Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Dubai & Israeli Passport Stamps. Update?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai & Israeli Passport Stamps. Update?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2001, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
stimpy, when I've looked into it for a few countries that require a copy of the passport, and do not specifically state something like 'data pages only,' they actually required the entire passport, covers included. However, for practical reasons (I didn't want to photocopy over 200 pages) most will still accept just the identifying info. FWIW, in Thailand the requirement is for each page to be stamped 'True, Original Copy' and hand signed! Fortunately they are quite lenient on that one.

I've also been to Israel and asked for a stamp on a loose piece of paper which either they (or I) would supply. One time that did not work. I subsequently applied for a UAE visa and was rejected due to the stamp. That necessitated my second passport.

My Australia business visa does not specifically require that the passport must remain valid. It simply states 'GRANTED XXXX, MUST NOT ARRIVE AFTER YYYY. MULTIPLE TRAVEL. HOLDER(S) PERMITTED TO REMAIN IN AUSTRALIA FOR 03 MONTHS FROM DATE OF EACH ARRIVAL.' where YYYY is the date of expiration of the passport. The overall length of the visa is about 8 years. Presumably there are other Australian regulations which require that the passport used for entry has a minimum remaining validity.
Old Dec 25, 2003, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Since the last post in this thread over two years ago does anyone have any more recent experience with entry into the UAE or know if the UAE restrictions on entry with an Israel entry stamp have been eased?

My prior visit to Dubai was last year & prior to getting my passport stamped with an Israeli entry stamp

I'm planning a visit in February to Dubai in the UAE & Doha in Qatar and want to avoid the hassle of getting a temporary two year passpost just for this trip. My current passport has too many valid long term & valid & expensive visas and so I don't want to replace it.

[This message has been edited by ROW2Aisle (edited Dec 25, 2003).]
Old Dec 25, 2003, 3:38 pm

I recently entered Dubai via Hong Kong. I have 21 pages of stamps, and room for one more.

First of all, Americans do not need to get a Visa if there as a tourist.

Secondly, the immigration agent simply flipped through my passport at Dubai. Maybe being a female blonde might have made a difference?
Old Dec 25, 2003, 8:09 pm

At a border crossing in Morocco earlier this year, the immigration officer looked through every page of the passport and said he was looking for "certain foreign stamps". I don't know how this compares to the official regulations regarding Israeli stamps.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 1:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Jetlink Shuttle, I don't know what stamps the Moroccan official was looking for, but they were not Israeli.

Morocco, along with Egypt and Jordan, not only allows entry with Israeli stamps in your passport but also allows entry using an Israeli passport.

I am not certain which Arab countries will allow entry with an Israeli stamp in your passport, but Syria not only bans it but refuses you entry if you have ANYTHING written in Hebrew with you.

A few years ago I was doing my annual reserve duty at the Israeli-Syrian border crossing (for UN personnel). I noticed that my Syrian counterpart on the other side of the border kept trying to get a cigarette from the UN people who were crossing.

Knowing what it can be like being stuck on a tour of duty when you run out of smokes, and having an extra package of Israeli cigarettes with me, I asked a UN officer making the crossing to give it to the Syrian.

A few minutes later, the officer returned the smokes, telling me that the Syrian looked VERY frightened when he gave them to him. Apparently the Hebrew writing on the package made them very dangerous material to have in the country.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 2:22 am

Malaysia is one country that CAN be surprisingly strict about having no Israeli stamps in the passport. I spent 10 minutes at the Johor Bahru checkpoint earlier this year as an officer painstakingly went through the 300+ stamps in my multiple passport booklets looking for anything in Hebrew.

Conversely, my mom (who visits Israel at least 1-2 times every year) had absolutely no problems at Penang even with the stamps.

Like most immigration issues, it probably depends on the mood and attitude of the officer at the counter.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Passport control is really wierd in Johor Bahru... either really lax or really strict, nothing inbetween.

to the question at hand, this happens a lot with ME-travelers and oil workers. My best friend was working with some palestinian refugees in Syria but had been to Israel on several occasions and he had a second passport issued so it would be clean of Israel stamps. My guess is that they´re really used to this.

I have no idea what the morrocans were looking for either, but they have full diplomatic relations with Israel, so that´s not it.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was in the U.A.E. a few days ago on business. No more visas for U.S. and pretty much all western European nations. There are no landing cards so they don't know if you are on business or holiday unless they ask. They didn't flip through my whole passport so I could have had an Israeli stamp and they wouldn't have noticed.

But I don't have a definitive answer for you except that it's always advisable to avoid getting stamped in Israel. Even if the U.A.E. is liberal in this respect, other ME countries are not.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:39 am

As stated above, you do not have to turn in your regular 10 year passport to get a second passport to travel to Israel or Arab countries. There is absolutely no need to claim about "lost passport" etc.

