Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using concierge at a hotel...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Using concierge at a hotel...

i've never understood how to do it. i mean, i've asked them for restaurant recommendations and to secure tickets for stuff for me... but do you pay them?? do you tip them?? how (i.e. just walk up and hand them a $20? ask that it be added to your bill??) or is it just a servie the hotel provides?

for example, i'm staying at the hyatt berlin and called ahead to have the concierge secure some symphony tickets for us.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:05 pm

I usually tip when I ask a concierge to do something -- make a reservation, purchase tickets, etc.

If I'm just asking for information, I usually don't unless they've been unusally helpful.

I have no idea if this is standard or not...
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:08 pm

Yes, you tip. Most definitely.

Cash, the harder the request, the bigger the tip, for your request a 20 Euro note should be about right, certainly not less.

This topic has come up before, a search should yield further info.

Enjoy your trip to Berlin, a great city.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:28 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
Yes, you tip. Most definitely.

Cash, the harder the request, the bigger the tip, for your request a 20 Euro note should be about right, certainly not less.

This topic has come up before, a search should yield further info.

Enjoy your trip to Berlin, a great city.
</font>
20 Euros seems like quite a bit to me for a rather simple service, but I guess it really depends on the hotel and the circumstances.

Oh, and Bayern München will most definitely win the title again .

Old Dec 22, 2003, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

so u just walk up and hand them a 20? heh... seems kinda out of place in a 5-star hotel, but okay.

------------------
Old Dec 22, 2003, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Actually, whatever amount you feel like is going to be gratefully accepted. I've never had a concierge get mad at me because I tipped too little, or even nothing at all.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AJetSetter:
so u just walk up and hand them a 20? heh... seems kinda out of place in a 5-star hotel, but okay.

</font>
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I won't buy tickets for sold out games through a concierge (anymore)- but I might still use them for a last minute reservation at a (otherwise sold-out) top Restaurant (they have often been successfull, knwoing each-other locally).

Sometimes, I might even not be a hotel-guest, but just go to the concierge, tell him my reservation request, tip him SFr 20 (in Switzerland), $20 (US) beforehand, and tell him that I am (with my friends) sipping a side-car at the hotel's bar waiting for his confirmation.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA
Concierges were the original travel agents (in Britain they were called head doormen). And they work on the same commission basis from places they book you into, or an equivalent if you pay your own bill, which is why they always go back to the same suppliers every time. So do not worry that they are not already being paid for their services.

While tipping for assistance over the norm is reasonable, the habit of tipping (or overtipping) them universally is something that has come across the Atlantic in recent times. Fortunately the habit of following this up with ramming the amount you tipped down everybody's throats when you return from your travels with your stories has not made it into European society. Yet!
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Tipping a concierge is one of the most difficult task. There are concierges and concierges. If one greets you by name, then you really got one. During your stay you might need his advice for a load of different tasks, cabs, directions etc. For all this don't tip until you leave and you are O.K. with 10 or 20 Euros, depending on the number of small infos you got from him.

Don't give anything for restaurant reservations until you come back. If it was exactly what you wanted and come back very satisfied, then give him a good tip.

For complicated things like an almost impossible plane reservation or hard to get tickets or the hiring of a jet in the middle of the night, tip accordingly high because in order to satisfy your needs he might have to use all the connections he has painfully acquired over years of work.

This is valid for Europe. In the USA the concierge is just a title but they rarely are up to notch except at places like the Pierre in NYC. Don't tip for theater tickets in NYC. The so called hard to get tickets are usually bought by professionals just for the purpose of resell at a big premium. Concierges make a thriving business out of it.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rudi writes:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Sometimes, I might even not be a hotel-guest, but just go to the concierge, tell him my reservation request, tip him SFr 20 (in Switzerland), $20 (US) beforehand, and tell him that I am (with my friends) sipping a side-car at the hotel's bar waiting for his confirmation.</font>
I seem to remember just such an advantageous utilization of a good hotel Concierge, a few years ago with this particular FlyerTalker! I recorded the general events as follows:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">On the same bluff (with the same view) is the 5-star Bellevue Palace Bern Hotel, another member of the “Leading Hotels Of The World.” We head out to the veranda and order a couple of Sidecars and light up a couple of Habanos. It’s a wonderful sunny day and the view of Bern from here is fantastic. The perfect spot to relax and digest all that wonderful food from lunch. Did someone mention food? Rudi says lets go have dinner. Dinner? Yikes! I had enough for lunch to sink a battle cruiser!

