Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Attendant Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2003, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Flight Attendant Hotels

I'd be interested in hearing what hotels in various major cities world wide the big airlines book for their crews.

From my experience the hotels that are full of flight crews are general good value.

What airlines put their crews up in the most lavish hotels? Which airlines are noted for being cheap in terms of crew accommodation? Is it basically true that if airline crews stay at a certain hotel in a certain city you can be sure its a good hotel?
Old Dec 29, 2003, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
I frequently see Continental & America West staff at the Four Points Sheraton at LAX. Having stayed there a few times I can recommend it as a resonably priced if basic hotel.

Old Dec 29, 2003, 8:45 pm

I've seen international crews gathering in the lobbies of the Millennium Gloucester in London and the Avillion in Sydney.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 8:50 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I've picked up several crew members at their hotels to go do things and can't say that I was impressed with the accommodations. I also get the UA ALPA magazine ... lots of complaints in there about the hotels they get put up in. It's certainly not how I'd chose where to stay.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Back in the late '80s/early 90s, CO used the Holiday Inn Jetport (this hotel has been refurbished and reflagged as the Wyndham.

In addition to the assigned crews on working trips , a number of FAs used to keep rooms as "crash pads" - the daily rate that was extended back then for "non-official" travel was low enough to make this economically feasible (four crew people wouls share a double room, with the idea that on most days, the majority of them were away working.

As a non-flying employee, I used to get the same rate ($30) - it was so cheap we'd stay out in EWR and take NJ Transit or Olympia busses into Manhattan (no train back then)

Old Dec 30, 2003, 3:14 am

Emirates crew stay at Emirates towers in DXB and also get 50% discount at the bar in the night club.

Known as " tampon towers " by the expats there

Nigel

Old Dec 30, 2003, 12:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bluewatersail:
From my experience the hotels that are full of flight crews are general good value.</font>
Most hotels where I have seen international crews were to some degree:
- large
- often not centrally situated
- not doing particularly well in terms of occupancy rates (as witnessed by room rates discounted more than competitors)
- catering to tour groups
- usually not the most trendy/hip/fashionable in town

All of the above seem to be linked in some way...

As airline crews are entitled to their privacy, I'll just say I have seen them, some of them discreet, others less so, in most of the chains which have a forum on FT.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I've seen BA and VS crew staying at the Wyndham City Centre (1143 NH Avenue) in Washington DC
Old Dec 30, 2003, 2:50 pm
Suspended

I saw the crew from a 3rd world airline pitching a bedwin style tent on the grass outside Liverpool International last week. The problem is that whilst they were all sleeping some local scally stole all the tent pegs and the crew were last seen flying over Belfast at 250 feet heading toward the Atlantic ocean
Old Dec 30, 2003, 3:37 pm

Programs: Air France FP. A rave ato'a ia'u te manureva. Haere maru!
Air France FA's stay at the Crowne Plaza on Sutter and Powell in San Francisco, and oddly enough in Newport Beach when they layover in LAX.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 8:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Skymiles Plat, United Premier Exec
The contracts that airlines sign with hotels are based primarliy on the rates they receive in the cities they fly to, which are contracted on an individual basis. During the last couple of years hotel occupancies have, in general, been much lower than in past years. This has allowed flight crews to stay at better hotels than the airlines could typically afford. While airlines have always looked at the best value for their dollar, this pricepoint is substantially lower than any other rates offered by hotels to paying guests (even through third party websites) and I would never use it as criteria for hotel selection.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:19 pm

I saw crews from lots of airlines--but notably not Northwest--at the DoubleTree near the Detroit airport. The shuttle driver told me that the management had turned down the Northwest contract a few years ago and now very much regretted it.

I wouldn't pay $119 to stay at this hotel--apparently the typical rate--it wasn't nearly that nice. I got it for $59 as a "distressed passenger," which is about what it was worth.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 12:42 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I've seen JetBlue attendants coming out of the Holiday Inn Express at FLL.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH uses the Sheraton Suites in Weehawken NJ. There are so many, I wonder if they all come from Newark.

The Sheraton Airport in MUC is used by a lot of airlines. The morning breakfast frequently has over half a dozen different uniforms lined up.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I think I was flying ATA or something and I asked the lady where they were staying in SF (I was like, 15 at the time) and I remember her saying like the downtown Sheraton. I asked why there and not an airport hotel and she said that it had to do with a union thing since they were on the longer stopover, like the 2-day thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.