Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Where to stay in Virginia Beach/Norfolk while in Norfolk on Business?
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
i've spent tens of weeks in this area on business. i'm usually limited to govt. rate on hotel rooms. so here are my thoughts:

Sheraton Norfolk: average rooms, bad food, good people
Marriott Courtyard (Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach: great rooms (all face the ocean), good food, good people.
Sheraton VA Beach: good people, bad rooms, average food
Marriott Courtyard VA Beach (on Newtown Road) - only, if the other stuff is sold out.
Marriott Courtyard Norfolk: clean rooms, but parking is a pain, and the staff leaves much to be desired.

For me these days, I've been staying at the Sheraton in Norfolk. I've switched to the SPG program and love it. If you're a Hilton type person, there's a Hilton at the Norfolk airport which is pretty good (and despite the name it is fairly convenient).
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
A lot depends on where you're working/visiting while there. Are you planning to physically be at VA Beach or ???

But even more important than where to stay is that -

I-64 West = North
I-64 East = South

When you leave ORF, failure to catch this sublte interstate nomenclature will definitely lead you on a city-wide tour.

GMF
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:44 am
Original Poster

business in Norfolk, want to stay at the beach
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goldmedallionflyer:
A lot depends on where you're working/visiting while there. Are you planning to physically be at VA Beach or ???

But even more important than where to stay is that -

I-64 West = North
I-64 East = South

When you leave ORF, failure to catch this sublte interstate nomenclature will definitely lead you on a city-wide tour.

GMF
</font>
Old Dec 23, 2003, 2:28 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Are you SURE???

Have you checked the bridge at rush hour

Norfork to VA Beach will take over an hour in rush hour traffic- just an FYI
Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
And don't forget that most of the beach businesses are closed down for the season. It's a pretty dead place during the off season.

I was digging through my previous initeraries to see what was worth recommending to you ... the more I reviewed these, the more convinced I became that I have nothing to recommend out that way. There is a Sheraton on the beach, but I have not stayed there before.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Ocean Front and 36th Street
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23451
Phone (757) 425-9000 Fax (757) 428-5352
</font>
There is also great property on the harbor in Norfolk, and it's a reasonable drive along the coast to VA beach when you want to visit a beachside ghost town in the winter.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
777 Waterside Drive
Norfolk, Virginia 23510
Phone (757) 622-6664 Fax (757) 625-8271
</font>
If I had to choose between these two for a stay between Nov - April, the Norfolk Waterside would definitely be they way to go.

GMF
Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:46 am

Programs: DL, US
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jan_az:
Are you SURE???

Have you checked the bridge at rush hour

Norfork to VA Beach will take over an hour in rush hour traffic- just an FYI
</font>

You don't have to cross any bridges to get from Norfolk to Va Beach. Now if you had to cross the Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel, then traffic would be a mess.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
yeah, it all depends on your preference.
i had long assignment last winter where I stayed every weekend from early January till late March at the marriott courtyard on the beach. i loved it. i watched the sunrise every morning. the place was very quiet and peaceful and i didn't mind the commute.
however, now that i've "been there, done that". i stay primarily at the Sheraton Waterside as was recommended above by the other poster. the SPG program is far better and the location is great. There's many good restaurants to walk to and a large Mall which isn't too far away. You can walk there easily in good weather.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
stayed at the Turtle Cay on 600 Atlantic Avenue, VA Beach on Saturday. Very nice suites ($500/night) although the staff are pretty surly
Old Dec 23, 2003, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
just spend a week in the area (over thanksgiving). stayed in downtown Norfolk, at the Sheraton Waterside, at a priceline rate of $42/night. nice location, and convenient to the interstate(s).
Old Dec 24, 2003, 1:14 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I've spent the past four months in Hampton, Newport News, and Portsmouth (all around that area and part of the region -- Tidewater) and currently stay at the Renaissance Portsmouth. I've stayed at both Sheraton's and while the one in Norfolk has a good location I thought the rooms had very thin walls -- I didn't think my neighbors were unreasonably loud but I could hear them like they were in my room. The one in Virginia Beach is fine -- it's just old and somewhat run down.

The beach is fun to stay at for a few nights, but traffic, even w/o bridges and tunnels (with them, it's impossible) makes me usually want to stay close to work. I know many folks stay in 'Virginia Beach' but not the beach per se -- the city of Virginia Beach is humongous .. there's a new Hilton Garden Inn that I hear is nice.

enjoy
Old Dec 24, 2003, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, MR Gold, US Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SW same as everyone else!
Norfolk Marriott is nice. A bit pricey, though. Its right downtown and only 2 blocks from the waterfront. There is a great restaurant across the street from the destroyer (?) on the waterfront. I can't remember the name, but I ate there a month ago and it was very good! Excellent foie gras and terrific wine list and waitstaff!
Old Dec 25, 2003, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hershmeister:
Norfolk Marriott is nice. A bit pricey, though. Its right downtown and only 2 blocks from the waterfront. There is a great restaurant across the street from the destroyer (?) on the waterfront. I can't remember the name, but I ate there a month ago and it was very good! Excellent foie gras and terrific wine list and waitstaff!</font>
Todd Jurich's Bistro - IMHO one of the better places in the area and as you pointed out, the wine list is great.

On the hotel question - the beach is depressing this time of year unless you like walking/running in the morning. Downtown Norfolk is a much better location for after hours activities. The Granby street eateries are a delight with a wide variety of foods (try Bodega for a "tapas" style dinner) and in 5 minutes you can be at Ghent with it's own unique charms.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 9:04 pm

Sheraton Virginia Beach - Good news, The Sheraton Oceanfront is under a multi-million dollar renovation. They say it will be done by April 1st and it is the only starwood hotel in Va Beach
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
runningshoes - Is Doumar's still in business? I was working with a client a few years ago and went in for an Egg-o-Doumar breakfast almost every morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.