We head to the Concierge and Rudi inquires as to a good Italian restaurant in town. The Concierge makes a quick phone call and we’re on a way to the Restaurant Luce a few blocks away. Things are a little blurry at this point. You might say we’ve been drinking and continue to do so. Rudi orders some special Italian wine which he thinks I will hate, but I love it. I have a roast chicken in a garlic sauce of some sort I think. I haven’t a clue what Rudi had. I look up and say to Rudi “That guy over there looks just like Alfredo Smaldini who we met at the Circus in Zürich.” It was! He comes over to the table to greet us and chat for a few minutes. A very nice and funny guy. Need I mention that Rudi insists on dessert? I must have been a hit with the staff as Rudi looks a little disappointed when he compares the size of my portion with his.</font>
I made no mention of the advance tip that Rudi gave to the hotel's Concierge in that report, but that's indeed what got us the table. And a very desirable table at that! From:

My Month In Switzerland Trip Report.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 2:18 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
some perfect (meeting highest european concierge standards) concierge experiences in the USA (covers trips of my last 10 years, service/concierge qualities may have changed since then): same-day Beach Blanket Babylon tickets
* San Francisco: Stanford Court (Renaissance, on Nob Hill)
* San Francisco: Mandarin (at the entrance to China town): he even arranged pick-up of my towed-away rental-car, when I was not a hotel guest, just sipping a side-car there
* Colorado Springs: the Broadmoor: he arranged instantly a one-hour tennis-session with Dennis Ralston himself (the tennis-staff would not risk a try before).
* the Pierre, New York: I had breakfast with some FlyerTalk friends (Catman, NJDavid) there, was not a hotel guest, he arranged reasonable priced tickets for the same-day, sold-out, Yankee game, and also arranged umbrellas (it was heavily raining when we left)
* Brown Palace, Denver: once he got me 2 tickets for a same night, sold-out, Avalanche.game (I had to see 'our' swiss goal-keeper Aebischer that night) and also, some years ago, he arranged reasonably priced (+20% above imprinted price) tickets for the Broncos at MileHigh stadium (the year they went to the SuperBowl in San Diego). He also gave the great tip for a Jazz night at the El Chapultepec (have been there again and again)
* the Lodge at Pebble Beach: he arranged a men's tennis-double that included the 'father of Charlie Brown' (Schultz) playing as my partner for the next day (after having noticed my tennis-standard the day before from their prof (I have some fun at resorts, taking a tennis-lesson, starting to play with the pro with my left-hand, later asking him if he would mind to play of a drink, then changing my racket-hand (right) ...
* the Lodge at Vail (he arranged a whole day deep powder ski-trip and guide at the back-bowles, when the ski-school people wouldn't serve us in high season)
* Biltmore, Los Angels (arranged 2 same-day football tickets for UCLA-USC game)
* Auberge du Soleil, Napa Valley (arranged for Wolfram and I, a table for, otherwise sold-out for months), Keller's Franch Laundry for the next evening.
* Château Whistler, Canada: taking care of my 'lost' luggage (UA flights)
* Sutton Place, Vancouver, Canada: arranging dinner at the Le Gavroche and making sure, that they had 2 pieces of Lilli's cake left as a desert for us ... (Lilli is a now 80 year old lady, living on top of the tiny Le Gavroche building)
* Halekulani, Honolulu, HI: for our PiP party they arranged 'everything' to perfection.

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited Dec 23, 2003).]
Old Dec 23, 2003, 9:02 am

Programs: UA *G
Conceirge Services are free at hotels.
Speaking of that, 20 Euros..That's a little too much for just some restaraunt advice, not?
And you seem fairly new, Welcome to FT!
-JBLU.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Often 5 star hotels have some of the best concierges in the industry. If a concierge did a service for me (secured hard-to-get tickets, made a day's travel itinerary) on the day I check out, I go to their desk to thank him/her for making my stay a wonderful one. As we shake hands, I give him/her the tip. These professionals deserve every bit of it.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:50 am

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
(I have some fun at resorts, taking a tennis-lesson, starting to play with the pro with my left-hand, later asking him if he would mind to play of a drink, then changing my racket-hand (right) ...
</font>
Yes, but for full effect this has to be said while affecting a bad spanish accent :-)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
I admit it, you are better than I am.

Then why are you smiling?

Because I know something you do not.

Whats that?

I am not left handed!
</font>
Old Dec 25, 2003, 1:07 pm

I've found that the easiest way to tip a concierge for service beyond a simple phone call is to write a short thank you note, either on a greeting card (don't ask the concierge for one. eek! the circularity!!!!) or on the hotel stationery in your room. Kind words with a neatly folded bill go a long way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.