Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is There Any Thrill To Be On An Inaugural Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire

I had plans to be on the inaugural Jetblue flight out of BOS.

It is looking like to be able to schedule this will present some moderate challenges with work, etc. How work always gets in the way of fun things like mileage runs, etc.

I have never been on an inaugural flight for any airline.

I am wondering if anyone has done this, and if you could report on how these flights are different? E.g. gifts, meeting the CEO of the airline, water cannon salute, or other novelties.

I still could go, but I would essentially have to use almost 2 vacation days, and I would miss some scheduled meetings. I might see if I can get a return flight the same day, but I wanted to get some feedback on the relative thrill or lack there of for an inaugural flight.

Again Jet Blue.

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't recall any thrill, but I will always remember what was represented to us as the inaugural 757 flight with paying customers on Eastern Airlines. It was maybe 1981 or 82 and left ATL in the late afternoon for MIA. At the time, I was working for a company that paid for FC for its execs (does such exist anymore?) and remember looking to the back, being astounded at the length of the cabin. and making a note never to go back there (and now we have Song).
EA gave out caps and medals in the jetway as we boarded in order to commemorate the event and I still have the medal.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 5:10 pm

I was on the inaugural Ryanair flight from STN to LBC on 1 June 2000.

Ryanair didn't do anything special at all (which is pretty typical of Ryanair), but there was a lot of excitement at Lubeck Airport for which this was the first scheduled flight in two decades. The Mayor and Airport Manager were on the tarmac, disembarking passengers were given little chocolate marzipan hearts (marzipan was allegedly invented in Lubeck!), and there was a party atmosphere in the terminal building - balloons, brass band, the lot.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 5:19 pm

I was taking a flight from a neighboring gate during the inaugural flight of Northwest Detroit-Tokyo and KLM Detroit-Amsterdam.

The KLM flight hired a band who played in the gate area. The Northwest flight had some bigwigs who gave short speeches. I don't know what went on inside the plane.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Although it wasn't THE inaugural flight, I was on one of the early AA JFK-ORY flights in 1989, when AA first introducted its European service. After an aborted take off, the flight was cancelled due to a mechanical problem. Every single passenger on a nearly full 767 was put up in a nearby hotel, put on a TW flight the next day, and given a $700 AA credit.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 5:46 pm

I was on the inaugural Cathay Pacific flight from Hong Kong to Bombay, and each passenger got a beautiful ball-point pen and a certificate, suitable for framing.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
If you're on any inaugural flights between Hawai'i and the Mainland, there will most likely be a blessing by a Hawaiian priest, hula dancers and, of course, the fire engines with their water cannons waiting to greet the plane as it heads to the jetway.

I doubt JetBlue will do such in Boston... but again, great incentive to get on an inaugural flight by the major five to Hawai'i

aloha
Old Jan 5, 2004, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
I was on the inaugural AA DFW - ZRH flight. There was music, TV coverage, free chocolate, a handshake with someone or other and, best of all, a brand spanking new 777.

Unfortunately for me, since I do that route several times a year, the 777's were not long for that run ...

[This message has been edited by Teacher49 (edited Jan 05, 2004).]
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:21 pm

I work for Alaska. Every new flight we have
you get a special gift, also on the the first flight from that city.
Special food and drinks served.
Usually someone from the company and that city speaks.
They have food at the gate and the fire trucks spray the arrival flight
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:54 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
In the palmy old days when they were in full
flower of expansion, UA started nonstop BOS-LHR
service; I was on the inaugural of 998 and the
second or third flight of 999.

Let's see. Cake in the RCC; a special London
Lounge that became an interim RCC during the
construction of the new one (open bar; cheese
board and truffled pate (mediocre)); a harpist
(who had to move her harp from check-in area to
gate area); deli trays at the gate area;
a little basket containing a commemorative
phonecard and chocolates for Y and a luggage
tag for C (don't know about F). Games for the
Y cabin during the flight (the prizes were
amenity kits, free booze, and the like. My trip
report said "I think they should have given away
upgrades, as coach was full and business was
half empty."). A fairly festive atmosphere, though. On landing we got free passes for
the Heathrow Express.

