Airport Wireless Access Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2003, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Airport Wireless Access Newbie Questions

I've got a VAIO laptop that I drag with me on my frequent trips and have heard about many taking advantage of wireless internet access at airports such as MSP.

However, never having used any wireless connection and being mixed up between a wireless card and WIFI, I'm not sure what I need to access those airport connections.

Any wireless experts out there willing to give a hand?

Thanks for all your help! Aloha
Old Dec 21, 2003, 9:47 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
slippahs, if you're somewhere where there is wireless access you simply open your browser and it'll redirect to a login page. If it's a commercial service you'll find the option for various connect/fee options. If you're lucky enough to be in range of a free wireless setup then your browser should simply work as normal; surf away. If you want to try it out without a commitment, T-mobile (many/most Red Carpet Clubs -- or sitting outside them) used to have a one-day freebie pass. I have a monthly t-mobile wireless account since virtually every Starbucks in northern California is a t-mobile wireless access point. I think there is also a link on UA's pages somewhere for miles if you choose to do this. Here are t-mobile's access spots in Hawaii:
Hawaii
Airports in this area
City Property Name

Honolulu HNL Delta Air Lines Crown Room Club
HNL United Airlines Red Carpet Club
Borders Book Stores in this area
City Property Name

Hilo Borders Maka'ala Street

Honolulu Borders Ala Moana Blvd

Kahului, Maui Borders Dairy Rd.

Kailua-Kona Borders Henry Street

Waipahu Borders Lumiaina Street

Others can chime in with more technical info, or other provider possibilities.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Does your VAIO have internal WiFi or are you using a PCMCIA card? If internal, there is a switch you must turn on. If you are running Windows XP, it should automatically run you through the setup if it sees a wireless access point.

Lastly, you should ask these types of questions in the Travel Technology forum!
Old Dec 26, 2003, 6:28 pm

There are tons of great links and helpful hints related to this topic if you click on the "search" button in the FlyerTalk Forum and enter a relevant keyword. For example you can enter "wi-fi" searching through the travel forum and you'll get about 10 threads. Its easy and valuable to search for related discussions.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mobylekyle:
There are tons of great links and helpful hints related to this topic if you click on the "search" button in the FlyerTalk Forum and enter a relevant keyword. For example you can enter "wi-fi" searching through the travel forum and you'll get about 10 threads. Its easy and valuable to search for related discussions.</font>
Thanks, mobylekyle, I think I know how to use the search feature of this board

In any case, moderators could you please close this thread as it has been opened in Travel Techonology by the request of an anonymous FTer.

Aloha

[This message has been edited by slippahs (edited Dec 26, 2003).]
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this belongs in Travel Technology, so let's continue the discussion there please.

--richard, moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.