Wiki Posts
Search

Peninsula Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2003, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Peninsula Hong Kong

Hi

I am going to stay at the Peninsula in February. Expedia have some good rates. US$250 for a Superior Room and US$300 for Deluxe.

Looking at the Peninsula's website it seems these rooms are the same size with the same amenities, and both 'appear' to be in the old building.

Can anyone please tell me the difference between them. That is, what do I get for the extra US$50?

Many Thanks,
MD
Old Dec 21, 2003, 5:06 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
deluxe = harbour side HongKong skyline.

I stayed twice at the next block YMCA and did use the Peninsula facilities for 4pm tea-time, the wold-famous top-level toilettes ... and, when home-sick, the swiss St.Moritz Restaurant (first floor) for a St.Galler Bratwurst and Roesti (roasted potatoes) ...
Old Dec 21, 2003, 8:40 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You are better off to take the cheaper room and spend the $50 in Felix (rooftop bar/restaurant) or in the spa (both have better views than the "Deluxe" room will have). The tower was built because the views from the old building were blocked by the museum built across the street (one of the nicest renovations/addition to an old building ever done ... this really is the best hotel in the world).
Old Dec 21, 2003, 3:41 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
My partner and I walked by this hotel when we were in Hong Kong in October. Is it really worth that a night? We got the Renaissance across the street for $50 a night.

What makes this hotel worth that type of difference?

Really curious.

Thanks

WIlliam
Old Dec 21, 2003, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Are the Deluxe rooms in the Tower?

If I am reading this correctly, it seems:

Both the superior and deluxe room are in the main building. The Deluxe rooms face the harbour, whereas the Superior rooms face the back of Kowloon. Is that an accurate assessment?

I called the Peninsula and put the question to the front desk but did not receive a satisfactory answer. I was more or less told that they only have a handful of "superiors", and that is about as much as I could get out of them... He did mention they were smaller, but that is contradictory to what is on the website.

In the meantime, I have booked a Deluxe room. However, I may change it to Superior based on number_6's response.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 5:14 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wharvey:
What makes this hotel worth that type of difference?</font>
An excellent question, and perhaps best answered with another question: "do you care whether the wallpaper on the wall is silk?". For what you get, the Pen is a bargain (but you really need to appreciate the finer things in life to get good value from this hotel). Most luxury items are wasteful and mainly conspicuous consumption, the Pen shows that luxury does not have to be that way! A stay there makes you aware of how attention to detail works in a hotel (and how poorly most other hotels execute).
Old Dec 21, 2003, 6:06 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
I've stayed with my family at The "Salisbury Hotel" - operated by the YMCA of Hong Kong and situated at the tip of Kowloon Peninsula right next to the Peninsula Hotel. We had a fabulous suite costing less than $100... Neat, clean, and outstanding value. Our accomodations rivaled many Marriotts or Hiltons we've stayed at. My daughter especially liked that she could use the barre in the YMCA dance studio to practice ballet. This hotel is a usually unsung treasure for tourists.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 7:24 pm

Programs: UNITED MILLION MILER
Cancel the Pennsula and stay at the YMCA. The lobby looks like a train station but the rooms are really wonderful and view between the two terribly ugly buildings with no windows that block the Pensula's view.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My info says that there are three levels of non-suite:

Superior
Deluxe
Harbor View Deluxe

Rack rates for the deluxe is about $50 more than for the superior. For the harbor view, it's about $200 more than the regular deluxe.

So, it doesn't look like the $300 deluxe you found would have a harbor view. I can't tell what the difference between a superior and a non-harbor view deluxe are though.

What dates were you looking at?

d

[This message has been edited by Doppy (edited Dec 22, 2003).]
Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
My info says that there are three levels of non-suite:

Superior
Deluxe
Harbor View Deluxe

Rack rates for the deluxe is about $50 more than for the superior. For the harbor view, it's about $200 more than the regular deluxe.

So, it doesn't look like the $300 deluxe you found would have a harbor view. I can't tell what the difference between a superior and a non-harbor view deluxe are though.

What dates were you looking at?

d

[This message has been edited by Doppy (edited Dec 22, 2003).]
</font>

Hi

Looking at one night on February 8.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 5:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
The view and the floor. Spend a Dollar or two and call them. You might even get a better rate, that happens to me everytime and ask them if you can make a decision upon arrival. They'll show you the room and you'll then be happy.

The Peninsula is just THE hotel. The rooms are fabulous but I would refuse any room that doesn't have a harbour view. When in Hong Kong....

The service is just perfect, the food incredible, try the afternoon tea. It all is about the ambiante. But let us be frank: if your are cost-conscious, forget it. It is no shame and try the Regent. Very spectacular too. Have a good stay.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 9:52 pm

If you have never stayed at the Peninsula, please treat yourself for at least one night to know what really one of the top hotels in the world has to offer.

Lately, the lines for tea have stretched outside to the street. If you are a guest you have a better (guaranteed) chance of having tea.

Not only that, the prices for incidentals, such as room service and laundry are cheaper than the Conrad (shock!). And they have free internet access from your room.

One last thing, the beds are ten times better than the "Heavenly Bed", and I just rave about the HBs.

You will not regret staying at the Peninsula.

Old Dec 25, 2003, 1:08 am

I just had lunch at the Peninsula a few days ago. Gaddi's serves up a quality business lunch for $340 HK which is a lil more than 40 usd. Anyway, peninsula is the shiznit. right now tea time cant be better, the band is playing christmas carols, the stores downstairs are having a big sale.

i stayed there when there was a sars promotion the difference is the view. you will get your five star amenities. its excellent. there are no bad rooms in this hotel. you get your three different news papers daily, fruits, shoes cleaned, large bathrooms(two sides for the guy and girl) and everything else.

dont stay anywhere else!! please have tea there
Old Dec 25, 2003, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
Hi. FYI. There's lots more info on this property in the Luxury Hotels Forum. We had dinner there at Felix - very good and not too expensive. Love the shops at the Pen
Old Dec 25, 2003, 9:00 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Peninsula Hong Kong is probably one of the best, if not "the" best city hotel in the world. It mixes old world British charm with a modern Asian influence. The service is perfect. The rooms are all great, even if you don't have a harbor view (go to Felix for dinner to get your harbor fix )

IMHO, the old Regent (Intercontinental now I guess)just does not hold to candle to the Peninsula. You just feel the history the moment you walk in the lobby. At the end, the intangibles are what makes the difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.