On the way back, of course it wasn't the
inaugural, so there wasn't any party mood,
but I was approached by the purser, Robert
Cook, with the following words: "Mr. violist,
I have bad news for you - we need your seat.
We have to put you in an aisle seat. In first
class."

So I guess I was in my own party mood anyhow.
There were 2 revs and 1 nonrev, as I recall,
up front.

Contrast the inaugural of UA821, the first
nonstop from JFK-HKG. There were speeches,
boring, food, boring, fashion show, boring,
Chinese musicians, whiny and boring. We were
given these Kenneth Cole totes containing a
t-shirt, a UA keyring, and a Kenneth Cole
instant shoeshine kit, "with the $4.50 price
tag still on it," if my trip report reads true. This was in early 2001, when United
was in the throes of its "do less with more"
phase. Both on the ground and in the air
people were much glummer than at the BOS-LHR
inaugural two years earlier. The flight itself
was anticlimactic; we didn't go over the pole,
because of solar radiations; the food was
pretty poor; and the service was abysmal.
I asked an FA in C whether tfung was aboard,
and she said she didn't have a manifest. I
should have walked up to F, but this seemed
to be seriously discouraged. I guess I was in
a funky mood because my upstairs window had
suddenly and miraculously turned into a row 7
one, but as we all know, United giveth and
United taketh away.

Upon landing, we were given t-shirts; mine
of course was the wrong size, which started
an amusing exchange on TOBB. I think it was
TOBB; maybe it was this one.

Old Jan 7, 2004, 12:01 am

I was on the first AA nonstop SJC-IAD a few years ago (hmm, that didn't last long, did it..)

For some reason, AA decided that the *return* trip (IAD-SJC) should be celebrated as the "inaugural" trip, even though our flight was the first to make the nonstop run between the two cities. So the IAD-SJC passengers had a nice little party going on in the boarding lounge when we arrived from SJC. We, on the other hand, got no special treatment whatsoever. (Ahh, the unfairness of it all!!!)

Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:24 pm

During the early 90s I flew on Southwest's inaugural flight out of SNA. I made an extra effort to arrive at the airport early and was justly rewarded with plastic boarding card Numero Uno. Well deserved, IMHO. Prior to boarding, several of us were interviewed and photographed by the local press. Several press and a few WN VIPs accompanied us on that flight. Herb (Kelleher) was not aboard or in attendance that morning.

The following morning I was quoted accurately and read my very generous praise of Southwest in the Orange County Register. As I recall, inaugural inflight photographs (of others) were used for the article instead of the ones taken at the gate area. I'll have to dig into my archives to be certain. No autographs please!

The gate area was decorated and festive. Banners, balloons, streamers, etc. There were a few local politicians to assist with the ribbon cutting ceremony I believe.

No Dom, shrimp or caviar were served. Southwest here!

I enjoyed the one hour flight and would do it again if I had the opportunity.

Happy Travels.

------------------
The more you care for a person, the less the smoke bothers you.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I took CO's inaugural to GVA last year. It was fun.

At EWR there was a big reception with food, champagne etc., with some speeches (the champagne dulled these) and a ribbon cutting. On boarding, we were given small boxes of Lindt truffles, and our A/C was clearly allowed to cut the line for deicing (wx was terrible).

At GVA we were greeted by balloons and given small gifts (GVA/CO umbrellas, postcards).

Nothing special inflight, which was a touch disappointing.

Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I transitted NRT a few hours after the inauguration of the new UA Red Carpet Club.

There was a huge barrel of premium sake still 2/3 full, and there were nice square wooden boxes (cups) to drink it with.

Pretty good stuff.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 2:35 am

Programs: BA
Living next to London City airport and being a flyer myself, I make a point when I can of listening to the radio exchanges between crews and controllers of inaugural flights, because there is often some amusing banter between them.

Slightly sadder is listening to the last flight of a carrier going out, as the controllers wish good luck to the crews for their future careers as they disappear into the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.