Sneaking into First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sneaking into First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
In my book trying to sneak into the next class or two up be stealing.

Would it bother me enough to notify the crew about it if I saw someone else doing it? Probably not - if the person were sitting quietly.

Would I do it myself?

No.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
In my book trying to sneak into the next class or two up be stealing.

Would it bother me enough to notify the crew about it if I saw someone else doing it? Probably not - if the person were sitting quietly.

Would I do it myself?

No.
I think I would mention it to the FA.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Was seated in a largely empty AA J flying ICN-DFW when a young lady sat down and began enjoying a PDB. Noticed she was nowhere to be found after take off. Can only assume she got the boot!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Amazing that they could boot you out as you were enjoying a pre flight drink.
F on TATL is 5 figures. If a paying customer showed up with that sort of ticket, it makes perfect sense to tell an airline employee on a free ticket to move back.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just a few weeks ago I was on a flight, sitting in first class (3A). A guy comes on late, looks a little shady, plops down in 3B. Flight attendant comes by and asks us (mostly him) for boarding passes. I take out mine, it says 3A. He takes out his, and it says . . . 3A. Hmmm.

The flight attendant quickly noticed though that his boarding pass was for a prior flight on the same airline. She ask him for the rest of the boarding passes in his itinerary, and lo and behold, his boarding pass for this flight was for 25E or something.

The man apologized for his "confusion" and was ushered to the back of the plane.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
F on TATL is 5 figures. If a paying customer showed up with that sort of ticket, it makes perfect sense to tell an airline employee on a free ticket to move back.
Absolutely. Airline staff know they're never safe until the door is closed.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Just a few weeks ago I was on a flight, sitting in first class (3A). A guy comes on late, looks a little shady, plops down in 3B. Flight attendant comes by and asks us (mostly him) for boarding passes. I take out mine, it says 3A. He takes out his, and it says . . . 3A. Hmmm.

The flight attendant quickly noticed though that his boarding pass was for a prior flight on the same airline. She ask him for the rest of the boarding passes in his itinerary, and lo and behold, his boarding pass for this flight was for 25E or something.

The man apologized for his "confusion" and was ushered to the back of the plane.
Now that was innovative !
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jphripjah

That guy is smarter than the average bear...
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Cassie55
Absolutely. Airline staff know they're never safe until the door is closed.
Not even then. I've seen doors re-opened.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Legalities

Whether this is stealing or not is going to depend on the jurisdiction. Another possibility is that this is fraud (which can also be a criminal act) or passing off. It could also be considered accepting the terms of the first / business class ticket and associated fare, and therefore incur contractual liability to pay up.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:35 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by go_around
Whether this is stealing or not is going to depend on the jurisdiction. Another possibility is that this is fraud (which can also be a criminal act) or passing off. It could also be considered accepting the terms of the first / business class ticket and associated fare, and therefore incur contractual liability to pay up.
Hypothetical, flight from LAX to Hawaii, pax moves into FC after the flight is 50 miles (over open water) from LAX, how is the jurisdiction determined?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
Hypothetical, flight from LAX to Hawaii, pax moves into FC after the flight is 50 miles (over open water) from LAX, how is the jurisdiction determined?
US. Flight lands at LAX, US police arrest pax.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
US. Flight lands at LAX, US police arrest pax.
I wonder if we could change that policy so that if it happened over water the FAs could simply open a door and let the passenger "get wet".
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by nrr
Yes, US. And the plane doesn't "lose" jurisdiction once it gets into international airspace. There are various rules governing this but at a minimum the country of registration of the aircraft can have jurisdiction.

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I wonder if we could change that policy so that if it happened over water the FAs could simply open a door and let the passenger "get wet".
Had to laugh at this!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:52 pm

Is there a jurisdiction where this isn't a crime?

Over international waters, where the vessel is flagged is what dictates what laws apply. You can't kill someone just because there's no Republic of Pacific Ocean to charge you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.