Search

Samsonite hardside smell?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2003, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN Companion Pass, former HP Gold and AA Gold
Samsonite hardside smell?

Hi all,

I have a Samsonite hardside, upright (around 30").

I think it is fantastic, except for one thing... The interior had a very strong odor/chemical smell when I bought it (brand new). After a year of use, it still has the same chemical-type smell.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this? I've tried leaving it open in the living room for several weeks and even placing several of those fabric softener sheets in it. After a few days, the heavily-scented sheets stink. Nothing has worked.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim in Hollywood
Old Sep 11, 2003, 9:30 am

my samsonite doesn't smell...

is this like that seinfeld episode where jerry had the foul smelling BMW???
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I have the same problem with another suitcase of mine and would love to hear solutions to this. When I put clothes in there, they come out smelling very "plastic-ky"...

------------------
"There are those who travel, and those who travel well."
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's probably the glues and solvents curing, though a couple of weeks should have taken care of it.

YOu can try fabreeze or one of the other spray on odor eliminators, it will get rod of anything clinging ot the surface, but won't do anything if the plastic and the rest is still curing, that will just start over again. You can also try a mild lysol solution (diluted with water), spray it on and let it dry.

But until whatever it is has fully cured everything is just temporary.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I only buy Samsonite hardsides and none of mine smell. (Even from the first day.)
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Try putting 8-10 pieces of charcoal inside and shutting it for a few days or a bit longer. If that doesn't work put some baking soda in a dish and close up the suitcase for a few days. These two things are great odor absorbers. Good luck.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://us.samsonite.com/webapp/us/se...0001&langId=-1

MisterNice
Old Oct 12, 2003, 11:02 am

Just a question about the Samsonite hardsides (the Oyster, in particular) for any of you who might have one...

Is is possible to keep the suitcase unlocked for TSA inspections while at the same time keeping it 'securely' closed? I am thinking of buying one but am not interested in getting something that I can't use.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 11:32 am

Put it under the sun when you put it out to air, like on your patio or deck.

The UV exposure will acclerate the degradation of the plasticizers which are to blame for the stank, not to mention kill some germs.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler 1K, AA Plat, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat etc etc
Hey Tim! Greetings from down the coast!

A great product for getting rid of smells is Odorzout. It's zeolite, a natural mineral. Available at pet stores and www.odorzout.com.

But I would say that if it's been over a year and you've already done all these other things, most likely that smell is there to stay. I'd take it back if it were mine.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JetBunny:
But I would say that if it's been over a year and you've already done all these other things, most likely that smell is there to stay. I'd take it back if it were mine.</font>
I'd like to see them take back a suitcase that has been exposed to charcoal, Febreeze, baking powder, Gamma Rays or whatever
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:09 am

Programs: UA Million Miler 1K, AA Plat, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat etc etc
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
I'd like to see them take back a suitcase that has been exposed to charcoal, Febreeze, baking powder, Gamma Rays or whatever </font>
Most good luggage, including Samsonite, is warranteed for a decade... and if it's a manufacturing defect (defective glue, wasn't cured properly) - they'll take it back. They'll probably even love the stories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.