The State department will issue you a second passport if you demonstrate the "need" for it. If it is work related, it will expect a letter on the official letterhead from some one in a supervisory position stating that you need to do this for work reasons.

Usually the second passport is issued for 2 years only. You can extend the validity every 2 years for no charge. Every time you renew, you have to demonstrate the continuing "need".

Depending on your personal situation, you may use the 2 year passport for travel to Israel or Arab countries and keep the stamps isolated. It will depnd on your personal situation and travel norms.

As far as UAE is concerned, they do not require a visa of US citizens for 60 days. However, it is still the official policy( state on their web site ) to deny entry to any one with Israeli stamps on their passport. On the other hand, there are several prominent Jewish Americans who have traveled to UAE ( presumably on the same passport with Israeli stamps) with no problems.

I do not know how UAE passport control will handle Israeli stamps for average US Citizens like you and me. I would prefer not to take a chance by calling the UAE embassy in DC. If they claim official policy, you would be well advised to obtain the secondary passport.

[This message has been edited by MSP2000 (edited Dec 26, 2003).]
Old Dec 29, 2003, 12:21 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I would say that if it is indeed possible to get a second passport that would certainly be your safest bet. The UAE is very relaxed and I can't see them caring, as mentioned they don't flip through passports to check for Israeli stamps so if they found your stamp it would be against the odds in the first place.

But I am traveling to Dubai this week (w/o an Isralei stamp) and I will see what I can find out, and I will try to get something in writing-don't think it will be easy-but I will try.

Old Dec 29, 2003, 2:45 am

Having 300 stamps in your passport may well earn you a second glance, but unlike some countries mentioned earlier, Malaysia will not actually deny entry just for having Israeli stamps. If anything, they've seemed quite happy to place their own stamps on the same page...!
Old Dec 29, 2003, 5:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
Malaysia is one country that CAN be surprisingly strict about having no Israeli stamps in the passport. I spent 10 minutes at the Johor Bahru checkpoint earlier this year as an officer painstakingly went through the 300+ stamps in my multiple passport booklets looking for anything in Hebrew.

Conversely, my mom (who visits Israel at least 1-2 times every year) had absolutely no problems at Penang even with the stamps.
</font>

They may have been looking for a Colombia stamp. A friend of mine who like me has hundreds of stamps on his US passport gets questioned often about his reasons for visiting Colombia. He used to be questioned even in Western Europe if they spotted the Colombia stamp. So it may be possible that in Malaysia they were looking for the Colombia stamp. They have zero tolerence for drug trafficing.

My ultra fat US passport with hundreds of stamps has resulted in occasional detailed examination even in Singapore where they too don't tolerate hanky panky stuff. At times I've gone through Singapore Immigration without as much as a glance.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 12:59 pm

Programs: United
I went through immigration from Singapore to Johor Bahru in September and they were very lax. I have 2 Israeli stamps in my passport. I was with my brother who I don't think has any Israeli stamps in his passport. But regardless, they didn't notice mine and they didn't look very hard.

By the way, Johor Bahru was really boring and we only stayed for about 1 1/2 hours.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ROW2Aisle:

They may have been looking for a Colombia stamp. A friend of mine who like me has hundreds of stamps on his US passport gets questioned often about his reasons for visiting Colombia. He used to be questioned even in Western Europe if they spotted the Colombia stamp. So it may be possible that in Malaysia they were looking for the Colombia stamp. They have zero tolerence for drug trafficing.

My ultra fat US passport with hundreds of stamps has resulted in occasional detailed examination even in Singapore where they too don't tolerate hanky panky stuff. At times I've gone through Singapore Immigration without as much as a glance.
</font>
What? I had six Colombia stamps in my previous UK passport when I was under contract with a UK based NGO. I had NEVER ONCE been stopped ANYWHERE in the world for this. I still have one in my current UK passport and I've NOT once been questioned about it. I'm sure if you look like the "drug mule" type you MAY get a grilling.

The biggest grilling I get is why I have over 100 US entry stamps...

[This message has been edited by NickP 1K (edited Dec 30, 2003).]
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver, UA Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Pref Biz
What about the converse?

I am in the opposite situation. I have an Omani stamp in my passport (and maybe a Dubai one in October), and I was invited to a wedding in Israel. I have heard reports of tourists with Arab stamps being interrogated and even strip-searched, even after presenting proof of being on Bible tours or legitimate leisure travel. Can anyone corroborate or refute this? I would much appreciate it as I would really like to attend my friend's wedding but would like to avoid hassles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.