Wiki Posts
Search

say it ain't so....no more e-tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:42 am
RCC
Original Poster

say it ain't so....no more e-tickets?

just caught the end of the 12 o'clock news, moments ago.....

something about e-tixs are no longer valid @ airports or something....does this mean back to boarding cards?

kindly note, I caught the end of the news cast....didnt hear the whole story, thought this post would be of interest to all, who ever knows more please share......

persoanlly, whever ever I flew, I always printed it at home & it made life simple...

say it aint so...

Ric
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:14 am

I love misinformation like this.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:33 am
Original Member

Most likely the report indicated that you can't merely use the e-ticket to pass through security at the airport.

You have to get your boarding pass prior to going through security and show the boarding pass in addition to your e-ticket or paper ticket.

This has been the rule for quite a while at LAX. It would be a royal pain for travellers not checking bags except for the fact that most airports with this rule have Kiosks that print out the boarding passes if you swipe an ID such as a credit card.

If you are checking bags, you can get your boarding pass at that time.

I cannot understand how this rule improves security. My personal thought is that the airlines have lobbied for this procedure to reduce lines at the gate. Travellers will only use kiosks if they are forced to do so.

Fewer passengers going to the gate for boarding passes allows the airlines to reduce staffing at the gate and possibly turn planes faster.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:38 am
Original Member

I should have also mentioned that many airlines will let a person print boarding passes from his or her computer within 24 hours of a flight.

I wonder if this rule will discourage airlines from not assigning seats to those who buy tickets on a nearly full flight and don't have status on the airline.

Does anyone know if a boarding pass can be printed on various airlines without a sear assignment (excluding Southwest which doesn't assign seating on any boarding passes)?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
I wonder when Homeland Insecurity will decide boarding passes printed at home aren't *official* enough.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

This thread will most likely be transferred by a moderator to the Travel Safety/Security forum.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 1:23 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
This is so stupid. Anyone who wanted to forge a boarding pass good enough to fool the quick visual check given boarding passes by screeners could figure out how to do it in few days.

Granted, the home-printed boarding passes can be forged with the use of any photocopier, but so what. It's easy to buy card stock used for boarding passes.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 1:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I would guess they were saying a local airport had been switched to one that an e-ticket was no longer valid for security you need a boarding card.

See

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1044.xml

For the rules, and a link to the listing of airports.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
This thread will most likely be transferred by a moderator to the Travel Safety/Security forum.</font>
That does seem a more appropriate home than MilesBuzz, which is for discussion of miles and points.

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Safety/Security forum, linked to above.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz and Delta moderator
Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gleff:
Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Safety/Security forum, linked to above.</font>
Oops!

This is TravelBuzz!, not the Travel Safety/Security forum, gleff.

However, I totally understand, as it must be a force of habit...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.