Airline B, leaving DFW the Friday of the week I arrive on Airline A, and returning from NJ back to DFW on the Monday of the week I want to go back to DFW. So, my itinerary looks like this:

Monday Airline A EWR-DFW
following Friday Airline B DFW-EWR
Monday a couple of weeks later Airline B EWR-DFW
following Friday Airline A DFW-EWR

If you book both these flights on the same airline it's a violation of their rules. If you book them on 2 different airlines it's very hard for hem to catch and, as far as I know, no violation. I wouldn't do it on a CO-NW combination and post them to the same account, though.

I think that for back-to-back tickets, you buy 2 round trips- one from EWR to DFW leaving the Monday you want to go there (return date doesn't matter) and one from DFW to EWR the following Friday. Again, return date doesn't matter. You don't use the return flight on either ticket. Despite that, the round trip with Saturday stay for 2 trips is generally less than Monday-Friday in full fare Coach.

Again, a violation of the rules and fairly easy for them to catch. I've occasionally not used the return portion of a round trip (another violation called "throwaway ticketing") but they don't seem to get too crazy anout that unless there's a pattern of it.

[This message has been edited by Athena53 (edited Jan 14, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.